- •Tremor is a disabling condition in MS cases.
- •Deep brain stimulation is used for tremor treatment.
- •The results of this systematic review and meta-analysis show that deep brain stimulation was effective for MS related tremor.
This systematic review and meta-analysis aims to evaluate efficacy of deep brain stimulation (DBS) in treating MS-related tremor.
We systematically searched PubMed, Web of Science, Embase, Scopus, Google Scholar, and gray literature using a search strategy including the MeSH and text words as (((Brain Stimulations) OR (Deep Brain Stimulations) OR (Deep Brain Stimulations) OR (Deep Brain Brain Stimulation) OR (Deep Electrical Stimulation of the Brain)) AND (Multiple Sclerosis OR Sclerosis, Multiple) OR Sclerosis, Disseminated) OR Disseminated Sclerosis) OR MS (Multiple Sclerosis)) OR Multiple Sclerosis, Acute Fulminating).
The literature search revealed 1663 articles, 1027 of which remained after removing duplicates. Seventeen articles, published between 1999-2018, were included for the meta-analysis, including overall 168 patients. Follow-up time ranged between 6-62 months. The pooled frequency of tremor improvement among the enrolled patients was 73%, (95% CI:64-83%) (I2=84.1%, p<0.001). The pooled standardized mean difference (SMD) (after –before) was -2.9, (95% CI:-4.8, -0.98) (I2=89.8%, p<0.001).
The results of this systematic review and meta-analysis demonstrate MS-related tremor improvement after DBS.
To read this article in full you will need to make a payment
Purchase one-time access:Academic & Personal: 24 hour online accessCorporate R&D Professionals: 24 hour online access
One-time access price info
- For academic or personal research use, select 'Academic and Personal'
- For corporate R&D use, select 'Corporate R&D Professionals'
Subscribe:Subscribe to Multiple Sclerosis and Related Disorders
Already a print subscriber? Claim online access
Already an online subscriber? Sign in
Register: Create an account
Institutional Access: Sign in to ScienceDirect
- Prevalence of sexual dysfunction in women with multiple sclerosis: a systematic review and meta-analysis.Maedica. 2019; 14: 408
- Emotional intelligence (EI) of patients with multiple sclerosis (MS).Iranian J. Public Health. 2014; 43: 1550
- A study of tremor in multiple sclerosis.Brain. 2001; 124: 720-730
- Prevalence of tremor in multiple sclerosis and associated disability in the Olmsted County population.Mov. Disord. 2004; 19: 1482-1485
- Prevalence and characteristics of tremor in the NARCOMS multiple sclerosis registry: a cross-sectional survey.BMJ Open. 2015; 5
- Interference of upper limb tremor on daily life activities in people with multiple sclerosis.Occupational Therapy Health Care. 2004; 17: 81-95
- Tremor in multiple sclerosis—an overview and future perspectives.Brain Sci. 2020; 10: 722
- Paroxysmal dystonia and paroxysmal tremor in a young patient with multiple sclerosis.Italian J. Neurol. Sci. 1995; 16: 315-319
- Stereotactic lesional surgery for the treatment of tremor in multiple sclerosis: a prospective case-controlled study.Brain. 2001; 124: 1576-1589
- Oscillopsia without nystagmus caused by head titubation in a patient with multiple sclerosis.J. Neuroophthalmol. 2002; 22: 88-91
- Long-term phonatory instability in individuals with multiple sclerosis.J. Speech Lang. Hear. Res. 1997; 40: 1056-1072
- Tremor in Multiple Sclerosis.BMJ Publishing Group Ltd, 1999
- Deep brain stimulation for multiple sclerosis tremor: a meta-analysis.Neuromodulation. 2020; 23: 463-468
- Tremor in multiple sclerosis.J. Neurol. 2007; 254: 133-145
- Symptomatic management of multiple sclerosis–associated tremor among participants in the NARCOMS registry.Int. J. MS Care. 2016; 18: 147-153
- Weak electromagnetic fields attenuate tremor in multiple sclerosis.Int. J. Neurosci. 1994; 79: 199-212
- The Cochrane Collaboration's tool for assessing risk of bias in randomised trials.BMJ. 2011; 343: d5928
- Deep brain stimulation of the ventral intermediate nucleus of the thalamus for tremor in patients with multiple sclerosis.Neurosurgery. 2010; 67: 646-651
- Tremor reduction and quality of life after deep brain stimulation for multiple sclerosis–associated tremor.Acta Neurochir. (Wien). 2013; 155: 2359-2364
- High-frequency unilateral thalamic stimulation in the treatment of essential and parkinsonian tremor.Ann. Neurol. 1997; 42: 292-299
- Long-term suppression of tremor by chronic stimulation of the ventral intermediate thalamic nucleus.Lancet North Am. Ed. 1991; 337: 403-406
- Multicentre European study of thalamic stimulation in parkinsonian and essential tremor.J. Neurol., Neurosurg. Psychiatry. 1999; 66: 289-296
- Thalamic stimulation in patients with multiple sclerosis: long-term follow-up.Stereotact. Funct. Neurosurg. 2003; 80: 48-55
- Deep brain stimulation and tremor.Neurotherapeutics. 2008; 5: 331-338
- Deep brain stimulation for tremor [correction of trauma]: patient selection and evaluation.Movement Disorders. 2002; 17 (Suppl 3): S102-S111
- Deep brain stimulation for movement disorders: patient selection and technical options.Cleve. Clin. J. Med. 2012; 79: S19-S24
- Neuromodulation in multiple sclerosis.Multiple Sclerosis J. 2017; 23: 1663-1676
Published online: September 06, 2021
Accepted: September 4, 2021
Received in revised form: September 1, 2021
Received: May 11, 2021
© 2021 Published by Elsevier B.V.