- •Access to healthcare may be disproportionately reduced at times of crisis such as bushfires and the COVID-19 pandemic.
- •Persons with MS and care providers noted reduced access to MS healthcare during the 2019/20 Australian Bushfires and the COVID-10 pandemic.
- •The MS community seek a single source of information, during times of crises.
- •The MS community should be involved in discussions when plans and policies are created to maintain access to care at times of crises.
Purchase one-time access:Academic & Personal: 24 hour online accessCorporate R&D Professionals: 24 hour online access
One-time access price info
- For academic or personal research use, select 'Academic and Personal'
- For corporate R&D use, select 'Corporate R&D Professionals'
Subscribe:Subscribe to Multiple Sclerosis and Related Disorders
Australian Bureau of Statistics. Selected living cost indexes [Internet]. 2022 [cited 2022 Sep 20]. Available from: https://www.abs.gov.au/statistics/economy/price-indexes-and-inflation/selected-living-cost-indexes-australia/latest-release.
- People With Disability in Australia 2022.AIHW, Australian Government., 2022 (Catalogue Number DIS 72)
- Qualitative research: deductive and inductive approaches to data analysis.Qual. Res. J. 2018; 18: 383-400
- Homeless and Looking for Help – Why People With Disability and Their Carers Fare Worse After Floods.The Conversation, 2022 (Mar)
- Australian National University Poll 2020: Bushfires, the Environment, and Optimism for the Future.ADA Dataverse, 2020
- The quality of quality criteria: replicating the development of the Consolidated Criteria for Reporting Qualitative Research (COREQ).Int. J. Nurs. Stud. 2020; 102: 103452
- Change in multiple sclerosis prevalence over time in Australia 2010-2017 utilising disease-modifying therapy prescription data.Mult. Scler. Houndmills Basingstoke Engl. 2019; 26: 1315-1328
- Health care workers’ experiences during the COVID-19 pandemic: a scoping review.Hum. Resour. Health. 2022; 20 (Dec): 27
- Multiple sclerosis - a review.Eur. J. Neurol. 2019; 26 (Jan): 27-40
- The Health Effects of the 2019-20 Bushfires.Grattan Institute, 2020
- Impact of Australia's catastrophic 2019/20 bushfire season on communities and environment. Retrospective analysis and current trends.J. Saf. Sci. Resil. 2020; 1: 44-56
- Telehealth in the context of COVID-19: changing perspectives in Australia, the United Kingdom, and the United States.J. Med. Internet Res. 2020; 22 (Jun 9): e19264
- Distress and satisfaction with research participation: impact on retention in longitudinal disaster research.Int. J. Disaster Risk Reduct. 2018; 27 (Mar 1): 68-74
- Disease steps in multiple sclerosis a simple approach to evaluate disease progression.Neurology. 1995; 45: 251-255
- Universal Telehealth extended Through 2021.Australian Government Department of Health, 2021
- The impact of the COVID-19 pandemic on physical therapy practice for people with multiple sclerosis: a multicenter survey study of the RIMS network.Mult. Scler. Relat. Disord. 2022; 62 (Apr 10)103799
- Hunt for Missing People After Floods Hit East Coast of Australia.The Times, 2022 ([Internet]Mar 3; Available from)https://www.thetimes.co.uk/article/hunt-for-missing-people-goes-on-after-floods-hit-east-coast-of-australia-7kbq8gpvd
- Exercise participation and promotion in the multiple sclerosis community; perspectives across varying socio-ecological levels.Disabil. Rehabil. 2020; 43: 3623-3638
- The impact of the Australian black summer bushfires and the COVID-19 pandemic on wellbeing in persons with multiple sclerosis; preparation for future and ongoing crises.Disabil. Rehabil. 2022; ([Internet][cited 2022 Feb 18]; Available from)https://doi.org/10.1080/09638288.2022.2037756
- Impact of telehealth on health care in a multiple sclerosis outpatient clinic during the COVID-19 pandemic.Mult. Scler. Relat. Disord. 2022; 63 (Jul)103913
- The effect of the Australian bushfires and the COVID-19 pandemic on health behaviours in people with multiple sclerosis.Mult. Scler. Relat. Disord. 2021; 53103042
- Multiple sclerosis management during the COVID-19 pandemic.Mult. Scler. J. 2020; 26: 1163-1171
Palmer A.J., Campbell J., van der Mei I., Taylor B. Health economic impact of multiple sclerosis in Australia in 2017 executive summary an analysis of MS research Australia's platform – the Australian MS longitudinal study (AMSLS). 2017.
- ‘They're getting a taste of our world’: a qualitative study of people with multiple sclerosis’ experiences of accessing health care during the COVID-19 pandemic in the Australian capital territory.Health Expect. 2021; 24: 1607-1617
- Impact of COVID-19 on multiple sclerosis care and management: results from the European committee for treatment and research in multiple sclerosis survey.Mult. Scler. J. 2022; 28 (Jan 1): 132-138
- The sendai framework for disaster risk reduction and persons with disabilities.Int. J. Disaster Risk Sci. 2015; 6 (Jun 1): 140-149
- Person-Centred Emergency Preparedness (PCEP) Planning for COVID-19. A Resource Produced for the Queensland Government Department of Communities, Disability Services and Seniors.Queenslanders with Disability Network and The University of Sydney, 2020