- •Traditionally, MS has been thought of as a T-cell mediated disease, but research over the past decade has demonstrated the importance of B cells in both acute demyelination and disease progression.
- •The highly selective irreversible Bruton Tyrosine Kinase (BTK) inhibitors evobrutinib, tolebrutinib, and orelabrutinib, and the reversible BTK inhibitor fenebrutinib, all target B-cell activation and aspects of innate immunity, including macrophage and microglia biology.
- •The c-KIT inhibitor masitinib mitigates neuroinflammation by controlling the survival, migration, and degranulation of mast cells, leading to the inhibition of proinflammatory and vasoactive molecular cascades that result from mast cell activation.
- •BTKi's are exciting and present novel therapies with a proven mechanism of action against the pathophysiological processes involved in RRMS, relapse-free SPMS, NRSPMS and PPMS.
Purchase one-time access:Academic & Personal: 24 hour online accessCorporate R&D Professionals: 24 hour online access
One-time access price info
- For academic or personal research use, select 'Academic and Personal'
- For corporate R&D use, select 'Corporate R&D Professionals'
Subscribe:Subscribe to Multiple Sclerosis and Related Disorders
- Multiple sclerosis in Canada 2011 to 2031: results of a microsimulation modelling study of epidemiological and economic impacts.Health Promot. Chronic Dis. Prev. Can. 2017; 37 (La sclerose en plaques au Canada, 2011-2031 : resultats d'une etude de modelisation par microsimulation des repercussions epidemiologiques et economiques.): 37-48https://doi.org/10.24095/hpcdp.37.2.02
- Next-generation Bruton's tyrosine kinase inhibitor BIIB091 selectively and potently inhibits B cell and Fc receptor signaling and downstream functions in B cells and myeloid cells.Clin. Transl. Immunol. 2021; 10: e1295https://doi.org/10.1002/cti2.1295
- Abnormal B-cell cytokine responses a trigger of T-cell-mediated disease in MS?.Ann. Neurol. 2010; 67: 452-461https://doi.org/10.1002/ana.21939
- Imaging meningeal inflammation in CNS autoimmunity identifies a therapeutic role for BTK inhibition.Brain. 2021; 144: 1396-1408https://doi.org/10.1093/brain/awab045
- Long-term effect of natalizumab in patients with RRMS: TYSTEN cohort.Mult. Scler. 2021; 27: 729-741https://doi.org/10.1177/1352458520936239
- Stem cell factor and hematopoiesis.Blood. 1997; 90: 1345-1364
- Mechanisms underlying mast cell influence on EAE disease course.Mol. Immunol. 2002; 38: 1373-1378https://doi.org/10.1016/s0161-5890 (02)00091-3
- Ibrutinib as initial therapy for patients with chronic lymphocytic leukemia.N. Engl. J. Med. 2015; 373: 2425-2437https://doi.org/10.1056/NEJMoa1509388
- Targeting BTK with ibrutinib in relapsed chronic lymphocytic leukemia.N. Engl. J. Med. 2013; 369: 32-42https://doi.org/10.1056/NEJMoa1215637
- Bruton's tyrosine kinase inhibitors: a promising emerging treatment option for multiple sclerosis.Expert Opin. Emerg. Drugs. 2020; 25: 377-381https://doi.org/10.1080/14728214.2020.1822817
- BTK inhibition results in impaired CXCR4 chemokine receptor surface expression, signaling and function in chronic lymphocytic leukemia.Leukemia. 2016; 30: 833-843https://doi.org/10.1038/leu.2015.316
- Multiple sclerosis.Lancet. 2008; 372: 1502-1517https://doi.org/10.1016/S0140-6736 (08)61620-7
- A tyrosine kinase created by fusion of the PDGFRA and FIP1L1 genes as a therapeutic target of imatinib in idiopathic hypereosinophilic syndrome.N. Engl. J. Med. 2003; 348: 1201-1214https://doi.org/10.1056/NEJMoa025217
- Tyrosine kinase inhibitors ameliorate autoimmune encephalomyelitis in a mouse model of multiple sclerosis.J. Clin. Immunol. 2011; 31: 1010-1020https://doi.org/10.1007/s10875-011-9579-6
- Multiple sclerosis and Alzheimer's disease.Ann. Neurol. 2008; 63: 174-183https://doi.org/10.1002/ana.21240
- Translational mini-review series on Th17 cells: development of mouse and human T helper 17 cells.Clin. Exp. Immunol. 2010; 159: 148-158https://doi.org/10.1111/j.1365-2249.2009.04041.x
- Bruton's tyrosine kinase-mediated signaling in myeloid cells is required for protective innate immunity during pneumococcal pneumonia.Front. Immunol. 2021; 12723967https://doi.org/10.3389/fimmu.2021.723967
- Signaling by toll-like receptors 8 and 9 requires Bruton's tyrosine kinase.J. Biol. Chem. 2007; 282: 36953-36960https://doi.org/10.1074/jbc.M707682200
- Masitinib (AB1010), a potent and selective tyrosine kinase inhibitor targeting KIT.PLoS One. 2009; 4: e7258https://doi.org/10.1371/journal.pone.0007258
- Distinct effector cytokine profiles of memory and naive human B cell subsets and implication in multiple sclerosis.J. Immunol. 2007; 178: 6092-6099https://doi.org/10.4049/jimmunol.178.10.6092
Taylor, N.P. Fierce Biotech (2021, June 2). AB halts masitinib trials after discovering heart disease worry. Retrieved September 24, 2021 from https://www.fiercebiotech.com/biotech/ab-halts-masitinib-trials-after-discovering-heart-disease-worry.
