- •OCT can differentiate definite NMOSD from patients suspected of NMOSD but not fulfilling the diagnostic criteria.
- •Retinal layer measures by OCT in patients with possible NMOSD are similar to those in definite NMOSD.
- •Retinal layer measures by OCT in possible NMOSD are lower than in MS and healthy controls.
- •OCT could be a valuable addition to the current consensus diagnostic criteria of NMOSD.
Material and methods
Abbreviations:pNMOSD (potential neuromyelitis optica-spectrum disorder), dNMOSD (definite NMO-spectrum disorder), RRMS (relapsing remitting multiple sclerosis), pRNFL (peripapillary retinal nerve fiber layer), INL (inner nuclear layer), mRNFL (macular retinal nerve fiber layer), ONL (outer nuclear layer), GCIPL (ganglion cell/inner plexiform layer), MV (macular volume)
Purchase one-time access:Academic & Personal: 24 hour online accessCorporate R&D Professionals: 24 hour online access
One-time access price info
- For academic or personal research use, select 'Academic and Personal'
- For corporate R&D use, select 'Corporate R&D Professionals'
Subscribe:Subscribe to Multiple Sclerosis and Related Disorders
- High resolution retinal scanning reveals regional structural differences between MS and NMOSD optic neuritis regardless of antibody status.J. Neurol. Sci. 2018; 384: 61-66https://doi.org/10.1016/j.jns.2017.11.017
- Applying an opensource segmentation algorithm to different OCT devices in multiple sclerosis patients and healthy controls: implications for clinical trials.Mult. Scler. Int. 2015; 2015136295
- The retinal nerve fiber layer of patients with neuromyelitis optica and chronic relapsing optic neuritis is more severely damaged than patients with multiple sclerosis.J. Neuroophthalmol. 2013; 33: 220-224https://doi.org/10.1097/wno.0b013e31829f39f1
- The APOSTEL recommendations for reporting quantitative optical coherence tomography studies.Neurology. 2016; 86: 2303-2309https://doi.org/10.1212/wnl.0000000000002774
- Neuromyelitis optica spectrum disorders: spectrum of MR imaging findings and their differential diagnosis—erratum.RadioGraphics. 2018; 38: 662https://doi.org/10.1148/rg.2018184002
- Differential diagnosis of neuromyelitis optica spectrum disorders.Ther. Adv. Neurol. Disord. 2017; 10: 265-289https://doi.org/10.1177/1756285617709723
- Differentiation of neuromyelitis optica from multiple sclerosis on spinal magnetic resonance imaging.Int. J. MS Care. 2012; 14: 209-214https://doi.org/10.7224/1537-2073-14.4.209
- Retinal layer segmentation of macular OCT images using boundary classification.Biomed. Opt. Express. 2013; 4: 1133-1152
- Quantifying visual pathway axonal and myelin loss in multiple sclerosis and neuromyelitis optica.Neuroimage Clin. 2016; 11: 743-750https://doi.org/10.1016/j.nicl.2016.05.014
- Clinical spectrum and IgG subclass analysis of anti-myelin oligodendrocyte glycoprotein antibody-associated syndromes: a multicenter study.J. Neurol. 2017; 264: 2420-2430https://doi.org/10.1007/s00415-017-8635-4
- The contribution of optical coherence tomography in neuromyelitis optica spectrum disorders.Front. Neurol. 2017; 8https://doi.org/10.3389/fneur.2017.00493
- Epidemiology of neuromyelitis optica in the united states: a multicenter analysis.Arch. Neurol. 2012; 69: 1176-1180https://doi.org/10.1001/archneurol.2012.314
- Optical coherence tomography differs in neuromyelitis optica compared with multiple sclerosis.Neurology. 2009; 72: 1077-1082https://doi.org/10.1212/01.wnl.0000345042.53843.d5
- Optical coherence tomography in multiple sclerosis and neuromyelitis optica: an update.Mult. Scler. Int. 2011; 2011: 1-11https://doi.org/10.1155/2011/472790
- Retinal ganglion cell loss in neuromyelitis optica: a longitudinal study.J. Neurol. Neurosurg. Psychiatry. 2018; 89: 1259-1265https://doi.org/10.1136/jnnp-2018-318382
- OCT findings in neuromyelitis optica spectrum disorders.Opt. Coherence Tomogr. Mult. Scler. 2016; : 85-96https://doi.org/10.1007/978-3-319-20970-8_6
- Analysis of spectral domain optical coherence tomography measurements in optic neuritis: Differences in neuromyelitis optica, multiple sclerosis, isolated optic neuritis and normal healthy controls.Acta Ophthalmol. 2014; (Copenh): 92https://doi.org/10.1111/aos.12215
- Subclinical neurodegeneration in multiple sclerosis and neuromyelitis optica spectrum disorder revealed by optical coherence tomography.Mult. Scler. 2019; 26: 1197-1206https://doi.org/10.1177/1352458519861603
- Optical coherence tomography helps differentiate neuromyelitis optica and MS optic neuropathies.Neurology. 2009; 73: 302-308https://doi.org/10.1212/wnl.0b013e3181af78b8
- Optical coherence tomography reflects brain atrophy in MS: a four year study.Ann. Neurol. 2015; 78: 801-813
- Visual dysfunction in multiple sclerosis correlates better with optical coherence tomography derived estimates of macular ganglion cell layer thickness than peripapillary retinal nerve fiber layer thickness.Mult. Scler. 2011; 17: 1449-1463
- Primary retinal pathology in multiple sclerosis as detected by optical coherence tomography.Brain. 2011; 134: 518-533
- Optical coherence tomography reveals distinct patterns of retinal damage in neuromyelitis optica and multiple sclerosis.PLoS One. 2013; 8 (Jun 21): e66151https://doi.org/10.1371/journal.pone.0066151
- Differing structural and functional patterns of optic nerve damage in multiple sclerosis and neuromyelitis optica spectrum disorder.Ophthalmology. 2019; 126: 445-453https://doi.org/10.1016/j.ophtha.2018.06.022
- Aquaporin-4 IgG seropositivity is associated with worse visual outcomes after optic neuritis than MOG-IgG seropositivity and multiple sclerosis, independent of macular ganglion cell layer thinning.Mult. Scler. 2020; 26: 1360-1371https://doi.org/10.1177/1352458519864928
- The OSCAR-IB consensus criteria for retinal OCT quality assessment.PLoS One. 2012; 7https://doi.org/10.1371/journal.pone.0034823
- Evaluation of retinal nerve fiber layer and ganglion cell complex in patients with optic neuritis or neuromyelitis optica spectrum disorders using optical coherence tomography in a Chinese cohort.J. Ophthalmol. 2015; 2015: 1-6https://doi.org/10.1155/2015/832784
- In vivo structural and functional assessment of optic nerve damage in neuromyelitis optica spectrum disorders and multiple sclerosis.Sci. Rep. 2019; : 9https://doi.org/10.1038/s41598-019-46251-3
- International Panel for NMO diagnosis. International consensus diagnostic criteria for neuromyelitis optica spectrum disorders.Neurology. 2015; 85 (Jul 14): 177-189https://doi.org/10.1212/WNL.0000000000001729