- •The mean psychosocial subscale scores difference between 2 groups was significant.
- •Differences in cognitive scores between groups were significant (p˂0.001).
- •The mean total score for MFIS was statistically significant between 2 groups.
- •lavender can be an effective intervention in reducing fatigue in RRMS patients.
- •The lavender's neuroprotective and antioxidant effects may explain the findings.
Fatigue is one of the most common complications of Multiple Sclerosis (MS) patients. Several pharmacological and non-pharmacological interventions have been recommended to control this complication. Lavender is one of the plants considered by Persian Medicine (PM) and recommended by scholars of past centuries in the treatment of neurological diseases. This study aimed to investigate the efficacy of lavender capsule on improving fatigue symptoms in MS patients.
Material and methods
In a double-blind, controlled trial, using a computer block randomization approach, 48 confirmed MS patients with eligibility criteria of being 18 years or older, Modified Fatigue Impact Scale (MFIS) ≥25, relapsing-remitting MS patients, EDSS ≤6, not pregnant, not breastfeeding, and not suffering from other diseases that cause fatigue, were randomized to receive capsules containing 600mg of lavender flowers as the intervention group or capsules containing 600mg cornstarch as the control group. Patients were randomized after completing the MFIS and were asked to take one capsule three times daily for 60 days. The MFIS again checked to assess the impact of two interventions. Analysis of Covariance (ANCOVA) was used to assess the impact of two interventions.
24 patients included in each group. The mean (standard deviation) of MFIS was 40.56 (7.63) in the intervention and 41.43 (7.89) in the control groups (p=0.706) before the intervention. However, there was a significant reduction (p0.001˂) in the intervention group, 7.04 (4.91) compared to the control group, 38.17 (9.78) after the intervention.
In comparison to cornstarch capsules, consuming the capsules of lavender flowers decreased the MFIS in MS patients.
To read this article in full you will need to make a payment
Purchase one-time access:Academic & Personal: 24 hour online accessCorporate R&D Professionals: 24 hour online access
One-time access price info
- For academic or personal research use, select 'Academic and Personal'
- For corporate R&D use, select 'Corporate R&D Professionals'
Subscribe:Subscribe to Multiple Sclerosis and Related Disorders
Already a print subscriber? Claim online access
Already an online subscriber? Sign in
Register: Create an account
Institutional Access: Sign in to ScienceDirect
- Anti-inflammatory activity of hydroalcoholic extracts of Lavandula dentata L. and Lavandula stoechas L.J. Ethnopharmacol. 2016; 190: 142-158
- In vitro propagation affectsthe composition of narrow-leaved lavender essential oils.Acta Chromatogr. 2018; 30: 225-230
- Achillea millefoliumis beneficial as an add-on therapy in patients with multiple sclerosis: a randomized placebo-controlled clinical trial.Phytomedicine. 2019; 52: 89-97
- The effect of aromatherapy massage on the fatigue severity in women with multiple sclerosis.Q.J. Sabzevar Univ. Med. Sci. 2011; 18: 172-178
- Evidence for the involvement of ionotropic glutamatergic receptors on the antinociceptive effect of (−)-linalool in mice.Neurosci. Lett. 2008; 440: 299-303
- Andrographis paniculata decreases fatigue in patients with relapsing-remitting multiple sclerosis: a 12-month double-blind placebo-controlled pilot study.BMC Neurol. 2016; 16: 1-8
- Effectiveness of energy conservation management on fatigue and participation in multiple sclerosis: a randomized controlled trial.Mult. Scler. J. 2017; 23: 1527-1541
- Atlas of multiple sclerosis 2013: a growing global problem with widespread inequity.Neurology. 2014; 83: 1022-1024
- Diagnosis of multiple sclerosis: progress and challenges.Lancet North Am. Ed. 2017; 389: 1336-1346
- Effects of Lavender tea on fatigue, depression, and maternal-infant attachment in sleep-disturbed postnatal women.Worldviews Evid. Based Nurs. 2015; 12: 370-379
- Coles. Multiple sclerosis.Lancet. 2008; 372: 1502-1517