- B cells regulate autoimmunity by provision of IL-10.Nat. Immunol. 2002; 3: 944-950https://doi.org/10.1038/ni833
- A Potent and Selective Blood Brain Barrier Penetrating BTK Inhibitor, Exhibits Efficacy in Central Nervous System Immunity.(PRN2246) ACTRIMS, Dallas2017
- Microglia in multiple sclerosis: friend or foe?.Front. Immunol. 2020; 11: 374https://doi.org/10.3389/fimmu.2020.00374
- Five years of ocrelizumab in relapsing multiple sclerosis: OPERA studies open-label extension.Neurology. 2020; 95: e1854-e1867https://doi.org/10.1212/WNL.0000000000010376
- B-cell depletion with rituximab in relapsing-remitting multiple sclerosis.N. Engl. J. Med. 2008; 358: 676-688https://doi.org/10.1056/NEJMoa0706383
- Targeting Bruton's tyrosine kinase in B cell malignancies.Nat. Rev. Cancer. 2014; 14: 219-232https://doi.org/10.1038/nrc3702
- Bruton's tyrosine kinase is required for TLR2 and TLR4-induced TNF, but not IL-6, production.J. Immunol. 2006; 176: 3635-3641https://doi.org/10.4049/jimmunol.176.6.3635
- Structure of the PH domain and Btk motif from Bruton's tyrosine kinase: molecular explanations for X-linked agammaglobulinaemia.EMBO J. 1997; 16: 3396-3404https://doi.org/10.1093/emboj/16.12.3396
- Ocrelizumab in relapsing-remitting multiple sclerosis: a phase 2, randomised, placebo-controlled, multicentre trial.Lancet. 2011; 378: 1779-1787https://doi.org/10.1016/S0140-6736 (11)61649-8
- Effector T cells in multiple sclerosis.Cold Spring Harb. Perspect. Med. 2018; 8https://doi.org/10.1101/cshperspect.a029025
- Inhibition of Bruton's tyrosine kinase modulates microglial phagocytosis: therapeutic implications for Alzheimer's disease.J. Neuroimmune Pharmacol. 2019; 14: 448-461https://doi.org/10.1007/s11481-019-09839-0
- BTK inhibition limits B-cell-T-cell interaction through modulation of B-cell metabolism: implications for multiple sclerosis therapy.Acta Neuropathol. 2022; 143: 505-521https://doi.org/10.1007/s00401-022-02411-w
- Bruton's tyrosine kinase inhibition promotes myelin repair.Brain Plast. 2020; 5: 123-133https://doi.org/10.3233/BPL-200100
- Tyrphostin AG126 exerts neuroprotection in CNS inflammation by a dual mechanism.Glia. 2015; 63: 1083-1099https://doi.org/10.1002/glia.22803
Montalban X., A. D., Bar-Or A., Cross A.H., Havrdova E.K., Stuve O., Weber M.S., Wiendl H., Wolinsky J.S., Syed S., Mandel M., Martin E.C., Vermersch P. (2019, August 26, 2019 - April 16, 2020)). Rationale and design of two phase 3 randomized controlled trials (evolution RMS 1&2) evaluating the Bruton's tyrosine kinase inhibitor evobrutinib in patients with relapsing multiple sclerosis. Retrieved November 11, 2020 from https://clinicaltrials.gov/ct2/show/NCT04032158.
Montalban X., Arnold D.L., Bar-Or A., et al. (2019, September 10, 2019 - May 20, 2020). Rationale and design of two phase 3 randomized controlled trials (evolution RMS 1&2) evaluating the Bruton's tyrosine kinase inhibitor evobrutinib in patients with relapsing multiple sclerosis. https://clinicaltrials.gov/ct2/show/NCT04032171.
- Placebo-controlled trial of an oral BTK inhibitor in multiple sclerosis.N. Engl. J. Med. 2019; 380: 2406-2417https://doi.org/10.1056/NEJMoa1901981
Multiple Sclerosis International Federation, Number of people with MS: atlas of MS. (2020). Retrieved November 11, 2020 from.
