- •Aerobic exercise is a promising approach for treating impaired cognition in MS.
- •Supervised exercise presents travel barriers for cognitively-impaired MS patients.
- •This trial involved home-based aerobic walking for impaired cognition in MS.
- •The trial was safe, acceptable, and feasible in cognitively-impaired patients.
- •Exercise was associated with improved cognition relative to control.
Purchase one-time access:Academic & Personal: 24 hour online accessCorporate R&D Professionals: 24 hour online access
One-time access price info
- For academic or personal research use, select 'Academic and Personal'
- For corporate R&D use, select 'Corporate R&D Professionals'
Subscribe:Subscribe to Multiple Sclerosis and Related Disorders
- Feasibility study design and methods for Project GEMS: guidelines for exercise in multiple sclerosis.Contemp. Clin. Trials. 2016; 47: 32-39
- Health promotion by social cognitive means.Health Educ. Behav. 2004; 31: 143-164
- Remote assessment of verbal memory in MS patients using the California verbal learning test.Mult. Scler. 2018; 24: 354-357
- A validation study for remote testing of cognitive function in multiple sclerosis.Mult. Scler. 2020; (1-4)https://doi.org/10.1177/1352458520937385
- Reliability and equivalence of alternate forms for the symbol digit modalities test: implications for multiple sclerosis clinical trials.Mult. Scler. 2012; 18: 1320-1325
- Validity of the Symbol Digit Modalities Test as a cognition performance outcome measure for multiple sclerosis.Mult. Scler. 2017; 23: 721-733
- InterOrganizational practice committee recommendations/guidance for teleneuropsychology (TeleNP) in response to the COVID-19 pandemic.Clin. Neuropsychol. 2020; 34: 7-8
- Cognitive impairment in multiple sclerosis.Lancet Neurol. 2008; 7: 1139-1151
- Statistical Power Analysis For the Behavioral Sciences.2nd ed. Lawrence Erlbaum Associates, Hillsdale, NJ1988
- Fitness effects on the cognitive function of older adults: a meta-analytic study.Psychol. Sci. 2003; 14: 125-130
- Utility of TICS-M for the assessment of cognitive function in older adults.Int. J. Ger. Psychiatry. 2003; 18: 318-324
- California Verbal Learning Test, Second Edition (CVLT-II).Psychological Corporation, San Antonio, TX2000
- Treatment and management of cognitive dysfunction in patients with multiple sclerosis.Nat. Rev. Neurol. 2020; 16: 319-332
- Adherence and drop-out in randomized controlled trials of exercise interventions in people with multiple sclerosis: a systematic review and meta-analysis.Mult. Scler. Relat. Disord. 2020; 43102169
- Persistent pain and uncomfortable sensations in persons with multiple sclerosis.Pain. 2007; 127: 35-41
- The REDCap consortium: building an international community of software platform partners.J. Biomed. Informatics. 2019; 95103208
- Results of a feasibility study of a patient informed, racially tailored home-based exercise program for black persons with multiple sclerosis.Contemp. Clin. Trials. 2018; 75: 1-8
- Important considerations for feasibility studies in physical activity research involving persons with multiple sclerosis: a scoping systematic review and case study.Pilot Feasibility Stud. 2017; 4: 1
- Results of a feasibility randomized controlled study of the guidelines for exercise in multiple sclerosis project.Contemp. Clin. Trials. 2017; 54: 84-97
- Predicting loss of employment over three years in multiple sclerosis: clinically meaningful cognitive decline.Clin. Neuropsychol. 2010; 24: 1131-1145
- Exercise as a countermeasure to declining central nervous system function in multiple sclerosis.Clin. Ther. 2018; 40: 16-25
- Current perspectives on exercise training in the management of multiple sclerosis.Exp. Rev. Neurother. 2020; 20: 855-865
- Cognitive dysfunction and multiple sclerosis: developing a rationale for considering the efficacy of exercise training.Mult. Scler. 2011; 17: 1034-1040
- Exercise training and cognitive rehabilitation: a symbiotic approach for rehabilitating walking and cognitive functions in multiple sclerosis?.Neurorehabil. Neural Repair. 2016; 30: 499-511
- Validation of the Godin leisure-time exercise questionnaire classification coding system using accelerometry in multiple sclerosis.Rehabil. Psychol. 2018; 63: 77-82
- Rationale and design of the STEP for MS Trial: comparative effectiveness of supervised versus telerehabilitation exercise programs for multiple sclerosis.Contemp. Clin. Trials. 2019; 81: 110-122
Motl R.W., Fernhall B., McCully K., et al. (in press). Lessons learned from clinical trials of exercise and physical activity in people with MS – guidance for improving the quality of future research. Mult. Scler. Relat. Disord. 2023.
