- •State and trait anxiety are highly prevalent in people with multiple sclerosis (PwMS).
- •State anxiety is more frequent among subjects with a recent MS diagnosis.
- •PwMS and clinically relevant state anxiety more often display MRI disease activity.
- •Trait anxiety is more prevalent among female PwMS with higher severity of fatigue.
- •Both state and trait anxiety are associated with higher depression severity.
Purchase one-time access:Academic & Personal: 24 hour online accessCorporate R&D Professionals: 24 hour online access
One-time access price info
- For academic or personal research use, select 'Academic and Personal'
- For corporate R&D use, select 'Corporate R&D Professionals'
Subscribe:Subscribe to Multiple Sclerosis and Related Disorders
- Prevalence of Depression and Anxiety among Patients with Multiple Sclerosis Attending the MS Clinic at Sheikh Khalifa Medical City, UAE: Cross-Sectional Study.Mult. Scler. Int. 2015; 2015https://doi.org/10.1155/2015/487159
- Sex differences in anxiety and depression clinical perspectives.Front. Neuroendocrinol. 2014; 35: 320-330https://doi.org/10.1016/J.YFRNE.2014.05.004
- Multidimensional assessment of anxiety through the State-Trait Inventory for Cognitive and Somatic Anxiety (STICSA): From dimensionality to response prediction across emotional contexts.PLoS One. 2022; 17https://doi.org/10.1371/JOURNAL.PONE.0262960
- Beck Depression Inventory–II (BDI–II).San Antonio, TX: Harcou1996 (ed, Pearson.)
- Prevalence of depression and anxiety in Multiple Sclerosis: A systematic review and meta-analysis.J. Neurol. Sci. 2017; https://doi.org/10.1016/j.jns.2016.11.067
- Prospective examination of anxiety and depression before and during confirmed and pseudoexacerbations in patients with multiple sclerosis.Psychosom. Med. 2013; 75: 76-82https://doi.org/10.1097/PSY.0b013e3182757b2b
- A systematic review of anxiety amongst people with Multiple Sclerosis.Mult. Scler. Relat. Disord. 2016; 10: 145-168https://doi.org/10.1016/J.MSARD.2016.10.003
- Cognitive and neuropsychiatric disorders among multiple sclerosis patients from Latin America: Results of the RELACCEM study.Mult. Scler. Relat. Disord. 2014; 3: 335-340https://doi.org/10.1016/j.msard.2013.10.007
- Is there a link between inflammation and fatigue in multiple sclerosis?.J. Inflamm. Res. 2018; 11: 253-264https://doi.org/10.2147/JIR.S167199
- Anxiety in Argentinian patients with multiple sclerosis: Prevalence and associated factors.Mult. Scler. Relat. Disord. 2020; 41https://doi.org/10.1016/j.msard.2020.102042
- Unveiling the relationship between autonomic involvement, fatigue, and cognitive dysfunction in early relapsing-remitting multiple sclerosis.Neurol. Sci. 2021; 42: 4281-4287https://doi.org/10.1007/S10072-021-05487-6
- The link between multiple sclerosis and depression.Nat. Rev. Neurol. 2014; https://doi.org/10.1038/nrneurol.2014.139
- Guidelines from The Italian Neurological and Neuroradiological Societies for the use of magnetic resonance imaging in daily life clinical practice of multiple sclerosis patients.Neurol. Sci. 2013; 34: 2085-2093https://doi.org/10.1007/S10072-013-1485-7
- Predictors of depression in multiple sclerosis patients.Acta Neurol. Scand. 2010; 121: 161-170https://doi.org/10.1111/J.1600-0404.2009.01232.X
- Anxiety and depression in multiple sclerosis patients around diagnosis.J. Neurol. Sci. 2011; 307: 86-91https://doi.org/10.1016/J.JNS.2011.05.008
- A 60-year follow-up of the incidence and prevalence of multiple sclerosis in Hordaland County, Western Norway.J. Neurol. Neurosurg. Psychiatry. 2016; 87: 100-105https://doi.org/10.1136/jnnp-2014-309906
