- •Adhesion molecules such as Intercellular adhesion molecule-1 (ICAM-1) and surtins such as SIRT1 are gaining attention as important players in multiple sclerosis.
- •We studied, for the first time, the salivary expression of ICAM-1 and SIRT1 in MS patients receiving either interferon-β or fingolimod compared to controls.
- •The interferon-β treated patients showed about 10- fold higher ICAM expression compared to the control, while the fingolimod treated group showed a non -significant increase of ICAM levels compared to the control.
- •ICAM-1 and SIRT1 salivary expression might be affected with fingolimod or INF- β treatment which should be investigated more in the future.
Purchase one-time access:Academic & Personal: 24 hour online accessCorporate R&D Professionals: 24 hour online access
One-time access price info
- For academic or personal research use, select 'Academic and Personal'
- For corporate R&D use, select 'Corporate R&D Professionals'
Subscribe:Subscribe to Multiple Sclerosis and Related Disorders
- Interferon beta: from molecular level to therapeutic effects.Int. Rev. Cell Mol. Biol. 2016; 326: 343-372
- Translation and validation of the Arabic version of the patient determined disease steps in people with multiple sclerosis.Physiother. Theory Pract. 2022; 38: 1281-1288https://doi.org/10.1080/09593985.2020.1839988
Aljishi, R.H., Almatrafi, R.J., Alzayer, Z.A., Alkhamis, B.A., Yaseen, E.E., Alkhotani, A.M. Prevalence of Anxiety and Depression in Patients With Multiple Sclerosis in Saudi Arabia: A Cross-Sectional Study. Cureus. 2021 29;13(12).
- Sirtuins and FoxOs in osteoporosis and osteoarthritis.Bone. 2019; 121: 284-292https://doi.org/10.1016/J.BONE.2019.01.018
- Neuroprotective effect of liraglutide in an experimental mouse model of multiple sclerosis: role of AMPK/SIRT1 signaling and NLRP3 inflammasome.Inflammopharmacology. 2022; 30: 919-934https://doi.org/10.1007/S10787-022-00956-6
- Effect of fingolimod on MRI outcomes in patients with paediatric-onset multiple sclerosis: results from the phase 3 PARADIG MS study.J. Neurol. Neurosurg. Psychiatry. 2020; 91: 483-492https://doi.org/10.1136/JNNP-2019-322138
- Oral fingolimod or intramuscular interferon for relapsing multiple sclerosis.N. Engl. J. Med. 2010; 362: 402-415https://doi.org/10.1056/NEJMOA0907839
- Long-term (up to 4.5 years) treatment with fingolimod in multiple sclerosis: results from the extension of the randomised TRANSFORMS study.J. Neurol. Neurosurg. Psychiatry. 2016; 87: 468-475https://doi.org/10.1136/JNNP-2015-310597
- Perceived stress scale.Measuring Stress: a Guide for Health and Social Scientists. 10. Sheldon Cohen, 1994: 1-2
- Efficacy of fingolimod and interferon beta-1b on cognitive, MRI, and clinical outcomes in relapsing-remitting multiple sclerosis: an 18-month, open-label, rater-blinded, randomised, multicentre study (the GOLDEN study).J. Neurol. 2017; 264: 2436-2449https://doi.org/10.1007/S00415-017-8642-5
- Intercellular adhesion molecule-1: a protective haplotype against multiple sclerosis.Genes Immun. 2003; 4: 518-523https://doi.org/10.1038/SJ.GENE.6364009
- Vascular aspects of multiple sclerosis.Lancet Neurol. 2011; 10: 657-666
- Edaravone ameliorates depressive and anxiety-like behaviors via Sirt1/Nrf2/HO-1/Gpx4 pathway.J. Neuroinflamm. 2022; 19: 1-29
- Biomarkers of endothelial dysfunction, cardiovascular risk factors and atherosclerosis in rheumatoid arthritis.Arthritis Res. Ther. 2005; 7: 1
- Serum and cerebrospinal fluid levels of soluble adhesion molecules in multiple sclerosis: predominant intrathecal release of vascular cell adhesion molecule-1.J. Neuroimmunol. 1996; 64: 185-191https://doi.org/10.1016/0165-5728(95)00174-3
- Adhesion molecules in multiple sclerosis.Arch. Neurol. 2000; 57: 546https://doi.org/10.1001/archneur.57.4.546
- Molecular cloning of ICAM-3, a third ligand for LFA-1, constitutively expressed on resting leukocytes.Nature. 1992; 360: 481-484https://doi.org/10.1038/360481a0
