- •RION patients may have antibodies to interfascicular cells of the optic nerve.
- •Binding sites of these antibodies co-localize with those of Sox2-antibody.
- •A subset of RION may be characterized with anti-glial antibodies.
Given the significance of glial cells in maintenance of neurons, antibodies directed against glial cells of the optic nerve might reasonably be expected to have a pathogenic impact in relapsing inflammatory optic neuropathy (RION).
We investigated IgG immunoreactive with the optic nerve tissue by indirect immunohistochemistry using sera of 20 RION patients. Commercial Sox2-antibody was used for double immunolabeling.
Serum IgG of 5 RION patients reacted with cells aligned in the interfascicular regions of the optic nerve. IgG binding sites significantly co-localized with the Sox2-antibody.
Our results suggest that a subset of RION patients may harbor anti-glial antibodies.
To read this article in full you will need to make a payment
Purchase one-time access:Academic & Personal: 24 hour online accessCorporate R&D Professionals: 24 hour online access
One-time access price info
- For academic or personal research use, select 'Academic and Personal'
- For corporate R&D use, select 'Corporate R&D Professionals'
Subscribe:Subscribe to Multiple Sclerosis and Related Disorders
Already a print subscriber? Claim online access
Already an online subscriber? Sign in
Register: Create an account
Institutional Access: Sign in to ScienceDirect
- Sox2 expression defines a heterogeneous population of neurosphere-forming cells in the adult murine brain.Aging Cell. 2005; 4: 197-207
- Aquaporin-4 serostatus and visual outcomes in clinically isolated acute optic neuritis.J. Neuroophthalmol. 2019; 39: 165-169
- Heterogeneity of glia in the retina and optic nerve of birds and mammals.PLoS ONE. 2010; 5: e10774
- Chronic relapsing inflammatory optic neuropathy (CRION): a manifestation of myelin oligodendrocyte glycoprotein antibodies.J. Neuroinflamm. 2018; 15: 302
- Subacute blindness revealing an autoimmune glial fibrillary acidic protein astrocytopathy.Cureus. 2021; 13: e17588
- Mitochondrial carrier homolog 1 (Mtch1) antibodies in neuro-Behçet's disease.J. Neuroimmunol. 2013; 263: 139-144
- Role of glia in optic nerve.Prog. Retin. Eye Res. 2021; 81100886
Published online: March 31, 2023
Accepted: March 30, 2023
Received: February 25, 2023
© 2023 Elsevier B.V. All rights reserved.