- •Medical cannabis treatment at low dose was safe and well tolerated in MS.
- •Treatment resulted in a reduction in pain intensity, spasticity and sleep disturbances.
- •Treatment showed no impairment in ambulation, dexterity or processing speed.
- •Medical cannabis can be used as an alternative to treat spasticity and pain in MS.
Purchase one-time access:Academic & Personal: 24 hour online accessCorporate R&D Professionals: 24 hour online access
One-time access price info
- For academic or personal research use, select 'Academic and Personal'
- For corporate R&D use, select 'Corporate R&D Professionals'
Subscribe:Subscribe to Multiple Sclerosis and Related Disorders
- Validation of a fully automated robotic setup for preparation of whole blood samples for LC-MS toxicology analysis.J. Anal. Toxicol. 2012; 36: 280-287
- Cannabis sativa: The Plant of the Thousand and One Molecules.Front. Plant Sci. 2016; 7: 1-17
- A Cross-Sectional Study of the Impact of Spasticity on Daily Activities in Multiple Sclerosis.Patient. 2016; 9: 537-546
- The influence of THC:CBD oromucosal spray on driving ability in patients with multiple sclerosis-related spasticity.Brain Behav. 2018; 8: 1-11
- Cannabinoids concentration variability in cannabis olive oil galenic preparations.J. Pharm. Pharmacol. 2018; 70: 143-149
Danish Medicines Agency, Guidelines for doctors. Available at: https://www.retsinformation.dk/eli/retsinfo/2018/9000 [DANISH], 2018.
- Prevalence and natural history of pain in adults with multiple sclerosis: Systematic review and meta-analysis.Pain. 2013; 154: 632-642https://doi.org/10.1016/j.pain.2012.12.002
- Lower-risk cannabis use guidelines: A comprehensive update of evidence and recommendations.Am. J. Public Health. 2017; 107: e1-e12
- Illegal cannabis use is common among Danes with multiple sclerosis.Mult. Scler. Relat. Disord. 2019; 33: 5-12https://doi.org/10.1016/j.msard.2019.05.008
- Human cannabinoid pharmacokinetics.Chem. Biodivers. 2007; 4: 1770-1804
- Pharmacokinetics of cannabinoids.Pain Res. Manag. 2005; 10: 15A-22A
- Predictive model accuracy in estimating last Δ9-tetrahydrocannabinol (THC) intake from plasma and whole blood cannabinoid concentrations in chronic, daily cannabis smokers administered subchronic oral THC.Drug Alcohol Depend. 2012; 125: 313-319https://doi.org/10.1016/j.drugalcdep.2012.03.005
- Efficacy and Safety of Cannabidiol Administration in Adults: A Systematic Review of Human Trials.J. Clin. Med. Res. 2020; 12: 129-141
- Randomised controlled trials may underestimate drug effects: Balanced placebo trial design.PLoS One. 2014; 9: 1-7
- Cannabis-based medicines for chronic neuropathic pain in adults.(Review) - Cochrane Library. 2018;
- Practical considerations in medical cannabis administration and dosing.Eur. J. Intern. Med. 2018; 49: 12-19
- The Health Effects of Cannabis and Cannabinoids: The Current State of Evidence and Recommendations for Research.The National Academies Press, Washington, DC2017https://doi.org/10.17226/24625
- The Use of Cannabis and Cannabinoids in Treating Symptoms of Multiple Sclerosis: a Systematic Review of Reviews.Curr. Neurol. Neurosci. Rep. 2018; 18: 8
National Treatment Guidelines, Spasticity. Available at: https://neuro.dk/wordpress/nnbv/generelt-om-symptomatisk-ms-behandling/ [DANISH], 2020.
NICE Guidelines - Cannabis-based medicinal products, Available at: https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/books/NBK552238/#cha.s2.2, 2019.
- The Use of Cannabis and Cannabinoids in Treating Symptoms of Multiple Sclerosis: a Systematic Review of Reviews.Curr. Neurol. Neurosci. Rep. 2018; 18 ([Accessed February 20, 2018]): 8
National Treatment Guidelines, Neuropathic pain. Available at: https://neuro.dk/wordpress/nnbv/behandling-af-neuropatiske-smerter/ [DANISH], 2020.
- Cannabidiol: State of the art and new challenges for therapeutic applications.Pharmacol. Ther. 2017; 175: 133-150
- Oral administration of cannabis and Δ-9-tetrahydrocannabinol (Thc) preparations: A systematic review.Med. 2020; 56: 1-28
- Spontaneous, anecdotal, retrospective, open-label study on the efficacy, safety and tolerability of cannabis galenical preparation (Bedrocan).Int. J. Pharm. Pract. 2019; 27: 264-270
- Cannabinoid therapies in the management of sleep disorders: A systematic review of preclinical and clinical studies.Sleep Med. Rev. 2020; 53101339https://doi.org/10.1016/j.smrv.2020.101339
- Safety and Efficacy of Medical Cannabis in Fibromyalgia.J. Clin. Med. Artic. 2019; 8: 807
- Safety and Efficacy of Medical Cannabis Oil for Behavioral and Psychological Symptoms of Dementia : An-Open Label.Add-On, Pilot Study. 2016; 51: 15-19
- A phase i study to assess the single and multiple dose pharmacokinetics of THC/CBD oromucosal spray.Eur. J. Clin. Pharmacol. 2013; 69: 1135-1147
The Danish Ministry of Health - Medical cannabis pilot program, Available at: http://www.sum.dk/Aktuelt/Nyheder/Medicin/2016/Nov [DANISH], 2018.
The Danish Multiple Sclerosis Registry, Annual report 2018-2019, 2020. Available at https://www.sundhed.dk/content/cms/93/4693_sclerosebehandlingsregistret_aarsrapport2018-2019_offentliggjort.pdf.
- Immune control by endocannabinoids - New mechanisms of neuroprotection?.J. Neuroimmunol. 2007; 184: 127-135
- Do cannabis-based medicinal extracts have general or specific effects on symptoms in multiple sclerosis? A double-blind, randomized, placebo-controlled study on 160 patients.Mult. Scler. 2004; 10: 434-441