- •Quantitative analysis which showed increased NfL was related to significant increase in cognitive disability worsening (HR= 1.40 [1.25, 1.58]; p< 0.00001; I2= 17%).
- •There was significant decrease in NfL levels when Fingolimod was used as compared to placebo.
- •Increasing NfL levels are associated with increased incidence of relapses, active/new T2 lesions and increased percentage of brain volume change.
- •NfL is considered as a potential biomarker for MS prognosis and disease progression monitoring.
Materials and Methods
Purchase one-time access:Academic & Personal: 24 hour online accessCorporate R&D Professionals: 24 hour online access
One-time access price info
- For academic or personal research use, select 'Academic and Personal'
- For corporate R&D use, select 'Corporate R&D Professionals'
Subscribe:Subscribe to Multiple Sclerosis and Related Disorders
- Multiple sclerosis: clinical aspects.Curr Opin Neurol. 2018; 31: 752-759https://doi.org/10.1097/WCO.0000000000000622
- Multiple sclerosis.Lancet. 2008; 372: 1502-1517https://doi.org/10.1016/S0140-6736(08)61620-7
- Epidemiology of multiple sclerosis.Rev Neurol (Paris). 2016; 172: 3-13https://doi.org/10.1016/j.neurol.2015.10.006
- Classification, diagnosis, and differential diagnosis of multiple sclerosis.Curr Opin Neurol. 2015; 28: 193-205https://doi.org/10.1097/WCO.0000000000000206
- Diagnosis of multiple sclerosis: 2017 revisions of the McDonald criteria.The Lancet. Neurology. 2018; 17: 162-173https://doi.org/10.1016/S1474-4422(17)30470-2
- Neurofilament light chain in cerebrospinal fluid and prediction of disease activity in clinically isolated syndrome and relapsing-remitting multiple sclerosis.Eur J Neurol. 2017; 24: 703-712https://doi.org/10.1111/ene.13274
- Cerebrospinal fluid neurofilament light chain in multiple sclerosis and its subtypes: a meta-analysis of case-control studies.J Neurol Neurosurg Psychiatry. 2019; 90: 1059-1067https://doi.org/10.1136/jnnp-2018-319190
- Fingolimod: Lessons Learned and New Opportunities for Treating Multiple Sclerosis and Other Disorders.Annu Rev Pharmacol Toxicol. 2019; 59: 149-170https://doi.org/10.1146/annurev-pharmtox-010818-021358
- Prognostic value of neurofilament light chain in natalizumab therapy for different phases of multiple sclerosis: A systematic review and meta-analysis.J Clin Neurosci. 2022; 101: 198-203https://doi.org/10.1016/j.jocn.2022.04.041
- Mortality in multiple sclerosis: a review.Eur J Neurol. 2008; 15: 123-127https://doi.org/10.1111/j.1468-1331.2007.02019.x
- The PRISMA extension statement for reporting of systematic reviews incorporating network meta-analyses of health care interventions: checklist and explanations.Ann Intern Med. 2015; 162: 777-784https://doi.org/10.7326/M14-2385
- Primary Care Management of Abnormal Uterine Bleeding.Rockville (MD): Agency for Healthcare Research and Quality, US2013 Mar ([Internet](Comparative Effectiveness Reviews, No. 96.) Appendix F, Cochrane Risk of Bias Tool. Available from)
- Updated guidance for trusted systematic reviews: a new edition of the Cochrane Handbook for Systematic Reviews of Interventions.Cochrane Database Syst Rev. 2019; 10ED000142https://doi.org/10.1002/14651858.ED000142
- Fingolimod and CSF neurofilament light chain levels in relapsing-remitting multiple sclerosis.Neurology. 2015; 84: 1639-1643https://doi.org/10.1212/WNL.0000000000001491
- Blood neurofilament light as a potential endpoint in Phase 2 studies in MS.Ann Clin Transl Neurol. 2019; 6 (Published 2019 May 28): 1081-1089https://doi.org/10.1002/acn3.795
- Blood neurofilament light chain as a biomarker of MS disease activity and treatment response.Neurology. 2019; 92: e1007-e1015https://doi.org/10.1212/WNL.0000000000007032
- Long-term prognostic value of longitudinal measurements of blood neurofilament levels.Neurol Neuroimmunol Neuroinflamm. 2020; 7 (Published 2020 Aug 12): e856https://doi.org/10.1212/NXI.0000000000000856
- Blood Neurofilament Light in Progressive Multiple Sclerosis: Post Hoc Analysis of 2 Randomized Controlled Trials.Neurology. 2022; 98: e2120-e2131https://doi.org/10.1212/WNL.0000000000200258
- The potential of serum neurofilament as biomarker for multiple sclerosis.Brain. 2021; 144: 2954-2963https://doi.org/10.1093/brain/awab241
- Implementing the 2017 McDonald criteria for the diagnosis of multiple sclerosis.Nat Rev Neurol. 2019; 15: 441-445https://doi.org/10.1038/s41582-019-0194-0
- Promising role of temelimab in multiple sclerosis treatment.Mult Scler Relat Disord. 2022; 61103743https://doi.org/10.1016/j.msard.2022.103743