Figueiredo, M. Multiple Sclerosis News Today (2020, September 17). MSVirtual2020 – masitinib delays disability progression in PPMS, non-active SPMS. Retrieved November 12, 2020 from https://multiplesclerosisnewstoday.com/news-posts/2020/09/17/msvirtual2020-masitinib-delays-disability-progression-ppms-non-active-spms-top-line-data-ab07002-study-show/.
- Activation of the MAPK pathway mediates resistance to PI3K inhibitors in chronic lymphocytic leukemia.Blood. 2021; 138: 44-56https://doi.org/10.1182/blood.2020006765
- Ibrutinib suppresses LPS-induced neuroinflammatory responses in BV2 microglial cells and wild-type mice.J. Neuroinflamm. 2018; 15: 271https://doi.org/10.1186/s12974-018-1308-0
NINDS. (April 15, 2021 December 31, 2022). Tolebrutinib, a brain-penetrant Bruton s tyrosine kinase inhibitor, for the modulation of chronically inflamed white matter lesions in multiple sclerosis. Retrieved July 18, 2022 from https://clinicaltrials.gov/ct2/show/NCT04742400?id=NCT01433497+OR+NCT03889639+OR+NCT04410991+OR+NCT04410978+OR+NCT04458051+OR+NCT04411641+OR+NCT04586010+OR+NCT04586023+OR+NCT04544449+OR+NCT04742400+OR+NCT03996291+OR+NCT02484547+OR+NCT04711148&draw=2&rank=1&load=cart.
Novartis. (December 16, 2021 October 31, 2025). Efficacy and safety of remibrutinib compared to teriflunomide in participants with relapsing multiple sclerosis.Retrieved August 15, 2022 from https://clinicaltrials.gov/ct2/show/NCT05147220?cond=remibrutinib&draw=2&rank=3.
Novartis. (December 13, 2021 - October 31, 2025). Efficacy and safety of remibrutinib compared to teriflunomide in participants with relapsing multiple sclerosis.Retrieved August 15, 2022 from https://clinicaltrials.gov/ct2/show/NCT05156281?cond=remibrutinib&draw=2&rank=4.
- Regulation of Btk function by a major autophosphorylation site within the SH3 domain.Immunity. 1996; 4: 515-525https://doi.org/10.1016/s1074-7613 (00)80417-3
- MOG autoantibodies trigger a tightly-controlled FcR and BTK-driven microglia proliferative response.Brain. 2021; 144: 2361-2374https://doi.org/10.1093/brain/awab231
- Stem cell factor and its receptor c-KIT as targets for inflammatory diseases.Eur. J. Pharmacol. 2006; 533: 327-340https://doi.org/10.1016/j.ejphar.2005.12.067
- Multiple sclerosis and allied demyelinating diseases.Merritt's Neurology. 13th ed. Lippincott Williams & Wilkins, 2016: 593-630
Roche, H.L. (March 17, 2021 - November 10, 2024). A study to evaluate the efficacy and safety of fenebrutinib compared with teriflunomide in relapsing multiple sclerosis (RMS) (FENhance). Retrieved May 14, 2021 from https://clinicaltrials.gov/ct2/show/NCT04586010?id=NCT01433497+OR+NCT03889639+OR+NCT04410991+OR+NCT04410978+OR+NCT04458051+OR+NCT04411641+OR+NCT04586010+OR+NCT04586023+OR+NCT04544449+OR+NCT04742400+OR+NCT03996291&draw=2&rank=3&load=cart.
Roche, H.L. (October 26, 2020 - May 17, 2028). A study to evaluate the efficacy and safety of fenebrutinib compared with ocrelizumab in adult participants with primary progressive multiple sclerosis (FENtrepid). Retrieved May 14, 2021 from https://clinicaltrials.gov/ct2/show/NCT04544449?id=NCT01433497+OR+NCT03889639+OR+NCT04410991+OR+NCT04410978+OR+NCT04458051+OR+NCT04411641+OR+NCT04586010+OR+NCT04586023+OR+NCT04544449+OR+NCT04742400+OR+NCT03996291&draw=2&rank=4&load=cart.
- Signaling by Kit protein-tyrosine kinase–the stem cell factor receptor.Biochem. Biophys. Res. Commun. 2005; 337: 1-13https://doi.org/10.1016/j.bbrc.2005.08.055
Sanofi. (2020, Feburary 6). Sanofi brain-penetrant BTK inhibitor meets primary endpoint of Phase 2 trial in relapsing multiple sclerosis. . https://www.sanofi.com/en/media-room/press-releases/2020/2020-02-06-07-00-00.
