- •Multiple sclerosis can be present with facial symptoms and signs, such as facial palsy, myokymia, and hemifacial spasm.
- •Out of the total of 2260 MS patients who were assessed in a one year period 3.27% of which had facial palsy, 1.28% myokymia, and 0.84% presented with hemifacial spasm.
- •No relationship was found between the type of facial presentation and factors such as age, type of MS, the side affected, time of presentation, and gender.
Abbreviations:MS (Multiple Sclerosis), CNS (Central Nervous System)
Purchase one-time access:Academic & Personal: 24 hour online accessCorporate R&D Professionals: 24 hour online access
One-time access price info
- For academic or personal research use, select 'Academic and Personal'
- For corporate R&D use, select 'Corporate R&D Professionals'
Subscribe:Subscribe to Multiple Sclerosis and Related Disorders
- Isolated peripheral facial nerve palsy in multiple sclerosis.BMJ Case Rep. 2018; 11
- Clinical practice guideline: Bell's palsy.Otolaryngol. Neck Surg. 2013; 149: S1-27
- Statistical study of 145 cases of multiple sclerosis.La Sem des Hop organe fonde par l'Association d'enseignement Med des Hop Paris. 1962; 38: 3762-3773
- Facial myokymia and hemifacial spasm in multiple sclerosis: a descriptive study on clinical features and treatment outcomes.Neurologist. 2018; 23: 1-6
- Facial myokymia: a clue to the diagnosis of multiple sclerosis.Postgrad. Med. J. 1972; 48: 657-662
- Clinical and radiological findings of facial paralysis in multiple sclerosis.Mult. Scler. Relat. Disord. 2020; 37101456
- Author correction: multiple sclerosis.Nat. Rev. Dis. Prim. 2018; 4: 49
- Facial palsy in multiple sclerosis.J. Neurol. 1997; 244: 631-633
- Movement disorders in multiple sclerosis: an update.Tremor and Other Hyperkinetic Movements. 2022: 12
- Magnetic resonance imaging of spinal cord lesions in multiple sclerosis.J. Neurol. Neurosurg. Psychiatry. 1989; 52: 459-466
- Multiple sclerosis amongst Chinese in Taiwan.J. Neurol. Sci. 1976; 27: 459-484
- Topiramate-induced persistent eyelid myokymia.Case Rep. Psychiatry. 2016; 2016
- Studies on natural history of multiple sclerosis: 4. Clinical features of the onset bout.Acta Neurol. Scand. 1968; 44: 467-494
- Hemifacial spasm and neurovascular compression.Sci. World J. 2014; : 2014
- Movement disorders in multiple sclerosis: causal or coincidental association?.Mult. Scler. J. 2008; 14: 1284-1287
- Unilateral eyelid myokymia as a form of presentation of multiple sclerosis.Neurol. 2013; 3: 187-189
- Racial modification of clinical picture of multiple sclerosis: comparison between British and Japanese patients.J. Neurol. Sci. 1981; 49: 253-271
- Isolated facial palsy in Iranian multiple sclerosis patients.Neurol. Asia. 2008; 13: 73-75
- Superior oblique myokymia, a review.Curr. Opin. Ophthalmol. 2019; 30: 472-475
- Hemifacial spasm: occurrence in multiple sclerosis.Arch. Otolaryngol. Neck Surg. 1991; 117: 554-556