- Anxiety and depression in Multiple Sclerosis (MS): Antecedents, consequences, and differential impact on well-being and quality of life.Mult. Scler. Relat. Disord. 2020; 44102261https://doi.org/10.1016/j.msard.2020.102261
- The impact of health anxiety in patients with relapsing remitting multiple sclerosis: Misperception, misattribution and quality of life.Br. J. Clin. Psychol. 2016; 55: 371-386https://doi.org/10.1111/bjc.12106
- Fatigue in multiple sclerosis: an example of cytokine mediated sickness behaviour?.J. Neurol. Neurosurg. Psychiatry. 2006; 77: 34-39https://doi.org/10.1136/JNNP.2005.065805
- Fear of patients related to coronary arteriography.J. Adv. Nurs. 1998; 28: 54-62https://doi.org/10.1046/J.1365-2648.1998.00764.X
- Psychiatric co-morbidity in multiple sclerosis: The risk of depression and anxiety before and after MS diagnosis.Mult. Scler. 2016; 22: 347-353https://doi.org/10.1177/1352458515588973
- DSM-5 personality traits and DSM-IV personality disorders.J. Abnorm. Psychol. 2012; 121: 424-432
- Confounding and collinearity in regression analysis: a cautionary tale and an alternative procedure, illustrated by studies of British voting behaviour.Qual. Quant. 2018; 52: 1957-1976https://doi.org/10.1007/s11135-017-0584-6
- A large-scale study of anxiety and depression in people with Multiple Sclerosis: a survey via the web portal of the UK MS Register.PLoS One. 2012; 7https://doi.org/10.1371/JOURNAL.PONE.0041910
- Somatic symptoms of depression and anxiety in people with multiple sclerosis.Int. J. MS Care. 2018; 20: 145-152https://doi.org/10.7224/1537-2073.2017-069
- Prevalence of anxiety, depression, and stress in patients with multiple sclerosis in Kermanshah-Iran: a cross-sectional study.BMC Psychiatry. 2020; 20https://doi.org/10.1186/S12888-020-02579-Z
- A comparison of anxiety symptoms and correlates of anxiety in people with progressive and relapsing-remitting multiple sclerosis.Mult. Scler. Relat. Disord. 2022; 63103918
- Peripheral cytokine and chemokine alterations in depression: a meta-analysis of 82 studies.Acta Psychiatr. Scand. 2017; 135: 373-387https://doi.org/10.1111/ACPS.12698
- The fatigue severity scale: Application to patients with multiple sclerosis and systemic lupus erythematosus.Arch. Neurol. 1989; 46: 1121-1123https://doi.org/10.1001/archneur.1989.00520460115022
- Rating neurologic impairment in multiple sclerosis: an expanded disability status scale (EDSS).Neurology. 1983; 33: 1444-1452https://doi.org/10.1212/WNL.33.11.1444
- How personality traits affect functional outcomes in patients with multiple sclerosis: A scoping review on a poorly understood topic.Mult. Scler. Relat. Disord. 2020; 46https://doi.org/10.1016/J.MSARD.2020.102560
- Diabetes and anxiety adversely affect cognition in multiple sclerosis.Mult. Scler. Relat. Disord. 2019; 27: 164-170https://doi.org/10.1016/j.msard.2018.10.018
- Insights into the Pathophysiology of Psychiatric Symptoms in Central Nervous System Disorders: Implications for Early and Differential Diagnosis.Int. J. Mol. Sci. 2021; 22: 4440https://doi.org/10.3390/ijms22094440
- Multiple sclerosis relapses and depression.J. Psychosom. Res. 2012; 73: 272-276https://doi.org/10.1016/j.jpsychores.2012.08.004
- Neuropsychiatric syndromes of multiple sclerosis.J. Neurol. Neurosurg. Psychiatry. 2017; 88: 697-708https://doi.org/10.1136/jnnp-2016-315367
- Symptom overlap in anxiety and multiple sclerosis.Mult. Scler. J. 2013; 19: 1349-1354https://doi.org/10.1177/1352458513476742
- Depression in multiple sclerosis.Int. Rev. Psychiatry. 2017; 29: 463-472https://doi.org/10.1080/09540261.2017.1322555
Pedrabissi, L., Santinello, M., 1989. Nuova versione italiana dello S.T.A.I. – Forma Y. Firenze.
