- •Oxidized cholesterol molecules (oxysterols) have been implicated in multiple sclerosis (MS).
- •The relationship between oxysterol and vascular pathology was investigated in 99 MS patients and 38 healthy controls.
- •Higher 24-hydroxycholesterol (HC) levels are associated with smaller lumen of the common carotid artery (CCA) in relapsing-remitting MS patients.
- •Higher 24HC levels were also associated with greater time-averaged and peak diastolic velocities.
- •Potent anti-inflammatory therapy may decrease the oxysterol levels in MS patients.
Materials and Methods
Purchase one-time access:Academic & Personal: 24 hour online accessCorporate R&D Professionals: 24 hour online access
One-time access price info
- For academic or personal research use, select 'Academic and Personal'
- For corporate R&D use, select 'Corporate R&D Professionals'
Subscribe:Subscribe to Multiple Sclerosis and Related Disorders
- Multiple sclerosis.N. Engl. J. Med. 2018; 378: 169-180
- Hypertension and heart disease are associated with development of brain atrophy in multiple sclerosis: a 5-year longitudinal study.Eur. J. Neurol. 2019; 26: 87-e8
- Cholesterol and neurodegeneration: longitudinal changes in serum cholesterol biomarkers are associated with new lesions and gray matter atrophy in multiple sclerosis over 5 years of follow-up.Eur. J. Neurol. 2020; 27 (188-e4)
- Effect of high-dose simvastatin on brain atrophy and disability in secondary progressive multiple sclerosis (MS-STAT): a randomised, placebo-controlled, phase 2 trial.Lancet. 2014; 383: 2213-2221
- Effect of high-dose simvastatin on cognitive, neuropsychiatric, and health-related quality-of-life measures in secondary progressive multiple sclerosis: secondary analyses from the MS-STAT randomised, placebo-controlled trial.Lancet Neurol. 2017; 16: 591-600
- Low-density lipoproteins cause atherosclerotic cardiovascular disease. 1. evidence from genetic, epidemiologic, and clinical studies. a consensus statement from the european atherosclerosis society consensus panel.Eur. Heart J. 2017; 38: 2459-2472
- Reactive oxygen species generation and atherosclerosis.Arterioscler. Thromb. Vasc. Biol. 2017; 37: e41-e52
- Five-year longitudinal study of neck vessel cross-sectional area in multiple sclerosis.AJNR Am. J. Neuroradiol. 2018; 39: 1703-1709
- Is multiple sclerosis a risk factor for atherosclerosis?.J. Neuroradiol. 2021; 48: 99-103
- 25-Hydroxycholesterol acts as an amplifier of inflammatory signaling.Proc. Natl. Acad. Sci. U. S. A. 2014; 111: 10666-10671
- Oxysterols: old tale, new twists.Annu. Rev. Pharmacol. Toxicol. 2016; 56: 447-467
- cDNA cloning of cholesterol 24-hydroxylase, a mediator of cholesterol homeostasis in the brain.Proc. Natl. Acad. Sci. U. S. A. 1999; 96: 7238-7243
- Oxysterols and apolipoproteins in multiple sclerosis: a 5 year follow-up study.J. Lipid Res. 2019; 60: 1190-1198
- Transcriptional regulators of T Helper 17 cell differentiation in health and autoimmune diseases.Front. Immunol. 2020; 11: 348
- Lower total cerebral arterial flow contributes to cognitive performance in multiple sclerosis patients.Mult. Scler. 2020; 26: 201-209
- Diagnostic criteria for multiple sclerosis: 2010 revisions to the McDonald criteria.Ann. Neurol. 2011; 69: 292-302
- Rating neurologic impairment in multiple sclerosis: an expanded disability status scale (EDSS).Neurology. 1983; 33: 1444-1452
- Neck vessel cross-sectional area measured with MRI: scan-rescan reproducibility for longitudinal evaluations.J. Neuroimaging. 2018; 28: 48-56
- Lower arterial cross-sectional area of carotid and vertebral arteries and higher frequency of secondary neck vessels are associated with multiple sclerosis.AJNR Am. J. Neuroradiol. 2018; 39: 123-130
- Vascular disease and multiple sclerosis: a post-mortem study exploring their relationships.Brain. 2020; 143: 2998-3012
- Carotid intima-media thickness is associated with HLA-DRB1×15 in multiple sclerosis.The European Committee for Treatment and Research in Multiple Sclerosis: Mult Scler. 2017; 199514
- Lipoprotein oxidation and progression of carotid atherosclerosis.Circulation. 1997; 95: 840-845
- The role of oxysterols in vascular ageing.J. Physiol. 2016; 594: 2095-2113
- Compensatory increase in common carotid artery diameter. Relation to blood pressure and artery intima-media thickness in older adults. Cardiovascular Health Study.Stroke. 1996; 27: 2012-2015
- Age and disease-related geometric and structural remodeling of the carotid artery.J. Vasc. Surg. 2015; 62: 1521-1528
- A comparison between the pathophysiology of multiple sclerosis and normal pressure hydrocephalus: is pulse wave encephalopathy a component of MS?.Fluids Barriers CNS. 2016; 13: 18
- The pulsating brain: a review of experimental and clinical studies of intracranial pulsatility.Fluids Barriers CNS. 2011; 8: 5
- Relations of arterial stiffness and endothelial function to brain aging in the community.Neurology. 2013; 81: 984-991
- Serum Neurofilament Light Chain Levels are Associated with Lower Thalamic Perfusion in Multiple Sclerosis.Diagnostics (Basel). 2020; 10
- Vascular comorbidities in multiple sclerosis: a nationwide study from Denmark.J. Neurol. 2016; 263: 2484-2493
- Changes in human plasma levels of the brain specific oxysterol 24S-hydroxycholesterol during progression of multiple sclerosis.Neurosci. Lett. 2002; 331: 163-166
- Plasma cerebrosterol and magnetic resonance imaging measures in multiple sclerosis.Clin. Neurol. Neurosurg. 2006; 108: 456-460
- Diagnostic use of cerebral and extracerebral oxysterols.Clin. Chem. Lab. Med. 2004; 42: 186-191
- Expression profiles of cholesterol metabolism-related genes are altered during development of experimental autoimmune encephalomyelitis in the rat spinal cord.Sci. Rep. 2017; 7: 2702
- Liver X receptor and retinoid X receptor agonists inhibit inflammatory responses of microglia and astrocytes.J. Neuroimmunol. 2007; 183: 50-59
- Liver X receptor alpha is important in maintaining blood-brain barrier function.Front. Immunol. 2019; 10: 1811
- The chemoattractant receptor Ebi2 drives intranodal naive CD4(+) T cell peripheralization to promote effective adaptive immunity.Immunity. 2019; 50 (e6): 1188-1201
- Oxysterols direct immune cell migration via EBI2.Nature. 2011; 475: 524-527
- Oxysterols direct B-cell migration through EBI2.Nature. 2011; 475: 519-523
- Oxysterols in autoimmunity.Int. J. Mol. Sci. 2019; 20
- Reduced cerebrospinal fluid concentrations of oxysterols in response to natalizumab treatment of relapsing remitting multiple sclerosis.J. Neurol. Sci. 2015; 358: 201-206
- Oxysterols and cholesterol precursors correlate to magnetic resonance imaging measures of neurodegeneration in multiple sclerosis.Mult. Scler. 2014; 20: 412-417