- •People with multiple sclerosis (MS) experience cognitive impairment and sexual dysfunction.
- •Perceived cognitive impairment is associated with sexual dysfunction in MS patients.
- •Perceived cognitive impairment may be an independent risk factor for sexual dysfunction.
Abbreviations:BMI (Body mass index), CI (Confidence interval), CNS (Central Nervous System), HOLISM (Health Outcomes and Lifestyle In a Sample of people with Multiple sclerosis), MS (Multiple sclerosis), MSQOL (Multiple sclerosis quality of life), P-MSSS (Patient-derived multiple sclerosis severity score), PCI (Perceived cognitive impairment), PHQ (Patient Health Questionnaire), PR (Prevalence ratio), PwMS (People with multiple sclerosis), PDDS (Patient-determined disease steps), QoL (Quality of life), RR (Relative risk)
Purchase one-time access:Academic & Personal: 24 hour online accessCorporate R&D Professionals: 24 hour online access
One-time access price info
- For academic or personal research use, select 'Academic and Personal'
- For corporate R&D use, select 'Corporate R&D Professionals'
Subscribe:Subscribe to Multiple Sclerosis and Related Disorders
- Causes of sexual dysfunction: the role of anxiety and cognitive interference.J. Consult. Clin. Psychol. 1986; 54: 140-148
- Sexual dysfunction in relapsing-remitting multiple sclerosis: magnetic resonance imaging, clinical, and psychological correlates.J. Psychiatry Neurosci.: JPN. 1996; 21: 255-258
- Management and rehabilitation of neurologic patients with sexual dysfunction.Handb. Clin. Neurol. 2015; 130: 415-434
- Atlas of Multiple Sclerosis 2013: a growing global problem with widespread inequity.Neurology. 2014; 83: 1022-1024
- Sexual dysfunction in multiple sclerosis: gender differences.J. Neurol. Sci. 2013; 324: 17-20
- McAlpine's Multiple Sclerosis.Livingston, Oxford, Churchill2005
- International physical activity questionnaire: 12-country reliability and validity.Med Sci Sports Exerc. 2003; 35: 1381-1395
- Multiple sclerosis patients with and without sexual dysfunction: are there any differences.Mult. Scler. 2006; 12 (Houndmills, Basingstoke, England): 209-214
- Cognitive impairment, sexual activity and physical tenderness in community-dwelling older adults: a cross-sectional exploration.Gerontology. 2018; 64: 589-602
- Multiple sclerosis and sexual dysfunction.Asian J. Androl. 2012; 14: 530-535
- Methodology of an international study of people with multiple sclerosis recruited through web 2.0 platforms: demographics, lifestyle, and disease characteristics.Neurol. Res. Int. 2013; 2013580596
- Disease steps in multiple sclerosis: a simple approach to evaluate disease progression.Neurology. 1995; 45: 251-255
- Sexual dysfunction in multiple sclerosis.Expert. Rev. Neurother. 2009; 9: 341-350
- Sexual dysfunction in multiple sclerosis: a 6-year follow-up study.J. Neurol. Sci. 2015; 358: 317-323
- The Patient Health Questionnaire-2: validity of a two-item depression screener.Med Care. 2003; 41: 1284-1292
- The fatigue severity scale. Application to patients with multiple sclerosis and systemic lupus erythematosus.Arch Neurol. 1989; 46: 1121-1123
- Sexuality and cognitive status: a U.S. nationally representative study of home-dwelling older adults.J. Am. Geriatr. Soc. 2018; 66: 1902-1910
- Sexual function in multiple sclerosis and associations with demographic, disease and lifestyle characteristics: an international cross-sectional study.BMC Neurol. 2016; 16: 210
- Intimacy and Sexuality.MS Focus. 2005; ([serial online]Available at)
MSIntFederation. 2020, Seven principles to improve quality of life [online]. Available at: https://www.msif.org/living-with-ms/what-influences-quality-of-life/seven-principles-to-improve-quality-of-life/.
- Sexual dysfunction and sexual quality of life among the physically challenged in the Kumasi metropolis, Ghana.Health Qual. Life Outcomes. 2015; 13: 3
- Clinical and imaging assessment of cognitive dysfunction in multiple sclerosis.Lancet Neurol. 2015; 14: 302-317
- Sexual dysfunction and mental health in patients with multiple sclerosis and epilepsy.BMC Neurol. 2020; 20: 41
- Sexual dysfunctions in MS in relation to neuropsychiatric aspects and its psychological treatment: a scoping review.PLoS ONE. 2018; 13e0193381
- Sex differences in response to chronic mild stress and congenital serotonin deficiency.Psychoneuroendocrinology. 2014; 40: 123-129
- Male erectile dysfunction and health-related quality of life.Eur. Urol. 2003; 44: 245-253
- Sexual function in multiple sclerosis. A 5-year follow-up study.Ital. J. Neurol. Sci. 1996; 17: 67-69
- Multiple sclerosis.Lancet. 2018; 391: 1622-1636
- Geographical variations in sex ratio trends over time in multiple sclerosis.PLoS ONE. 2012; 7: e48078
- Sexual communication, sexual satisfaction, and relationship quality in people with multiple sclerosis.Rehabil. Psychol. 2018; 63: 267-275
- Health outcomes and lifestyle in a sample of people with multiple sclerosis (HOLISM): longitudinal and validation cohorts.Front. Neurol. 2018; 9: 1074
WHO. Defining sexual health: report of a technical consultation on sexual health, 28-31 January 2002, Geneva: WHO, 2006.
WHO. Developing sexual health programmes: A framework for action: geneva: world health organization, 2010.
- Insular multiple sclerosis lesions are associated with erectile dysfunction.J. Neurol. 2018; 265: 783-792
- Sex on the brain! Associations between sexual activity and cognitive function in older age.Age Age. 2016; 45: 313-317
- Sexual functioning in multiple sclerosis: relationships with depression, fatigue and physical function.Mult. Scler. 2017; 23 (Houndmills, Basingstoke, England): 1268-1275
- Association between multiple sclerosis and risk of female sexual dysfunction: a systematic review and meta-analysis.J. Sex Med. 2018; 15: 1716-1727
- Sexual dysfunction in multiple sclerosis: II. Correlation analysis..Mult. Scler. 1999; 5 (Houndmills, Basingstoke, England): 428-431
- Sexual dysfunction in multiple sclerosis: a 2-year follow-up study.J. Neurol. Sci. 2001; 187: 1-5