- •One third of children with transverse myelitis are MOG-IgG positive.
- •MRI differences between children with transverse myelitis and MOG-IgG, NMOSD and MS.
- •Leptomeningeal enhancement is a unique feature for MOGAD.
- •Double seronegative children with transverse myelitis rarely have brain lesions.
Patients and methods
Abbreviations:abs (antibodies), ADEM (acute disseminated encephalomyelitis), ADS (acquired demyelinating syndrome), AQP4 (aquaporin-4), CIS (clinically isolated syndrome), CSF (cerebrospinal fluid), LETM (longitudinally extensive transverse myelitis), MOG (myelin oligodendrocyte glycoprotein), MOGAD (MOG-antibody associated disorders), MS (multiple sclerosis), NMOSD (neuromyelitis optica spectrum disorders), OCBs (oligoclonal bands), TM (transverse myelitis)
Purchase one-time access:Academic & Personal: 24 hour online accessCorporate R&D Professionals: 24 hour online access
One-time access price info
- For academic or personal research use, select 'Academic and Personal'
- For corporate R&D use, select 'Corporate R&D Professionals'
Subscribe:Subscribe to Multiple Sclerosis and Related Disorders
- Proposed diagnostic criteria and nosology of acute transverse myelitis.Neurology. 2002; 59: 499-505https://doi.org/10.1212/wnl.59.4.499
- Pediatric Acute Transverse Myelitis Overview and Differential Diagnosis.J. Child Neurol. 2012; 27: 1426-1436https://doi.org/10.1177/0883073812452916
- Pain and spinal cord imaging measures in children with demyelinating disease.NeuroImage. Clinical. 2015; 9: 338-347https://doi.org/10.1016/j.nicl.2015.08.019
- Pediatric transverse myelitis.Neurology. 2016; 87: S46-S52https://doi.org/10.1212/WNL.0000000000002820
- Prognostic relevance of MOG antibodies in children with an acquired demyelinating syndrome.Neurology. 2017; 89: 900-908https://doi.org/10.1212/WNL.0000000000004312
- Myelin oligodendrocyte glycoprotein antibodies are associated with a non-MS course in children.Neurology(R) neuroimmunology & neuroinflammation. 2015; 2: e81https://doi.org/10.1212/NXI.0000000000000081
- Autoantibodies to MOG in a distinct subgroup of adult multiple sclerosis.Neurology(R) neuroimmunology & neuroinflammation. 2016; 3: e257https://doi.org/10.1212/NXI.0000000000000257
- MRI of the first event in pediatric acquired demyelinating syndromes with antibodies to myelin oligodendrocyte glycoprotein.J. Neurol. 2018; 265: 845-855https://doi.org/10.1007/s00415-018-8781-3
- Clinical, Radiologic, and Prognostic Features of Myelitis Associated With Myelin Oligodendrocyte Glycoprotein Autoantibody.JAMA Neurol. 2019; 76: 301-309https://doi.org/10.1001/jamaneurol.2018.4053
- Diagnostic algorithm for relapsing acquired demyelinating syndromes in children.Neurology. 2017; 89: 269-278https://doi.org/10.1212/WNL.0000000000004117
- Comparison of Spinal Cord Magnetic Resonance Imaging Features Among Children With Acquired Demyelinating Syndromes.JAMA network open. 2021; 4e2128871https://doi.org/10.1001/jamanetworkopen.2021.28871
- Antibodies to MOG and AQP4 in children with neuromyelitis optica and limited forms of the disease.J. Neurol. Neurosurg. Psychiatry. 2016; 87: 897-905https://doi.org/10.1136/jnnp-2015-311743
- Complement activating antibodies to myelin oligodendrocyte glycoprotein in neuromyelitis optica and related disorders.Journal of neuroinflammation. 2011; 8: 184https://doi.org/10.1186/1742-2094-8-184
- International consensus diagnostic criteria for neuromyelitis optica spectrum disorders.Neurology. 2015; 85: 177-189https://doi.org/10.1212/WNL.0000000000001729
- Diagnosis of multiple sclerosis: 2017 revisions of the McDonald criteria.The Lancet Neurology. 2018; 17: 162-173https://doi.org/10.1016/S1474-4422(17)30470-2
- Magnetic resonance imaging in enterovirus-71, myelin oligodendrocyte glycoprotein antibody, aquaporin-4 antibody, and multiple sclerosis-associated myelitis in children.Dev. Med. Child Neurol. 2019; 61: 1108-1116https://doi.org/10.1111/dmcn.14114
- MOG-IgG in NMO and related disorders: a multicenter study of 50 patients. Part 2: Epidemiology, clinical presentation, radiological and laboratory features, treatment responses, and long-term outcome.Journal of neuroinflammation. 2016; 13: 280https://doi.org/10.1186/s12974-016-0718-0
- Distinction between MOG antibody-positive and AQP4 antibody-positive NMO spectrum disorders.Neurology. 2014; 82: 474-481https://doi.org/10.1212/WNL.0000000000000101
- Quantitative spinal cord MRI in MOG-antibody disease, neuromyelitis optica and multiple sclerosis.Brain a journal of neurology. 2021; 144: 198-212https://doi.org/10.1093/brain/awaa347
- Frequency and characteristics of short versus longitudinally extensive myelitis in adults with MOG antibodies: A retrospective multicentric study.Mult. Scler. 2020; 26: 936-944https://doi.org/10.1177/1352458519849511
- Distinct brain imaging characteristics of autoantibody-mediated CNS conditions and multiple sclerosis.Brain a journal of neurology. 2017; 140: 617-627https://doi.org/10.1093/brain/aww350