- The relation between inflammation and neurodegeneration in multiple sclerosis brains.Brain. 2009; 132: 1175-1189
- Increased salivary nitric oxide and G6PD activity in refugees with anxiety and stress.Stress Heal. 2016; 32: 435-440https://doi.org/10.1002/smi.2666
- Intercellular adhesion molecule-1 (ICAM-1) and ICAM-2 differentially contribute to peripheral activation and CNS entry of autoaggressive Th1 and Th17 Cells in experimental autoimmune encephalomyelitis.Front. Immunol. 2020; 10: 3056https://doi.org/10.3389/FIMMU.2019.03056/BIBTEX
- Impact of a switch to fingolimod on depressive symptoms in patients with relapsing multiple sclerosis: an analysis from the EPOC (Evaluate Patient OutComes) trial.J. Neurol. Sci. 2016; 365: 190-198https://doi.org/10.1016/j.jns.2016.03.024
- SIRT1 suppresses PMA and ionomycin-induced ICAM-1 expression in endothelial cells.Sci. China Life Sci. 2013; https://doi.org/10.1007/s11427-012-4407-7
Karimi, S., Andayeshgar, B., Khatony, A., 2020. Prevalence of anxiety, depression, and stress in patients with multiple sclerosis in Kermanshah-Iran: a cross-sectional study. BMC psychiatry. 2020;20(1): 1–8.
- Prevalence of anxiety, depression, and stress in patients with multiple sclerosis in Kermanshah-Iran: a cross-sectional study.BMC Psychiatry. 2020; 20: 1-8
Karlík, M., Valkovič P., Hančinová V., Krížová, L., Tóthová, Ľ., Celec, P. Markers of oxidative stress in plasma and saliva in patients with multiple sclerosis. Clinical biochemistry. 2015 1;48(1-2):24–8.
- Comparison of fingolimod with interferon beta-1a in relapsing-remitting multiple sclerosis: a randomised extension of the TRANSFORMS study.Lancet Neurol. 2011; 10: 520-529https://doi.org/10.1016/S1474-4422(11)70099-0
- The PHQ-9: validity of a brief depression severity measure.J. Gen. Intern. Med. 2001; 16: 606-613
- Expression of adhesion molecules and histocompatibility antigens at the blood-brain barrier.Brain Pathol. 1991; 1: 115-123https://doi.org/10.1111/J.1750-3639.1991.TB00648.X
- Serum soluble intercellular adhesion molecule-I in MS: relation to clinical and Gd-MRI activity and to rIFN beta-Ib treatment.Mult. Scler. 1998; 4: 183-187https://doi.org/10.1177/135245859800400318
- Top-down proteomic profiling of human saliva in multiple sclerosis patients.J. Proteomics. 2018; 187: 212-222
- Role of SIRT1 in autoimmune demyelination and neurodegeneration.Immunol. Res. 2015; 61: 187-197https://doi.org/10.1007/S12026-014-8557-5
- Serum and saliva total tau protein as a marker for relapsing-remitting multiple sclerosis.Med. Hypotheses. 2020; 135109476
- Calorie restriction promotes remyelination in a cuprizone-induced demyelination mouse model of multiple sclerosis.Metab. Brain Dis. 2020; 35: 1211-1224https://doi.org/10.1007/S11011-020-00597-0
- Oral fingolimod (FTY720) in relapsing multiple sclerosis: impact on health-related quality of life in a phase II study.Mult. Scler. J. 2011; 17: 1341-1350
- SIRT1 and NAD+ precursors: therapeutic targets in multiple sclerosis a review.J. Neuroimmunol. 2017; 304: 29-34https://doi.org/10.1016/J.JNEUROIM.2016.07.007
- SIRT1 protects cochlear hair cell and delays age-related hearing loss via autophagy.Neurobiol. Aging. 2019; 80: 127-137https://doi.org/10.1016/J.NEUROBIOLAGING.2019.04.003
- Inflammation and oxidative stress in multiple sclerosis: consequences for therapy development.Oxidative Med. Cell. Longev. 2020; 2020https://doi.org/10.1155/2020/7191080
- Association of miRNA and mRNA levels of the clinical onset of multiple sclerosis patients.Biology. 2021; 10 (Basel)https://doi.org/10.3390/BIOLOGY10060554
Prasad, S., Tyagi, A.K., Aggarwal, B.B. Detection of inflammatory biomarkers in saliva and urine: potential in diagnosis, prevention, and treatment for chronic diseases. Experimental Biology and Medicine. 2016;241(8):783–99.
