- •Depression is around 25 – 50% in people with MS.
- •Therapeutic exercise reduces depressive symptoms.
- •Robotic gait training and aerobic exercise are highly recommend.
Purchase one-time access:Academic & Personal: 24 hour online accessCorporate R&D Professionals: 24 hour online access
One-time access price info
- For academic or personal research use, select 'Academic and Personal'
- For corporate R&D use, select 'Corporate R&D Professionals'
Subscribe:Subscribe to Multiple Sclerosis and Related Disorders
- Comparison of the effect of 8 weeks aerobic and yoga training on ambulatory function, fatigue and mood status in MS patients.Iran Red Crescent. Med. J. 2013; 15: 449-454
- Aerobic exercise increases irisin serum levels and improves depression and fatigue in patients with relapsing remitting multiple sclerosis: a randomized controlled trial.Mult. Scler. Relat. Disord. 2022; 61103742
- Telephone-based physical activity counseling for major depression in people with multiple sclerosis.J. Consult. Clin. Psychol. 2013; 81: 89-99
- Cycling progressive resistance training for people with multiple sclerosis: a randomized controlled study.Am. J. Phys. Med. Rehabil. 2010; 89: 446-457
- Robotic gait training in multiple sclerosis rehabilitation: can virtual reality make the difference? Findings from a randomized controlled trial.J. Neurol. Sci. 2017; 15: 25-30
- Defective cholesterol clearance limits remyelination in the aged central nervous system.Science. 2018; 359: 684-688
- Multiple sclerosis.Lancet. 2008; 372: 1502-1517
- Multiple sclerosis.Handb. Clin. Neurol. 2018; 148: 723-730
- Fatigue, mood and quality of life improve in MS patients after progressive resistance training.Mult. Scler. 2010; 16: 480-490
- The link between multiple sclerosis and depression.Nat. Rev. Neurol. 2014; 10: 507-517
- Exercising away the blues: can it help multiple sclerosis-related depression?.Mult. Scler. 2013; 19: 1815-1819
- The Effects of Concurrent Resistance and Aerobic Exercise Training on Functional Status in Patients with Multiple Sclerosis.Curr. Sports Med. Rep. 2019; 18: 452-457
- Persistent pain and uncomfortable sensations in persons with multiple sclerosis.Pain. 2007; 127: 35-41
- Depression in multiple sclerosis: is one approach for its management enough?.Mult. Scler. Relat. Disord. 2021; 51102904
- Different types of exercise in Multiple Sclerosis: aerobic exercise or Pilates, a single-blind clinical study.J. Back Musculoskelet Rehabil. 2017; 30: 565-573
- Fatigue in multiple sclerosis: definition, pathophysiology and treatment.CNS Drugs. 2003; 17: 225-234
- Improvements in cognition, quality of life, and physical performance with clinical pilates in multiple sclerosis: a randomized controlled trial.J. Phys. Ther. Sci. 2016; : 761-768
- Reliability of the PEDro scale for rating quality of randomized controlled trials.Phys. Ther. 2003; 83: 713-721
- Multiple sclerosis relapses and depression.J. Psychosom. Res. 2012; 73: 272-276
- The benefits of exercise training in multiple sclerosis.Nat. Rev. Neurol. 2012; 8: 487-497
- Effect of Short-Term Interval Exercise Training on Fatigue, Depression, and Fitness in Normal Weight vs. Overweight Person With Multiple Sclerosis.End-to-end J. 2019; 15: 134-141
- Effect of video-based exergaming on arm and cognitive function in persons with multiple sclerosis: a randomized controlled trial.Mult. Scler. Relat. Disord. 2020; 40101966
- Combined exercise training improves cognitive functions in multiple sclerosis patients with cognitive impairment: a single-blinded randomized controlled trial.Mult. Scler. Relat. Disord. 2020; 45102419
- Effects of Robot-Assisted Gait Training in Patients With Multiple Sclerosis: a Single-Blinded Randomized Controlled Study.Am. J. Phys. Med. Rehabil. 2022; 101: 768-774
- The PRISMA 2020 statement: an updated guideline for reporting systematic reviews.BMJ. 2021; 372: 71
- Depression in multiple sclerosis.International Rev. Psychiatry. 2017; 29: 463-472
- Prevalence and treatment of spasticity reported by multiple sclerosis patients.Mult. Scler. 2004; 10: 589-595
- The role of robotic gait training coupled with virtual reality in boosting the rehabilitative outcomes in patients with multiple sclerosis.Int. J. Rehabil. Res. 2018; 41: 166-172
- Depression in Multiple Sclerosis: epidemiology, Aetiology, Diagnosis and Treatment.CNS Drugs. 2018; 32: 117-133
- The effects of robot-assisted gait training in progressive multiple sclerosis: a randomized controlled trial.Mult. Scler. 2015; 22: 373-384
- Robot-assisted gait training is not superior to intensive overground walking in multiple sclerosis with severe disability (the RAGTIME study): a randomized controlled trial.Multiple Sclerosis J. 2019; 26: 716-724
- Cognitive impairment in multiple sclerosis.J. Neurol. 2007; 254: II35-II42
World Health Organization. Depression. [Online]. Available at the following address: https://www.who.int/health-topics/depression#tab=tab_1 [accessed 10 May 2022].
- Multiple Sclerosis.Semin. Neurol. 2018; 38: 212-225