- •Scoring at least 3 points best distinguished MS from ADEM: presence of CSF-specific oligoclonal bands (2 points), occipital lesion (1 point), age 11–17 years (1 point), female sex (1 point).
- •Criteria with only MRI features had good but poorer performance than these criteria.
- •The McDonald 2017 criteria had poor performance to distinguish MS and ADEM at baseline.
Abbreviations:ADEM (acute disseminated encephalomyelitis), AUC (area under the curve), CSF (cerebrospinal fluid), ICD (International Classification of Diseases), IPMSSG (International Pediatric MS Study Group), MOG (myelin oligodendrocyte glycoprotein), MS (multiple sclerosis)
Purchase one-time access:Academic & Personal: 24 hour online accessCorporate R&D Professionals: 24 hour online access
One-time access price info
- For academic or personal research use, select 'Academic and Personal'
- For corporate R&D use, select 'Corporate R&D Professionals'
Subscribe:Subscribe to Multiple Sclerosis and Related Disorders
- Comparison of MRI criteria at first presentation to predict conversion to clinically definite multiple sclerosis.Brain J. Neurol. 1997; 120 (Nov): 2059-2069
- Children with multiphasic disseminated encephalomyelitis and antibodies to the myelin oligodendrocyte glycoprotein (MOG): extending the spectrum of MOG antibody positive diseases.Mult. Scler. 2016; 22 (Dec): 1821-1829
- Magnetic resonance imaging at baseline and follow-up to differentiate between pediatric monophasic acquired CNS demyelination and MS.Mult. Scler. Relat. Disord. 2020; 46 (Nov 1)102590
- Magnetic resonance imaging criteria at onset to differentiate pediatric multiple sclerosis from acute disseminated encephalomyelitis: a nationwide cohort study.Mult. Scler. Relat. Disord. 2022; 62 (Mar 12)103738
- Diagnostic value of oligoclonal bands in children: a nationwide population-based cohort study.Pediatr. Neurol. 2019; 97: 56-63
- Incidence of pediatric neuromyelitis optica spectrum disorder and myelin oligodendrocyte glycoprotein antibody-associated disease in Denmark 2008‒2018: a nationwide, population-based cohort study.Mult. Scler. Relat. Disord. 2019; 33 (Aug): 162-167
- School performance and psychiatric morbidity 6 years after pediatric acute disseminated encephalomyelitis: a nationwide population-based cohort study.Mult. Scler. Relat. Disord. 2019; 36 (Nov)101425
- Pediatric acquired demyelinating syndromes: a nationwide validation study of the Danish National Patient Register.Clin. Epidemiol. 2018; 2018: 391-399
- Pediatric-onset multiple sclerosis and other acquired demyelinating syndromes of the central nervous system in Denmark during 1977-2015: a nationwide population-based incidence study.Mult. Scler. J. 2018; 24 (Jul): 1077-1086
- Implications of the International Paediatric Multiple Sclerosis Study Group consensus criteria for paediatric acute disseminated encephalomyelitis: a nationwide validation study.Dev. Med. Child Neurol. 2018; 60 (Nov 1): 1123-1131
- Onset symptoms in paediatric multiple sclerosis.Dan. Med. J. 2014; 61 (Apr): A4800
- Role of MRI in the differentiation of ADEM from MS in children.Neurology. 2009; 72 (Mar 17): 968-973
- MRI and laboratory features and the performance of international criteria in the diagnosis of multiple sclerosis in children and adolescents: a prospective cohort study.Lancet Child Adolesc. Health. 2018; 2 (Mar): 191-204
- MRI criteria for the diagnosis of multiple sclerosis: MAGNIMS consensus guidelines.Lancet Neurol. 2016; 15 (Mar): 292-303
- Cerebrospinal fluid oligoclonal bands in the diagnosis of multiple sclerosis. Isoelectric focusing with IgG immunoblotting compared with high-resolution agarose gel electrophoresis and cerebrospinal fluid IgG index.Am. J. Clin. Pathol. 2003; 120 (Nov): 672-675
- Diagnostic algorithm for relapsing acquired demyelinating syndromes in children.Neurology. 2017; 89 (Jul 18): 269-278
- MOG spectrum disorders and role of MOG-antibodies in clinical practice.Neuropediatrics. 2018; 49: 3-11
- Prognostic relevance of MOG antibodies in children with an acquired demyelinating syndrome.Neurology. 2017; 89 (Aug 29): 900-908
- Anti-MOG antibodies plead against MS diagnosis in an acquired demyelinating syndromes cohort.Mult. Scler. 2015; 21 (Oct): 1513-1520
- International pediatric MS Study group. Consensus definitions proposed for pediatric multiple sclerosis and related disorders.Neurology. 2007; 68 (Apr 17): S7-12
- International pediatric multiple sclerosis study group criteria for pediatric multiple sclerosis and immune-mediated central nervous system demyelinating disorders: revisions to the 2007 definitions.Mult. Scler. 2013; 19 (Sep): 1261-1267
- The Danish multiple sclerosis registry.Brain Behav. 2021; 11 (Jan): e01921
- MRI prognostic factors for relapse after acute CNS inflammatory demyelination in childhood.Brain J. Neurol. 2004; 127 (Sep): 1942-1947
- Prognostic factors after a first attack of inflammatory CNS demyelination in children.Neurology. 2008; 71 (Sep 23): 967-973
- Predictors of evolution into multiple sclerosis after a first acute demyelinating syndrome in children and adolescents.Front. Neurol. 2019; ([Internet]Jan 15 [cited 2021 Feb 16];9. Available from)
- Diagnostic criteria for multiple sclerosis: 2010 revisions to the McDonald criteria.Ann. Neurol. 2011; 69 (Feb 1): 292-302
- 2010 McDonald criteria for diagnosing pediatric multiple sclerosis.Ann. Neurol. 2012; 72 (Aug): 211-223
- Diagnosis of multiple sclerosis: 2017 revisions of the McDonald criteria.Lancet Neurol. 2018; 17 (Feb): 162-173
- MRI parameters for prediction of multiple sclerosis diagnosis in children with acute CNS demyelination: a prospective national cohort study.Lancet Neurol. 2011; 10 (Dec): 1065-1073
- Serial anti-myelin oligodendrocyte glycoprotein antibody analyses and outcomes in children with demyelinating syndromes.JAMA Neurol. 2020; 77 (Jan 1): 82-93
- Neurological update: MOG antibody disease.J. Neurol. 2019; 266 (May): 1280-1286