- •The study demonstrated that plasma AIMP1 levels were dramatically elevated in patients with acute AQP4-IgG+ NMOSD than in HCs.
- •High-dose intravenous methylprednisolone therapy significantly reduced the levels of AIMP1 in patients with acute AQP4-IgG+ NMOSD.
- •Plasma AIMP1 levels in clinically remission NMOSD patients decreased but were still higher than in HCs.
- •The plasma AIMP1 levels positively correlated with EDSS scores and negatively correlated with serum C3 concentrations in patients with acute AQP4-IgG+ NMOSD.
Background and objectives
Aminoacyl-tRNA synthetase complex interacting with multifunctional protein-1 (AIMP1) has been reported to carry pro-inflammatory properties and anti-angiogenesis effects. However, the exact role of AIMP1 in patients with NMOSD is not yet clear. Our objective was to investigate the relationship between plasma AIMP1 levels and disease severity in patients with AQP4-IgG+ NMOSD from North China based on the Expanded Disability Status Scale (EDSS) score.
Plasma AIMP1 levels were measured using ELISA kits in 94 patients with AQP4-IgG+NMOSD (48 in the acute phase before high-dose intravenous methylprednisolone (IVMP) therapy, 21 in the acute phase after IVMP therapy, 25 in the clinical remission-phase)as well as 33 healthy controls (HCs). The disability function of NMOSD patients was evaluated using the EDSS score. Furthermore, the clinical characteristics of the patients were also evaluated, and laboratory tests were performed on blood samples.
The plasma AIMP1 levels in AQP4-IgG+NMOSD patients with acute phase before IVMP therapy were significantly higher as compared to those in patients after the IVMP therapy (p < 0.001) as well as those in the clinical remission phase (p = 0.021) or HCs (p < 0.001). Plasma AIMP1 levels were positively correlated with EDSS scores (r = 0.485, p < 0.001) and negatively correlated with serum complement 3 concentrations (r =-0.452, p = 0.001). AIMP1 exhibited the potential to distinguish NMOSD from HCs (AUROC 0.820, p < 0.0001) and could differentiate mild and moderate-severe NMOSD (AUROC 0.790, p = 0.0006). Furthermore, plasma AIMP1 levels of ≥49.55pg/mL were found to be an independent predictor of the risk for moderate-severe NMOSD (with OR 0.03, 95%CI 0.001–0.654, p = 0.026).
AIMP1 may be involved in the pathogenesis of AQP4-IgG+NMOSD disease and predict the disease activity, severity, or effect of treatment in patients with NMOSD. Further studies should be performed to reveal the precise mechanisms of AQP4-IgG+NMOSD.
To read this article in full you will need to make a payment
Purchase one-time access:Academic & Personal: 24 hour online accessCorporate R&D Professionals: 24 hour online access
One-time access price info
- For academic or personal research use, select 'Academic and Personal'
- For corporate R&D use, select 'Corporate R&D Professionals'
Subscribe:Subscribe to Multiple Sclerosis and Related Disorders
Already a print subscriber? Claim online access
Already an online subscriber? Sign in
Register: Create an account
Institutional Access: Sign in to ScienceDirect
- Serum aminoacyl-tRNA synthetase-interacting multifunctional protein-1 (AIMP1), a novel disease activity predictive biomarker of systemic lupus erythematosus.Clin. Exp. Rheumatol. 2018; 36: 533-539
- Serum Aminoacyl-tRNA Synthetase-Interacting Multifunctional Protein-1 Can Predict Severe Antineutrophil Cytoplasmic Antibody-Associated Vasculitis: a Pilot Monocentric Study.Biomed Res Int. 2019; 20197508240
- Neuromyelitis optica pathology in rats following intraperitoneal injection of NMO-IgG and intracerebral needle injury.Acta Neuropathol. Commun. 2014; 2: 48
- Endothelial monocyte activating polypeptide II induces endothelial cell apoptosis and may inhibit tumor angiogenesis.Microvasc. Res. 2000; 60: 70-80
- Microglia-derived TNF-α mediates endothelial necroptosis aggravating blood brain-barrier disruption after ischemic stroke.Cell Death Dis. 2019; 10: 487
- MiR-429 regulated by endothelial monocyte activating polypeptide-II (EMAP-II) influences blood-tumor barrier permeability by inhibiting the expressions of ZO-1, Occludin and Claudin-5.Front. Mol. Neurosci. 2018; 11: 35
- Changes in disability in people with multiple sclerosis: a 10-year prospective study.J. Neurol. 2018; 265: 119-126
- The IgG Fc receptor family.Ann. Hematol. 1998; 76: 231-248
- The role of anti-DNA antibodies in the development of lupus nephritis: a complementary, or alternative, viewpoint?.Semin. Nephrol. 2015; 35: 439-443
- Molecular network and functional implications of macromolecular tRNA synthetase complex.Biochem. Biophys. Res. Commun. 2003; 303: 985-993
- Aminoacyl-tRNA synthetase-interacting multifunctional protein 1/p43 controls endoplasmic reticulum retention of heat shock protein gp96: its pathological implications in lupus-like autoimmune diseases.Am. J. Pathol. 2007; 170: 2042-2054