- Impact of multiple sclerosis relapse: the NARCOMS participant perspective.Mult. Scler. Relat. Disord. 2015; 4: 234-240
- Randomized controlled trial of a behavioral intervention targeting symptoms and physical activity in multiple sclerosis.Mult. Scler. 2014; 20: 594-601
- The safety of exercise training in multiple sclerosis: a systematic review.J. Neurol. Sci. 2014; 343: 3-7
- Improving standards in brain-behavior correlation analysis.Front. Hum. Neurosci. 2012; 6: 119
- Age and disability drive cognitive impairment in multiple sclerosis across disease subtypes.Mult. Scler. 2017; 23: 1258-1267
- Will behavioral treatments for cognitive impairment in multiple sclerosis become standards-of-care?.Int. J. Psychophysiol. 2020; 154: 67-79
- Fitness and cognitive processing speed in persons with multiple sclerosis: a cross-sectional investigation.J. Clin. Exp. Neuropsychol. 2012; 34: 1041-1052
- Association between physical fitness and cognitive function in multiple sclerosis: does disability status matter?.Neurorehabil. Neural Repair. 2015; 29: 214-223
- Acute effects of walking, cycling, and yoga exercise on cognition in persons with relapsing-remitting multiple sclerosis without impaired cognitive processing speed.J. Clin. Exp. Neuropsychol. 2015; 37: 209-219
- Acute effects of varying intensities of treadmill walking exercise on inhibitory control in persons with multiple sclerosis: a pilot investigation.Physiol. Behav. 2016; 154: 20-27
- Systematically-developed pilot randomized controlled trial of exercise and cognition in persons with multiple sclerosis.Neurocase. 2016; 22: 443-450
- Systematic, evidence-based review of exercise, physical activity, and physical fitness effects on cognition in persons with multiple sclerosis.Neuropsychol. Rev. 2016; 26: 271-294
- The influence of cognitive impairment on the fitness/cognition/relationship in MS.Med. Sci. Sports Exerc. 2017; 49: 1184-1189
- Multimodal exercise training in multiple sclerosis: a randomized controlled trial in persons with substantial mobility disability.Contemp. Clin. Trials. 2017; 61: 39-47
- Exercise training effects on memory and hippocampal viscoelasticity in multiple sclerosis: a novel application of magnetic resonance elastography.Neuroradiology. 2017; 59: 61-67
- Integrative CNS plasticity with exercise in MS: the PRIMERS (PRocessing, Integration of Multisensory Exercise-Related Stimuli) conceptual framework.Neurorehabil. Neural Repair. 2018; 32: 847-862
- Effects of walking exercise training on learning and memory and hippocampal neuroimaging outcomes in MS: a targeted, pilot randomized controlled trial.Contemp. Clin. Trials. 2021; 110106563
Sandroff B.M., Motl R.W., Roman C.A.F., et al. (in press). Thalamic atrophy moderates associations among aerobic fitness, cognitive processing speed, and walking endurance in persons with multiple sclerosis. J. Neurol.
- Exercise and cognition in multiple sclerosis: the importance of acute exercise for developing better interventions.Neurosci. Biobehav. Rev. 2015; 59: 173-183
- PEDro: a database of randomized trials and systematic reviews in physiotherapy.Manual Ther. 2000; 5: 223-226
- Symbol Digit Modalities test: Manual.Western Psychological Services, Los Angeles, CA1982
- Sensitivity of conventional memory tests in multiple sclerosis: comparing the Rao brief repeatable neuropsychological battery and the minimal assessment of cognitive function in MS.Mult. Scler. 2009; 15: 1077-1084
- A new look at an old test: normative data of the symbol digit modalities test – oral version.Mult. Scler. Relat. Disord. 2020; 43102154
- Cognition in multiple sclerosis: state of the field and priorities for the future.Neurology. 2018; 90: 278-288
- Revision of the Physical Activity Readiness Questionnaire (PAR-Q).Can. J. Sport Sci. 1992; 17: 338-345