- •Governments, families, health workers, social workers and people with MS) should cooperate to improve social support mechanisms.
- •MS directly affects QOL as it follows an unpredictable process and causes loss of physical and social functions
- •Culture is a fundamental part of every society and is significant for the perception of the disease.
- •Receiving free psychological support at the time of diagnosis MS is a necessity.
- •Out-of-pocket health expenditures are extremely common among people with MS.
Purchase one-time access:Academic & Personal: 24 hour online accessCorporate R&D Professionals: 24 hour online access
One-time access price info
- For academic or personal research use, select 'Academic and Personal'
- For corporate R&D use, select 'Corporate R&D Professionals'
Subscribe:Subscribe to Multiple Sclerosis and Related Disorders
- Health-seeking behaviors and its determinants: A facility-based cross-sectional study in the Turkish Republic of Northern Cyprus.Int J Health Policy Manag. 2020; 1 (6PMID: 32613792; PMCID: PMC7382910): 240-249https://doi.org/10.15171/ijhpm.2019.106
- The biopsychosocial model in medical research: the evolution of the health concept over the last two decades.Patient Education and Counseling. 2004; 53 (PMID: 15140464): 239-244https://doi.org/10.1016/s0738-3991(03)00146-0
- WHOQOL-100 und WHOQOL-BREF.in: Handbuch für die deutsche Version der WHO Instrumente zur Erfassung von Lebensqualität. Göttingen: Hogrefe. 2000
- Engelli politikalarında sivil toplum kuruluşlarının rolü: KKTC örneği. [The role of non-governmental organizations in the policies of disabled: Example of Turkish Republic of North Cyprus (TRNC)].Ankara Haci Bayram Veli Üniversitesi, 2019 (Dissertation)
Baflı, M, Ertürk, ÖN, 2022. Only 178 out of 338 employees are actively insured. https://www.kibrispostasi.com/c35-KIBRIS_HABERLERI/n432698-15-gunluk-rapor-aciklandi-62-kacak-isci-98-yatirimsiz-sigortali (accessed 13 January 2023).
- Effect of multiple sclerosis on daily activities, emotional well-being, and relationships: The global vs ms survey.Int J MS Care. 2020; 22: 158-164https://doi.org/10.7224/1537-2073.2018-087
- A review about the impact of multiple sclerosis on health-related quality of life.Disability Rehabilitation. 2003; 25: 1291-1303
- CIHR Team in the Epidemiology and impact of comorbidity on multiple sclerosis (ECoMS). Health-related quality of life in multiple sclerosis: Direct and indirect effects of comorbidity.Neurology. 2016; 12 (15): 1417-1424https://doi.org/10.1212/WNL.0000000000002564
- Out-of-pocket health care expenditure in Turkey: Analysis of the 2003–2008 Household Budget Surveys.Economic Modelling. 2014; 41: 211-218
- In cof a conceptualization of multiple sclerosis: a historical perspective.Neuropsychology Review. 2003; 13: 93-112
- Psychological consequences of COVID-19 pandemic in Italian MS patients: signs of resilience?.Journal of Neurology. 2021; 268: 743-750https://doi.org/10.1007/s00415-020-10099-9
Caraballo, C, Massey, D, Mahajan, S, Lu, Y, Annapureddy, AR, Roy, B, … & Krumholz, H. M., 2020. Racial and ethnic disparities in access to health care among adults in the United States: A 20-year national health interview survey analysis, 1999–2018. https://doi.org/10.1101/2020.10.30.20223420
- Understanding fatigue in paediatric multiple sclerosis: a systematic review of clinical and psychosocial factors.Developmental Medicine&Child Neurology. 2016; 58: 229-239https://doi.org/10.1111/dmcn.12964
- Psychiatric issues in multiple sclerosis.The psychiatric clinics of North America. 2007; 30: 803-817https://doi.org/10.1016/j.psc.2007.07.003
- Posttraumatic stress disorder symptoms in individuals with multiple sclerosis.Psychological Trauma: Theory, Research Practice, and Policy. 2013; 5: 448-452https://doi.org/10.1037/a0029338
- Patient and provider insights into the impact of multiple sclerosis on mental health: A narrative review.Neurol Ther. 2021; 10: 99-119https://doi.org/10.1007/s40120-021-00240-9
- Employment and multiple sclerosis: A meta-analytic review of psychological correlates.Journal of Health Psychology. 2017; : 1-14https://doi.org/10.1177/1359105317691587
- The clinical application of the biopsychosocial model.The Journal of Medicine & Philosophy. 1981; 6: 101-124https://doi.org/10.1093/jmp/6.2.101