- The antibody atliximab attenuates collagen-induced arthritis by neutralizing AIMP1, an inflammatory cytokine that enhances osteoclastogenesis.Biomaterials. 2015; 44: 45-54
- AIMP1/p43 protein induces the maturation of bone marrow-derived dendritic cells with T helper type 1-polarizing ability.J. Immunol. 2008; 180: 2894-2902
- Toll-like receptor 4-mediated c-Jun N-terminal kinase activation induces gp96 cell surface expression via AIMP1 phosphorylation.Biochem. Biophys. Res. Commun. 2010; 397: 100-105
- Aminoacyl tRNA Synthetase-interacting multifunctional protein 1 acts as a Novel B cell-activating factor in vitro and in vivo.J. Immunol. 2015; 194: 4729-4736
- AIMP1 regulates TCR signaling and induces differentiation of regulatory T cells by interfering with lipid raft association.Biochem. Biophys. Res. Commun. 2019; 514: 875-880
- Aminoacyl tRNA synthetase–interacting multifunctional protein 1 activates NK cells via macrophages in vitro and in vivo.J. Immunol. 2017; 198: 4140-4147
- A cofactor of tRNA synthetase, p43, is secreted to up-regulate proinflammatory genes.J. Biol. Chem. 2001; 276: 23028-23033
- Rating neurologic impairment in multiple sclerosis: an expanded disability status scale (EDSS).Neurology. 1983; 33: 1444-1452
- A serum autoantibody marker of neuromyelitis optica: distinction from multiple sclerosis.Lancet. 2004; 364: 2106-2112
- Stepping out of the cytosol: AIMp1/p43 potentiates the link between innate and adaptive immunity.Int. Rev. Immunol. 2015; 34: 367-381
- AIMp1 potentiates TH1 polarization and is critical for effective antitumor and antiviral immunity.Front. Immunol. 2017; 8: 1801
- Impact of blood-brain barrier disruption on newly diagnosed neuromyelitis optica spectrum disorder symptoms and prognosis.Ann. Palliat. Med. 2020; 9: 324-330
- The pathology of an autoimmune astrocytopathy: lessons learned from neuromyelitis optica.Brain Pathol. 2014; 24: 83-97
- NMOSD acute attack: understanding, treatment and innovative treatment prospect.J. Neuroimmunol. 2020; 348577387
- Role of the blood-brain barrier in multiple sclerosis.Arch. Med. Res. 2014; 45: 687-697
- C3 and C4 complement levels in AQP4-IgG-positive NMOSD and in MOGAD.J. Neuroimmunol. 2021; 360577699
- Dose-dependent biphasic activity of tRNA synthetase-associating factor, p43, in angiogenesis.J. Biol. Chem. 2002; 277: 45243-45248
- The clinical value of complement proteins in differentiating AQP4-IgG-positive from MOG-IgG-positive neuromyelitis optica spectrum disorders.Mult. Scler. Relat. Disord. 2019; 35: 1-4
- The p43 component of the mammalian multi-synthetase complex is likely to be the precursor of the endothelial monocyte-activating polypeptide II cytokine.J. Biol. Chem. 1997; 272: 32573-32579
- Anti-dsDNA antibodies as a classification criterion and a diagnostic marker for systemic lupus erythematosus: critical remarks.Clin. Exp. Immunol. 2015; 179
- Blood-brain barrier dysfunction in immuno-mediated neurological diseases.Immunol. Med. 2018; 41: 120-128
- Impact on healthcare resource utilization of multiple sclerosis in Spain.BMC Health Serv. Res. 2017; 17: 854
- Staging of astrocytopathy and complement activation in neuromyelitis optica spectrum disorders.Brain. 2021; 144: 2401-2415
- Astrocytic damage is far more severe than demyelination in NMO: a clinical CSF biomarker study.Neurology. 2010; 75: 208-216
- Endothelial-monocyte-activating polypeptide II.Int. J. Biochem. Cell Biol. 1996; 28: 837-841
- Autocrine MMP-2/9 secretion increases the BBB permeability in neuromyelitis optica.J. Neurol. Neurosurg. Psychiatry. 2014; 85: 419-430
- Blood-brain barrier disruption is more severe in neuromyelitis optica than in multiple sclerosis and correlates with clinical disability.J. Int. Med. Res. 2012; 40: 1483-1491
- Blood brain barrier permeability could be a biomarker to predict severity of neuromyelitis optica spectrum disorders: a retrospective analysis.Front. Neurol. 2018; 9: 648
- International consensus diagnostic criteria for neuromyelitis optica spectrum disorders.Neurology. 2015; 85: 177-189
- Neuromyelitis optica spectrum disorder: pathogenesis, treatment, and experimental models.Mult. Scler. Relat. Disord. 2019; 27: 412-418
- Efficacy of intravenous methylprednisolone pulse therapy in patients with multiple sclerosis and neuromyelitis optica.Mult. Scler. 2016; 22: 1337-1348
- Disruption of blood-brain barrier integrity associated with brain lesions in Chinese neuromyelitis optica spectrum disorder patients.Mult. Scler. Relat. Disord. 2019; 27: 254-259
Published online: January 03, 2023
Accepted: January 2, 2023
Received in revised form: October 18, 2022
Received: July 20, 2022
© 2023 Published by Elsevier B.V.