- Ginseng in the treatment of fatigue in multiple sclerosis: a randomized, placebo-controlled, double-blind pilot study.Int. J. Neurosci. 2013; 123: 480-486
- Validity and reliability of Persian version of Modified Fatigue Impact Scale (MFIS) questionnaire in Iranian patients with multiple sclerosis.Disabil. Rehabil. 2013; 35: 1509-1512
- Psychometric properties of a Persian-language version of the Beck Depression Inventory-Second edition: BDI-II-PERSIAN.Depress. Anxiety. 2005; 21: 185-192
- Lavender in Iranian traditional medicine and new studies.J. Islam. Iran. Tradit. Med. 2017; 8: 161-172
- PDR for Herbal Medicines.Thomson Healthcare, Montvale2004
- Fatigue interventions in long term, physical health conditions: a scoping review of systematic reviews.PLoS One. 2018; 13e0203367
- Fatigue in multiple sclerosis—a brief review.J. Neurol. Sci. 2012; 323: 9-15
- The socioeconomic consequences of multiple sclerosis: a controlled national study.Eur. Neuropsychopharmacol. 2012; 22: 36-43
- Aqueous extract of lavender (Lavandula angustifolia) improves the spatial performance of a rat model of Alzheimer's disease.Neurosci. Bull. 2011; 27: 99-106
- An evaluation of extracts of five traditional medicinal plants from Iran on the inhibition of mushroom tyrosinase activity and scavenging of free radicals.Int. J. Cosmet. Sci. 2009; 31: 375-381
- Lavender and the nervous system.Evid. Based Complement. Alternat. Med. 2013;
- Rating neurologic impairment in multiple sclerosis: an expanded disability status scale (EDSS).Neurology. 1983; 33: 1444
- Linalool ameliorates memory loss and behavioral impairment induced by REM-sleep deprivation through the serotonergic pathway.Biomole. Ther. 2018; 26: 368
- Exploring pharmacological mechanisms of lavender (Lavandula angustifolia) essential oil on central nervous system targets.Front. Pharmacol. 2017; 8: 280
- The effect of evening primrose oil on fatigue and quality of life in patients with multiple sclerosis.Neuropsychiatr. Dis. Treat. 2018; 14: 1505
- A review on the potential use of medicinal plants from Asteraceae and Lamiaceae plant family in cardiovascular diseases.Front. Pharmacol. 2020; 11: 852
- Effect of aromatherapy via inhalation on the sleep quality and fatigue level in people undergoing hemodialysis.Appl. Nurs. Res. 2017; 37: 28-35
- Safety and efficacy of amantadine, modafinil, and methylphenidate for fatigue in multiple sclerosis: a randomised, placebo-controlled, crossover, double-blind trial.LancetNeurol. 2021; 20: 38-48
- Interactions between genetic, lifestyle and environmental risk factors for multiple sclerosis.Nat. Rev. Neurol. 2017; 13: 25-36
- In vitro proliferationand wound healing effects of Narcissus tazetta L. bulb on primary human dermal fibroblasts.J. Pharm. Res. Int. 2017; : 1-11
- Proliferation and invitro wound healing effects of the Microniosomes containing Narcissus tazetta L. bulb extract on primary human fibroblasts (HDFs).DARU J. Pharm. Sci. 2018; 26: 31-42
- The impact of physical exercise on the fatigue symptoms in patients with multiple sclerosis: a systematic review and meta-analysis.BMC Neurol. 2020; 20: 93
- Effect of Boswellia papyrifera on cognitive impairment in multiple sclerosis.Iran. J. Neurol. 2014; 13: 149
Tavakoli-Far, F., Amiri-Ardekani, E., Tehrany, A., 2020. Allium sativum L.(Garlic) Role in Osteoarthritis: A Systematic Review of Clinical Trials.
- Antioxidant, analgesic and anti-inflammatory effects of lavender essential oil.Anais Acad. Bras. Ciênc. 2015; 87: 1397-1408
- Role of Iranian medicinal plants in the prevention of COVID-19.Future Nat. Prod. 2021; 7: 57-72
- Multiple sclerosis.Lancet. 2018; 391: 1622-1636
- Diagnosis of multiple sclerosis: 2017 revisions of the McDonald criteria.LancetNeurol. 2018; 17: 162-173
- Neuroprotective activity of lavender oil on transient focal cerebral ischemia in mice.Molecules. 2012; 17: 9803-9817
- Biosynthesis and therapeutic properties of Lavandula essential oil constituents.Planta Med. 2011; 77: 7-15
Published online: June 25, 2022
Accepted: June 24, 2022
Received in revised form: June 4, 2022
Received: February 2, 2022
© 2022 Elsevier B.V. All rights reserved.