Sanofi. (March 29, 2019 - January 2, 2020). Dose-finding study for SAR442168 in relapsing multiple sclerosis. Retrieved November 11. 2020 from https://clinicaltrials.gov/ct2/show/NCT03889639.
Sanofi. (August 13, 2020 - August 2024). Primary Progressive Multiple Sclerosis (PPMS) study of Bruton's Tyrosine Kinase (BTK) inhibitor SAR442168 (PERSEUS). Retrieved November 11. 2020 from https://clinicaltrials.gov/ct2/show/NCT04458051.
Sanofi. (June 11, 2020 - August 2023). Relapsing forms of multiple sclerosis (RMS) study of Bruton's Tyrosine Kinase (BTK) inhibitor SAR442168 (GEMINI 2). Retrieved November 11, 2020 from https://clinicaltrials.gov/ct2/show/NCT04410991.
Sanofi. (June 30, 2020 - August 2023). Relapsing forms of multiple sclerosis (RMS) study of Bruton's Tyrosine Kinase (BTK) inhibitor SAR442168 (GEMINI 1). Retrieved November 11, 2020 from https://clinicaltrials.gov/ct2/show/NCT04410978.
Sanofi. (March 1, 2021 – March 1, 2024). A randomized, double-blind, placebo-controlled phase 2 study of orelabrutinib in patients with relapsing-remitting multiple sclerosis to evaluate efficacy, safety, tolerability, pharmacokinetics, and biological activity. Retrieved April 7, 2022 from https://clinicaltrials.gov/ct2/show/NCT04711148.
Sanofi. (September 24, 2020 - August 2024). Nonrelapsing Secondary Progressive Multiple Sclerosis (NRSPMS) study of Bruton's Tyrosine Kinase (BTK) inhibitor SAR442168 (HERCULES). Retrieved November 11, 2020 from https://clinicaltrials.gov/ct2/show/NCT04411641.
AB Science (August 2011 - February 2020). Efficacy and safety of masitinib in the treatment of progressive multiple sclerosis. Retrieved November 11, 2020 from https://clinicaltrials.gov/ct2/show/NCT01433497.
- Inhibition of the BTK-IDO-mTOR axis promotes differentiation of monocyte-lineage dendritic cells and enhances anti-tumor T cell immunity.Immunity. 2021; 54 (e2358): 2354-2371https://doi.org/10.1016/j.immuni.2021.09.005
- X-linked agammaglobulinaemia: outcomes in the modern era.Clin. Immunol. 2017; 183: 54-62https://doi.org/10.1016/j.clim.2017.07.008
- Differential use of BTK and PLC in FcepsilonRI- and KIT-mediated mast cell activation: a marginal role of BTK upon KIT activation.Biochim. Biophys. Acta Mol. Cell Res. 2020; 1867118622https://doi.org/10.1016/j.bbamcr.2019.118622
- Expression of Bruton's agammaglobulinemia tyrosine kinase gene, BTK, is selectively down-regulated in T lymphocytes and plasma cells.J. Immunol. 1994; 152: 557-565
- Immunology of multiple sclerosis.Semin. Neurol. 2016; 36: 115-127https://doi.org/10.1055/s-0036-1579739
- Human mast cells stimulate activated T cells: implications for multiple sclerosis.Ann. N. Y. Acad. Sci. 2008; 1144: 74-82https://doi.org/10.1196/annals.1418.029
- Inhibition of Bruton's tyrosine kinase interferes with pathogenic B-cell development in inflammatory CNS demyelinating disease.Acta Neuropathol. 2020; 140: 535-548https://doi.org/10.1007/s00401-020-02204-z
- Masitinib treatment in patients with progressive multiple sclerosis: a randomized pilot study.BMC Neurol. 2012; 12: 36https://doi.org/10.1186/1471-2377-12-36
- Efficacy and safety of masitinib in progressive forms of multiple sclerosis: a randomized, phase 3, clinical trial.Neurol. Neuroimmunol. Neuroinflamm. 2022; 9https://doi.org/10.1212/NXI.0000000000001148
- The gene involved in X-linked agammaglobulinaemia is a member of the src family of protein-tyrosine kinases.Nature. 1993; 361: 226-233https://doi.org/10.1038/361226a0
- Evidence for the role of B cells and immunoglobulins in the pathogenesis of multiple sclerosis.Neurol. Res. Int. 2011; 2011780712https://doi.org/10.1155/2011/780712
- Bruton Tyrosine Kinase is a therapeutic target in stem-like cells from multiple myeloma.Cancer Res. 2015; 75: 594-604https://doi.org/10.1158/0008-5472.CAN-14-2362
- Inhibition of Bruton Tyrosine Kinase reduces neuroimmune cascade and promotes recovery after spinal cord injury.Int. J. Mol. Sci. 2021; 23https://doi.org/10.3390/ijms23010355