- Regulation of sirtuin expression in autoimmune neuroinflammation: induction of SIRT1 in oligodendrocyte progenitor cells.Neurosci. Lett. 2019; 704: 116-125https://doi.org/10.1016/J.NEULET.2019.04.007
- Serial analysis of circulating adhesion molecules and TNF receptor in serum from patients with multiple sclerosis: cICAM-1 is an indicator for relapse.Neurology. 1994; 44: 2367-2372https://doi.org/10.1212/WNL.44.12.2367
- Increased levels of circulating ICAM-1 in serum and cerebrospinal fluid of patients with active multiple sclerosis. Correlation with TNF-alpha and blood-brain barrier damage.J. Neuroimmunol. 1993; 43: 15-21https://doi.org/10.1016/0165-5728(93)90070-F
- Analysis of ICAM1 gene polymorphism in Slovak multiple sclerosis patients.Folia Microbiol. 2017; 62 (Praha).: 287-293https://doi.org/10.1007/S12223-017-0499-6
- Vascular pathology in multiple sclerosis: reframing pathogenesis around the blood-brain barrier.J. Neurol. Neurosurg. Psychiatry. 2018; 89: 42-52
Spitzer, R.L., Kroenke, K., Williams, J.B., Löwe B. A brief measure for assessing generalized anxiety disorder: the GAD-7. Archives of internal medicine. 2006 22;166(10):1092–7.
- Protective roles of SIRT1 in atherosclerosis.Cell Cycle. 2011; 10: 640-647https://doi.org/10.4161/cc.10.4.14863
- SIRT1 reduces endothelial activation without affecting vascular function in ApoE-/- mice.Aging. 2010; 2 (Albany NY): 353https://doi.org/10.18632/AGING.100162
- The combined treatment of NAD + and atorvastatin ameliorates the development of experimental autoimmune encephalomyelitis in C57BL/6 mice.J. Neuroimmunol. 2020; 350https://doi.org/10.1016/J.JNEUROIM.2020.577429
- Circulating cytokines, chemokines and adhesion molecules in normal pregnancy and preeclampsia determined by multiplex suspension array.BMC Immunol. 2010; 11: 59https://doi.org/10.1186/1471-2172-11-59
- Depression and anxiety in patients with multiple sclerosis treated with interferon-beta or fingolimod: role of indoleamine 2, 3-dioxygenase and pro-inflammatory cytokines.Brain Behav. Immu. Health. 2020; 9100162
- SIRT1 is decreased during relapses in patients with multiple sclerosis.Exp. Mol. Pathol. 2014; 96: 139-148https://doi.org/10.1016/J.YEXMP.2013.12.010
- Diagnosis of multiple sclerosis: 2017 revisions of the McDonald criteria.Lancet Neurol. 2018; 17: 162-173
- Expression of immunologically relevant endothelial cell activation antigens on isolated central nervous system microvessels from patients with multiple sclerosis.Ann. Neurol. 1994; 35: 89-97https://doi.org/10.1002/ANA.410350114
- Sirtuins promote brain homeostasis, preventing Alzheimer's disease through targeting neuroinflammation.Front. Physiol. 2022; 13https://doi.org/10.3389/FPHYS.2022.962769
- A positive feedback loop of SIRT1 and miR17HG promotes the repair of DNA double-stranded breaks.Cell Cycle. 2019; 18: 2110-2123https://doi.org/10.1080/15384101.2019.1641388/SUPPL_FILE/KCCY_A_1641388_SM3221.DOC
- Cuprizone-induced demyelination in mouse hippocampus is alleviated by ketogenic diet.J. Agric. Food Chem. 2020; 68: 11215-11228https://doi.org/10.1021/ACS.JAFC.0C04604
- Inhibitors targeting the LFA-1/ICAM-1 cell-adhesion interaction: design and mechanism of action.Curr. Pharm. Des. 2008; 14: 2128-2139https://doi.org/10.2174/138161208785740225
- Depression and perceived stress, but not anxiety, are associated with elevated inflammation in an obese adult population.Risk Manag. Healthc. Policy. 2020; 13: 1489