- •The overall prevalence of MI was 1.7% among MS patients.
- •The pooled odds ratio estimate for MI was 1.4, indicating that MS increased the odds of MI by 41%.
- •This highlights the need for clinicians to be more careful in the face of an increased MI burden in PwMS.
Purchase one-time access:Academic & Personal: 24 hour online accessCorporate R&D Professionals: 24 hour online access
One-time access price info
- For academic or personal research use, select 'Academic and Personal'
- For corporate R&D use, select 'Corporate R&D Professionals'
Subscribe:Subscribe to Multiple Sclerosis and Related Disorders
- Rising prevalence of multiple sclerosis worldwide: Insights from the Atlas of MS.Mult Scler. 2020; 26 (third edition): 1816-1821
- Mortality and comorbidities in patients with multiple sclerosis compared with a population without multiple sclerosis: An observational study using the US Department of Defense administrative claims database.Mult Scler Relat Disord. 2015; 4: 546-554
- Survival in commercially insured multiple sclerosis patients and comparator subjects in the U.S.Mult Scler Relat Disord. 2014; 3: 364-371
Kingwell E., van der Kop M., Zhao Y., Shirani A., Zhu F., Oger J., Montgomery S., Hillert J., Bahmanyar S. et al.Hospital admission due to infections in multiple sclerosis patients. Eur J Neurol. 2013;20(8):1153-60.
- Risk of arterial cardiovascular diseases in patients with multiple sclerosis: a population-based cohort study.Neuroepidemiology. 2010; 35: 267-274
- High risk of cardiovascular diseases after diagnosis of multiple sclerosis.Mult Scler. 2013; 19: 1336-1340
- Risk of vascular disease in patients with multiple sclerosis: a review.Neurol Res. 2012; 34: 746-753
- Autoimmune Comorbid Conditions in Multiple Sclerosis.US Neurology. 2011; 07: 132
- Traditional risk factors may not explain increased incidence of myocardial infarction in MS.Neurology. 2019; 92: e1624-e1e33
- Population-attributable risk of coronary heart disease risk factors during long-term follow-up: the Malmö Preventive Project.J Intern Med. 2006; 260: 134-141
- Intensive care unit admission in multiple sclerosis: increased incidence and increased mortality.Neurology. 2014; 82: 2112-2119
- Effect of comorbidity on mortality in multiple sclerosis.Neurology. 2015; 85: 240-247
- Trends in survival and cause of death in Danish patients with multiple sclerosis.Brain. 2004; 127: 844-850
- Preferred reporting items for systematic review and meta-analysis protocols (PRISMA-P) 2015.statement. Systematic Reviews. 2015; 4: 1
- Methodological quality (risk of bias) assessment tools for primary and secondary medical studies: what are they and which is better?.Military Medical Research. 2020; 7: 7
- Vascular disease among hospitalized multiple sclerosis patients.Neuroepidemiology. 2008; 30: 234-238
- Comorbidity in patients with multiple sclerosis from Nordland, Norway.European Journal of Neurology. 2019; 26: 475
- Trends in hospital readmissions in Multiple Sclerosis patients between 2009 and 2015.Mult Scler Relat Disord. 2020; 45102396
- Comorbidities in patients with multiple sclerosis compared with the general population: retrospective analysis of the US MarketScan Database.Multiple Sclerosis Journal. 2014; 20: 147
- Non-infectious comorbidity in patients with multiple sclerosis: A national cohort study in Sweden.Mult Scler J Exp Transl Clin. 2020; 62055217320947761
- Comorbidity in multiple sclerosis: its temporal relationships with disease onset and dose effect on mortality.Eur J Neurol. 2020; 27: 105-112
- Prevalence of myocardial infarction with normal coronary artery in patients with multiple sclerosis. A new type of diastolic heart failure.European Journal of Heart Failure. 2016; 18: 65
- Leveraging electronic health records for a phenomewide examination of the comorbidity burden associated with multiple sclerosis disease outcome.Multiple Sclerosis. 2014; 20: 164
- Cardiovascular disease (CVD) in patients diagnosed with multiple sclerosis (MS): A study in the UK Clinical Practice Research Database (CPRD).Multiple Sclerosis Journal. 2018; 24: 375-376
- Prevalence of comorbidities in patients with and without multiple sclerosis by age and sex: a US retrospective claims database analysis.Multiple Sclerosis Journal. 2017; 23: 488
- Diseases associated with multiple sclerosis and epilepsy. A population cohort study of 159,200 middle-aged, urban, native Swedes observed over 10 years (1970-79).Acta Neurologica Scandinavica. 1985; 71: 267-277
Lo L.M.P., Taylor B.V., Winzenberg T., Palmer A.J., Blizzard L., Ahmad H., et al. Estimating the relative contribution of comorbidities in predicting health-related quality of life of people with multiple sclerosis. Journal of Neurology.
Lo L.M.P., Taylor B.V., Winzenberg T., Palmer A.J., Blizzard L., van der Mei I. Change and onset-type differences in the prevalence of comorbidities in people with multiple sclerosis. Journal of Neurology.
- Common comorbidities and survival in MS: Risk for stroke, type 1 diabetes and infections.Mult Scler Relat Disord. 2018; 19: 109-114
- Incident cardiovascular disease in patients diagnosed with multiple sclerosis: A multi-database study.Mult Scler Relat Disord. 2020; 37101423
- Cardiovascular comorbidity in multiple sclerosis patients treated with Mitoxantrone therapy: a cohort study.Multiple Sclerosis and Demyelinating Disorders. 2017; 2
- Trends in presenting characteristics and hospital mortality among patients with ST elevation and non-ST elevation myocardial infarction in the National Registry of Myocardial Infarction from 1990 to 2006.Am Heart J. 2008; 156: 1026-1034
- Recent advances in the utility and use of the General Practice Research Database as an example of a UK Primary Care Data resource.Ther Adv Drug Saf. 2012; 3: 89-99
- Cardiovascular Dysfunction in Multiple Sclerosis.Maedica (Bucur). 2015; 10: 364-370
- Discharge Abstract Database (DAD)/CMG/Plx Data Quality: Re-abstraction Study.Canadian Institute for Health Information, Ottawa, Ontario2003