- The reliability and validity of the Turkish Version of the world health organization quality of life instrument-older adults module (WHOQOL-Old) Turk.J. Psychiatry. 2010; 21: 37-48
- Quality of life in adults with multiple sclerosis: a systematic review.BMJ open. 2020; 1011e041249
- Cost and health related quality of life consequences of multiple sclerosis.Mult Scler. 2000; 6: 91-98
- Towards a better understanding of MS pain: A systematic review of potentially modifiable psychosocial factors.Journal of Psychosomatic Research. 2015; 78: 12-24
- Multiple sclerosis pathology.Cold Spring Harbor perspectives in medicine. 2018; 8a028936https://doi.org/10.1101/cshperspect.a028936
- Epidemiology of Multiple Sclerosis.Rev Neurol (Paris). 2016; 172: 3-13https://doi.org/10.1016/j.neurol.2015.10.006
- Quality of life and multiple sclerosis: Comparison between people with multiple sclerosis and people from the general population.Journal of Clinical Psychology in Medical Settings. 2002; 9: 287-295https://doi.org/10.1023/A:1020734901150
- Does poorer familiarity with medicare translate into worse access to health care?.Journal of the American Geriatrics Society. 2008; 56: 2053-2060https://doi.org/10.1111/j.1532-5415.2008.01993.x
- Uncovering patterns of real-world psychological support seeking and the patient experience in multiple sclerosis.Multiple Sclerosis and Related Disorders. 2022; 59https://doi.org/10.1016/j.msard.2022.103666
- Physical activity and quality of life in multiple sclerosis: Intermediary roles of disability, fatigue, mood, pain, self-efficacy and social support.Psychology, Health and Medicine. 2009; 14: 111-124
- Multipl sklerozlu hastalarda solunum kas kuvvetinin solunum fonksiyonlarının ve yaşam kalitesinin değerlendirilmesi [Assesment of respiration-muscle strength, respiration functions and quality of life among people with MS].Eastern Mediterranean University, 2016 (Dissertation)
- Insurance covering and service support of MS patients in Iran.in: International MS congress, Berlin. 2002
- The relevance of depressive symptoms and social support to disability in women with multiple sclerosis or fibromyalgia.International Journal of Rehabilitation Research. 2010; 33: 142-150
- Improving health care services in Northern Cyprus: a call for research and action.The European Journal of Public Health. 2012; 22: 754-755
- Unmet needs, burden of treatment, and patient engagement in multiple sclerosis: a combined perspective from the MS in the 21st century steering group.Multiple sclerosis and related disorders. 2018; 19: 153-160
- An integrative model of patients’ perceived value of healthcare service quality in North Cyprus.Arch Public Health. 2021; 79: 227https://doi.org/10.1186/s13690-021-00738-6
- Health promoting behaviors and quality of life among individuals with multiple sclerosis.Scholarly Inquiry for Nursing Practice. 1995; 9: 31-50
- Quality of life and psychological well-being in the early stages of multiple sclerosis (MS): Importance of adopting a biopsychosocial model.Disability Health Journal. 2018; 11: 555-561https://doi.org/10.1016/j.dhjo.2018.05.003
- Biopsychosocial models in cancer care: application of a counseling model of wellness.Journal of Counselor Leadership and Advocacy. 2021; 8: 116-129https://doi.org/10.1080/2326716X.2021.1946665
- The World Health Organisation Quality of Life assessment (WHOQOL): position paper from the World Health Organisation.Soc. Sci. Med. 1995; 41: 1403
- Worries and concerns of patients with multiple sclerosis: Development of an assesment scale.Multiple Sclerosis. 2006; 12: 196-203
- Association between health insurance literacy and avoidance of health care services owing to cost.JAMA Network Open. 2018; 1: 1-8https://doi.org/10.1001/jamanetworkopen.2018.4796
- More participation, happier society? A comparative study of civil society and the quality of life.Social indicators research. 2009; 93: 255-274
World Health Organization. 1996. Division of mental health. WHOQOL-BREF introduction, administration, scoring and generic version of the assessment: field trial version, December
- Quality of life assessment in multiple sclerosis: Different perception between patients and neurologists.Frontiers in Neurology. 2018; 8: 1-6