- •Satralizumab, an antibody against IL-6R, has been recently approved in Neuromyelitis Optica Spectrum Disorder(NMOSD).
- •Targeting IL-6 and IL-6 receptor (as it happens with Satralizumab) results in inhibition of both pro and anti-inflammatory pathways of IL-6. The detrimental role of IL-6 in NMOSD could be played by the trans-signaling pathway (the pro-inflammatory one).
- •sgp130Fc(Olamkicept) is a monoclonal antibody that prevents only the pro-inflammatory pathway of IL-6 to be activated, it could be a better way to target IL-6 pathway in Neuromyelitis Optica Spectrum Disorder.
To read this article in full you will need to make a payment
Purchase one-time access:Academic & Personal: 24 hour online accessCorporate R&D Professionals: 24 hour online access
One-time access price info
- For academic or personal research use, select 'Academic and Personal'
- For corporate R&D use, select 'Corporate R&D Professionals'
Subscribe:Subscribe to Multiple Sclerosis and Related Disorders
Already a print subscriber? Claim online access
Already an online subscriber? Sign in
Register: Create an account
Institutional Access: Sign in to ScienceDirect
- Trial of Satralizumab in Neuromyelitis Optica Spectrum Disorder.New Engl. J. Med. 2019; 381: 2114-2124
- Interleukin-6 in Neuromyelitis Optica Spectrum Disorder pathophysiology.Neurol. Neuroimmunol. Neuroinflamm. 2020; 7: e841
- IL-6 trans-signaling via the soluble IL-6 receptor: importance for the pro-inflammatory activities of IL-6.Int. J. Biol. Sci. 2012; 8: 1237-1247
- Blocking only the bad side of IL-6 in inflammation and cancer.Cytokine. 2021; 148155690
- Therapeutic interleukin-6 trans-signaling inhibition by Olamkicept (sgp130Fc) in patients with active inflammatory bowel disease.Gastroenterology. 2021; 160 (e2311): 2354-2366
- Trans-signaling is a dominant mechanism for the pathogenic actions of interleukin-6 in the brain.J. Neurosci. 2014; 34 (Feb 12): 2503-2513
- The role of interleukin-6 signaling in nervous tissue.Biochim. Biophys. Acta. 2016; 1863 (Jun): 1218-1227
- The emerging role of microglia in Neuromyelitis Optica.Front. Immunol. 2021; 12 (Feb 19)616301
- New BBB model reveals that IL-6 blockade suppressed the BBB disorder, preventing onset of NMOSD.Neurol. Neuroimmunol. Neuroinflamm. 2021; 8 (Oct 19): e1076https://doi.org/10.1212/NXI.0000000000001076
- Notable increased cerebrospinal fluid levels of soluble interleukin-6 receptors in Neuromyelitis Optica.Neuroimmunomodulation. 2012; 19: 304-308https://doi.org/10.1159/000339302
Published online: July 06, 2022
Accepted: July 5, 2022
Received in revised form: July 2, 2022
Received: June 21, 2022
© 2022 Elsevier B.V. All rights reserved.