- •Shahroud county is one of the high-risk areas for MS and MS incidence in it is similar to global changes.
- •The average age at the time of diagnosis of the patients remained relatively stable over the time.
- •The MS incidence has increased by 34% from 2005 to 2020 in shahroud county.
- •It is forecasted that the MS incidence will increase in the coming years in shahroud county.
In recent years dramatic changes in multiple sclerosis (MS) incidence have been reported in different provinces in Iran. This study was conducted to assess MS incidence temporal trends from March 21, 2005, to March 20, 2020, and provide a forecast until the end of 2025 in Shahroud county.
This longitudinal study was carried out based on the data obtained from the MS registration system in Shahroud county. First, the annual incidence rates were calculated based on the year of diagnosis and smoothed using the Empirical Bayesian Method. Then temporal trends and annual percent change (APC) of MS incidence were analyzed using Joinpoint (JP) regression. Finally, the univariate time series model analysis was used to estimate the MS incidence trend until the end of 2025.
A total of 234 newly diagnosed cases (60 [25.64%] males and 174 [74.36.4%] females) were examined in this study. The mean age of patients at the time of diagnosis was 31.40 ± 3.78. It was 32.01 ± 6.35 and 30.66 ± 4.27 years for males and females, respectively (P<0.22). The mean annual MS incidence was 5.99 ± 1.46, 3.03 ± 0.21, and 8.98 ± 2.79 per 100,000 in overall, males and females respectively. The MS incidence increased significantly from 5.67 (95% CI: 3.63–7.99) in 2005 to 7.58 (95% CI: 5.17–10.28) in 2020 with an APC of 4.5 (2.8 – 6.1). The MS incidence had a non-linear time trend in the study period and the best time trend fitted to the annual MS incidence trend was the non-linear quadratic curve. Based on this model, the annual MS incidence is expected to increase until the end of 2025.
Shahroud county is one of the high-risk areas for MS and the increasing trend of MS incidence in it is similar to regional and global changes. This study, also, showed that MS incidence in Shahroud county will be increasing in the coming years.
To read this article in full you will need to make a payment
Purchase one-time access:Academic & Personal: 24 hour online accessCorporate R&D Professionals: 24 hour online access
One-time access price info
- For academic or personal research use, select 'Academic and Personal'
- For corporate R&D use, select 'Corporate R&D Professionals'
Subscribe:Subscribe to Multiple Sclerosis and Related Disorders
Already a print subscriber? Claim online access
Already an online subscriber? Sign in
Register: Create an account
Institutional Access: Sign in to ScienceDirect
- Waterpipe smoking associated with multiple sclerosis: a population-based incident case–control study.Mult. Scler. J. 2017; 23: 1328-1335
- Establishing the incidence and prevalence of multiple sclerosis in Saskatchewan.Can. J. Neurol. Sci. 2018; 45: 295-303
- Increasing prevalence and incidence rates of multiple sclerosis in Kuwait.Mult. Scler. J. 2014; 20: 543-547
- Multiple sclerosis projection in Tehran, Iran using Bayesian structural time series.BMC Neurol. 2021; 21: 1-6
- Prevalence of cigarette smoking in Iranian adolescents and young adults: a systematic review and meta-analysis.East Mediterr. Health J. 2021; 27: 612-628
- Prevalence of vitamin D deficiency among pregnant women in Iran: a systematic review and meta-analysis.Koomesh. 2017; : 19
- An example of the usefulness of joinpoint trend analysis for assessing changes in traffic safety policies.Accident Anal. Prevention. 2015; 75: 292-297
- PM2. 5 exposure as a risk factor for multiple sclerosis. An ecological study with a Bayesian mapping approach.Environ. Sci. Pollution Res. 2021; 28: 2804-2809
- Reconstruction of human evolution: bringing together genetic, archaeological, and linguistic data.Proc. Natl. Acad. Sci. 1988; 85: 6002-6006
- Smoking and its related factors among Iranian high school students.Iran J. Psychiatry Behav. Sci. 2015; : 9
- Age and sex-adjusted incidence and yearly prevalence of multiple sclerosis (MS) in Mazandaran province, Iran: an 11-years study.PLoS One. 2020; 15e0235562
- Increasing incidence of multiple sclerosis among women in Lorraine, Eastern France.Mult. Scler. J. 2007; 13: 962-967
- Environmental factors and multiple sclerosis.Lancet Neurol. 2008; 7: 268-277
- Empirical Bayes methods for combining likelihoods.J. Am. Stat. Assoc. 1996; 91: 538-550
- Incidence of multiple sclerosis in Iceland, 2002–2007: a population-based study.Mult. Scler. J. 2011; 17: 909-913
- Obesity and underweight: serious health problems in Iranian primary school children.Pediatr. Int. 2019; 61: 1030-1035
- Multiple sclerosis in Isfahan, Iran: an update.Mult. Scler. J. 2014; 20: 1145-1147
