Despite a small population size of up to 17,000 patients in the United States and an incidence of one in 100,000 persons worldwide (
Flanagan et al., 2016;
- Flanagan E.P.
- Cabre P.
- Weinshenker B.G.
- Sauver J.S.
- Jacobson D.J.
- Majed M.
- Lennon V.A.
- Lucchinetti C.F.
- McKeon A.
- Matiello M.
- Kale N.
- Wingerchuk D.M.
- Mandrekar J.
- Sagen J.A.
- Fryer J.P.
- Robinson A.B.
- Pittock S.J.
Epidemiology of aquaporin-4 autoimmunity and neuromyelitis optica spectrum.
Ann. Neurol. 2016; 79: 775-783
Marrie and Gryba, 2013;
- Marrie R.A.
- Gryba C.
The incidence and prevalence of neuromyelitis optica: a systematic review.
Int. J. MS Care. 2013; 15: 113-118
Mealy et al., 2012), neuromyelitis optica spectrum disorder (NMOSD) has attained disproportionate attention over the past few years since the publication of three worldwide randomized placebo-controlled therapeutic trials. In a recent editorial we discussed the first of three drugs to gain approval from the US Food and Drug Administration (FDA) and the European Medicines Agency – eculizumab, an inhibitor of complement C5 (
- Mealy M.A.
- Wingerchuk D.M.
- Greenberg B.M.
- Levy M.
Epidemiology of neuromyelitis optica in the United States: a multicenter analysis.
Arch. Neurol. 2012; 69: 1176-1180
Pardo et al., 2019). The second drug that was just approved in June 2020 is inebilizumab (
- Pardo S.
- Giovannoni G.
- Hawkes C.
- Lechner-Scott J.
- Waubant E.
- Levy M.
Editorial on: eculizumab in aquaporin-4-positive neuromyelitis optica spectrum disorder.
Mult. Scler. Relat. Disord. 2019; 33: A1-A2
- FDA U.
FDA Approves new therapy for rare disease affecting optic nerve.
Spinal Cord. 2020; (Accessed 11 June 2020)
To read this article in full you will need to make a payment
Purchase one-time access:Academic & Personal: 24 hour online accessCorporate R&D Professionals: 24 hour online access
One-time access price info
- For academic or personal research use, select 'Academic and Personal'
- For corporate R&D use, select 'Corporate R&D Professionals'
Subscribe:Subscribe to Multiple Sclerosis and Related Disorders
Already a print subscriber? Claim online access
Already an online subscriber? Sign in
Register: Create an account
Institutional Access: Sign in to ScienceDirect
- Prescription drug pricing: patient financial support.Health Aff. 2017;
- Plasmablasts as migratory IgG-producing cells in the pathogenesis of neuromyelitis optica.PLoS One. 2013; 8: e83036
- Placebo-controlled study in neuromyelitis optica-Ethical and design considerations.Mult. Scler. 2016; 22: 862-872
- An open label study of the effects of rituximab in neuromyelitis optica.Neurology. 2005; 64: 1270-1272
- Inebilizumab for the treatment of neuromyelitis optica spectrum disorder (N-MOmentum): a double-blind, randomised placebo-controlled phase 2/3 trial.Lancet. 2019; 394: 1352-1363
- FDA Approves new therapy for rare disease affecting optic nerve.Spinal Cord. 2020; (Accessed 11 June 2020)https://www.fda.gov/news-events/press-announcements/fda-approves-new-therapy-rare-disease-affecting-optic-nerve-spinal-cord
- Epidemiology of aquaporin-4 autoimmunity and neuromyelitis optica spectrum.Ann. Neurol. 2016; 79: 775-783
- Inebilizumab: first approval.Drugs. 2020; 80: 1259-1264
- What proportion of AQP4-IgG-negative NMO spectrum disorder patients are MOG-IgG positive? A cross sectional study of 132 patients.J. Neurol. 2017; 264: 2088-2094
- Effectiveness and tolerability of immunosuppressants and monoclonal antibodies in preventive treatment of neuromyelitis optica spectrum disorders: a systematic review and network meta-analysis.Mult. Scler. Relat. Disord. 2019; 35: 246-252
- Systematic review of safety and efficacy of rituximab in treating immune-mediated disorders.Front. Immunol. 2019; 10: 1990
- Rituximab-induced serum sickness: a systematic review.Semin. Arthritis Rheum. 2015; 45: 334-340
- Treatment of neuromyelitis optica spectrum disorder: acute, preventive, and symptomatic.Curr. Treat Options Neurol. 2016; 18: 2
- The incidence and prevalence of neuromyelitis optica: a systematic review.Int. J. MS Care. 2013; 15: 113-118
- Epidemiology of neuromyelitis optica in the United States: a multicenter analysis.Arch. Neurol. 2012; 69: 1176-1180
- Comparison of relapse and treatment failure rates among patients with neuromyelitis optica: multicenter study of treatment efficacy.JAMA Neurol. 2014; 71: 324-330
- Editorial on: eculizumab in aquaporin-4-positive neuromyelitis optica spectrum disorder.Mult. Scler. Relat. Disord. 2019; 33: A1-A2
- Secondary antibody deficiency: a complication of anti-CD20 therapy for neuroinflammation.J. Neurol. 2018; 265: 1115-1122
- Trial of satralizumab in neuromyelitis optica spectrum disorder.N. Engl. J. Med. 2019; 381: 2114-2124
Published online: August 26, 2020
© 2020 Elsevier B.V. All rights reserved.