- The prevalence of anxiety and associated factors in persons with multiple sclerosis.Mult. Scler. Relat. Disord. 2018; 19: 35-39https://doi.org/10.1016/j.msard.2017.11.003
- Predictors of clinically significant anxiety in people with multiple sclerosis: A one-year follow-up study.Mult. Scler. Relat. Disord. 2020; 45https://doi.org/10.1016/j.msard.2020.102417
- The first year after diagnosis: psychological impact on people with multiple sclerosis.Psychol. Heal. Med. 2017; 22: 1063-1071https://doi.org/10.1080/13548506.2016.1274043
- Fatigue in Multiple Sclerosis Is Associated With Childhood Adversities.Front. psychiatry. 2020; 11https://doi.org/10.3389/FPSYT.2020.00811
- Distinguishing Cognitive and Somatic Dimensions of State and Trait Anxiety: Development and Validation of the State-Trait Inventory for Cognitive and Somatic Anxiety (STICSA).Behav. Cogn. Psychother. 2008; 36: 312-332
- Neuroinflammation drives anxiety and depression in relapsing-remitting multiple sclerosis.Neurology. 2017; 89: 1338-1347https://doi.org/10.1212/WNL.0000000000004411
- Anxiety in Multiple Sclerosis: psychometric properties of the State-Trait Anxiety Inventory.Acta Neurol. Scand. 2016; 134: 458-466https://doi.org/10.1111/ane.12564
- Trait and state anxiety are mapped differently in the human brain.Sci. Rep. 2020; 10https://doi.org/10.1038/S41598-020-68008-Z
- Is personality profile a relevant determinant of fatigue in multiple sclerosis?.Front. Neurol. 2015; 6: 2https://doi.org/10.3389/FNEUR.2015.00002/BIBTEX
- Neuropsychiatric symptoms of multiple sclerosis: State of the art.Psychiatry Investig. 2019; 16: 877-888https://doi.org/10.30773/pi.2019.0106
- Psychiatric disorders in multiple sclerosis.J. Neurol. 2021; https://doi.org/10.1007/s00415-019-09426-6
Spielberger, C., 2010. State-Trait Anxiety Inventory, in: The Corsini Encyclopedia of Psychology. https://doi.org/10.1002/9780470479216.corpsy0943.
Spielberger, C., Gorsuch, R., Lushene, R., 1970. STAI Manual for the State-Trait Anxiety Inventory. Palo Alto, California.
Spielberger, C., Gorsuch, R., Lushene, R., Vagg, P., Jacobs, G., 1983. Manual for the State-Trait Anxiety Inventory STAI (form Y) (‘self-evaluation questionnaire’), Consulting. ed. Palo Alto, CA.
- Resilience, self-efficacy, coping styles and depressive and anxiety symptoms in those newly diagnosed with multiple sclerosis.Psychol. Health Med. 2015; 20: 635-645https://doi.org/10.1080/13548506.2014.999810
- Suicidal ideation, anxiety, and depression in patients with multiple sclerosis.Arq. Neuropsiquiatr. 2018; 76: 296-301https://doi.org/10.1590/0004-282x20180036
- In multiple sclerosis anxiety, not depression, is related to gender.Mult. Scler. 2016; 22: 239-244https://doi.org/10.1177/1352458515588582
- Diagnosis of multiple sclerosis: 2017 revisions of the McDonald criteria.Lancet Neurol. 2018; 17: 162-173https://doi.org/10.1016/S1474-4422(17)30470-2
- Mental Health Comorbidity in MS: Depression, Anxiety, and Bipolar Disorder.Curr. Neurol. Neurosci. Rep. 2016; https://doi.org/10.1007/s11910-016-0706-x
- CRP, IL-6 and depression: a systematic review and meta-analysis of longitudinal studies.J. Affect. Disord. 2013; 150: 736-744https://doi.org/10.1016/J.JAD.2013.06.004
- Depression and anxiety in multiple sclerosis. A clinical and MRI study in 95 subjects.J. Neurol. 2001; 248: 416-421https://doi.org/10.1007/S004150170184