- •At baseline 60% of ADEM children fulfilled dissemination in space.
- •On baseline MRI, McDonald criteria were fulfilled in 17% ADEM and 34% MS children.
- •On follow-up MRI, McDonald criteria were fulfilled in 4% ADEM and 65% MS children.
- •Only 42% of ADEM children had complete lesion resolution on follow-up MRI.
- •Rarity of MS in first decade of life should be considered when interpreting MRI.
Abbreviations:: ADEM (acute disseminated encephalomyelitis), ADS (acquired demyelinating syndrome), ICD-10 (International Classification of Diseases version 10), IPMSSG (International Pediatric MS Study Group), MOG (myelin oligodendrocyte glycoprotein), MS (multiple sclerosis)
Purchase one-time access:Academic & Personal: 24 hour online accessCorporate R&D Professionals: 24 hour online access
One-time access price info
- For academic or personal research use, select 'Academic and Personal'
- For corporate R&D use, select 'Corporate R&D Professionals'
Subscribe:Subscribe to Multiple Sclerosis and Related Disorders
- International Pediatric Multiple Sclerosis Study Group criteria for pediatric multiple sclerosis and immune-mediated central nervous system demyelinating disorders: revisions to the 2007 definitions.Mult. Scler. 2013; 19 (Sep): 1261-1267
- Implications of the International Paediatric Multiple Sclerosis Study Group consensus criteria for paediatric acute disseminated encephalomyelitis: a nationwide validation study.Dev. Med. Child Neurol. 2018; 60 (Nov 1): 1123-1131
- Pediatric-onset multiple sclerosis and other acquired demyelinating syndromes of the central nervous system in Denmark during 1977–2015: a nationwide population-based incidence study.Mult. Scler. J. 2018 Jul; 24: 1077-1086
- Prognostic relevance of MOG antibodies in children with an acquired demyelinating syndrome.Neurology. 2017 Aug 29; 89: 900-908
- Incidence of pediatric neuromyelitis optica spectrum disorder and myelin oligodendrocyte glycoprotein antibody-associated disease in Denmark 2008‒2018: a nationwide, population-based cohort study.Mult. Scler. Relat. Disord. 2019 Aug; 33: 162-167
- Diagnosis of multiple sclerosis: 2017 revisions of the McDonald criteria.Lancet Neurol. 2018; 17 (Feb): 162-173
- al. Diagnostic criteria for multiple sclerosis: 2010 revisions to the McDonald criteria..Ann. Neurol. 2011; 69 (Feb 1): 292-302
- Role of MRI in the differentiation of ADEM from MS in children.Neurology. 2009; 72 (Mar 17): 968-973
- Dutch pediatric MS study group. A comparison of MRI criteria for diagnosing pediatric ADEM and MS.Neurology. 2010; 74 (May 4): 1412-1415
- MRI prognostic factors for relapse after acute CNS inflammatory demyelination in childhood.Brain J. Neurol. 2004 Sep; 127: 1942-1947
- The Danish National Patient Register.Scand. J. Public Health. 2011; 39 (Jul): 30-33
- Pediatric acquired demyelinating syndromes: a nationwide validation study of the Danish National Patient Register.Clin. Epidemiol. 2018; 2018: 391-399
- School performance and psychiatric morbidity 6 years after pediatric acute disseminated encephalomyelitis: a nationwide population-based cohort study.Mult. Scler. Relat. Disord. 2019 Nov; 36101425
- Comparison of MRI criteria at first presentation to predict conversion to clinically definite multiple sclerosis.Brain J. Neurol. 1997 Nov; 120: 2059-2069
- High signal intensity in the dentate nucleus and globus pallidus on unenhanced T1-weighted MR images: relationship with increasing cumulative dose of a gadolinium-based contrast material.Radiology. 2014; 270 (Mar): 834-841
Lov om ændring af lov om retshåndhævende myndigheders behandling af personoplysninger, lov om massemediers informationsdatabaser og forskellige andre love [Internet]. LOV nr 503 May 23, 2018. Available from: https://www.retsinformation.dk/Forms/R0710.aspx?id=201317.
- Onset symptoms in paediatric multiple sclerosis.Dan. Med. J. 2014 Apr; 61: A4800