- Sharp increase in the incidence and prevalence of multiple sclerosis in Isfahan, Iran.Mult. Scler. J. 2011; 17: 1022-1027
- Temporal Incidence and Prevalence Trends of Multiple Sclerosis in Markazi Province, Iran.Mult. Scler. Relat. Disord. 2022; 60103691
- National estimate of multiple sclerosis incidence in France (2001–2007).Mult. Scler. J. 2012; 18: 1108-1115
- The utility of joinpoint regression for estimating population parameters given changes in population structure.Heliyon. 2019; 5: e02515
- Prevalence and incidence of multiple sclerosis in Panama (2000–2005).Neuroepidemiology. 2009; 32: 287-293
- Multiple sclerosis incidence and prevalence trends in the province of Padua, Northeast Italy, 1965–2018.Neuroepidemiology. 2019; 52: 41-46
- Incidence of multiple sclerosis in Iran: a nationwide, population-based study.Public Health. 2019; 175: 138-144
- Geographic variations of multiple sclerosis in Iran: a population based study.Mult. Scler. Relat. Disord. 2019; 28: 244-249
- Is the sharp increasing trend of multiple sclerosis incidence real in Iran?.BMC Neurol. 2021; 21: 1-5
- Increased prevalence, incidence, and female predominance of multiple sclerosis in northern Japan.J. Neurol. Sci. 2012; 323: 117-122
- Thinness, overweight and obesity in a national sample of Iranian children and adolescents: CASPIAN Study.Child Care Health Dev. 2008; 34: 44-54
- Apparent changes in the epidemiology and severity of multiple sclerosis.Nat. Rev. Neurol. 2021; 17: 676-688
- Rising incidence of multiple sclerosis in females associated with urbanization.Neurology. 2012; 78: 1728-1735
- Multiple sclerosis incidence: a systematic review of change over time by geographical region.Mult. Scler. Relat. Disord. 2022; 103932
- Temporal trends of multiple sclerosis disease activity: electronic health records indicators.Mult. Scler. Relat. Disord. 2022; 57103333
- Empirical Bayes estimation of proportions with application to cowbird parasitism rates.Ecology. 1996; 77: 2528-2537
- Is the Iranian revolution to blame for the increasing incidence of multiple sclerosis in Iran?.Neuroepidemiology. 2013; 40: 68-69
- Survey of tendency of Hormozgan people to using of Hubble-Bubble smoking.Hakim J. 2001; 4: 298-304
- Incidence and prevalence of multiple sclerosis in Olmsted County, Minnesota, 1985–2000.Neurology. 2003; 61: 1373-1377
- Female reproductive issues in multiple sclerosis.Mult. Scler. J. 2013; 19: 392-402
- 18-year temporal trend of multiple sclerosis in southern Iran.Mult. Scler. Relat. Disord. 2021; 52103018
- Epidemiology of multiple sclerosis in Torbat-e Heydarieh (Northeast of Iran) during 1982-2016.Mult. Scler. Relat. Disord. 2018; 24: 184-189
- Prevalence and incidence of multiple sclerosis in Ardabil, Northwest of Iran.Mult. Scler. Relat. Disord. 2021; 47102605
- Time-trend analysis and developing a forecasting model for the prevalence of multiple sclerosis in Kohgiluyeh and Boyer-Ahmad Province, southwest of Iran.Public Health. 2018; 154: 14-23
- Childhood body mass index and multiple sclerosis risk: a long-term cohort study.Mult. Scler. J. 2013; 19: 1323-1329
Nabavi, M., Karimi, B., Ghorbani, R., Mazloum, J.M. & Talebi, M. 2010. Prevalence of obesity and some related factors among students aged 7 to 12 in Semnan, Iran.
- Association between air pollution and Multiple Sclerosis: a systematic review.Environ. Res. 2021; 196110386
- Sex ratio of multiple sclerosis in Canada: a longitudinal study.Lancet Neurol. 2006; 5: 932-936
- Prevalence and incidence of multiple sclerosis in western Greece: a 23-year survey.Neuroepidemiology. 2008; 30: 167-173
- Multiple sclerosis epidemiology in Finland: regional differences and high incidence.Acta Neurol. Scand. 2019; 139: 353-359
- Association of smoking with risk of multiple sclerosis: a population-based study.J. Neurol. 2013; 260: 1778-1781
- Ongoing increase in incidence and prevalence of multiple sclerosis in Newcastle, Australia: a 50-year study.Mult. Scler. J. 2017; 23: 1063-1071
- Temporal trends of incidence and prevalence of multiple sclerosis in Razavi Khorasan Province, Northeast Iran.Neurolog. Sci. 2022; 43: 583-591
- Marked differences in prevalence of multiple sclerosis between ethnic groups in Oslo, Norway.J. Neurol. 2008; 255: 49-55
- Will Rogers phenomenon in multiple sclerosis.Ann. Neurol. 2008; 64: 428-433
- Increasing incidence in relapsing-remitting MS and high rates among young women in Finland: a thirty-year follow-up.Mult. Scler. Int. 2014; : 2014
- Prevalence of hookah smoking among Iranian pupils and university students: an updated systematic review and meta-analysis.Clin. Respir. J. 2022;
Published online: December 15, 2022
Accepted: December 14, 2022
Received in revised form: November 5, 2022
Received: September 20, 2022
© 2022 Elsevier B.V. All rights reserved.