- •Patients with NMOSD had significantly higher CSF YKL-40 levels.
- •CSF YKL-40 positively correlated with the expanded disability status scale scores.
- •YKL-40 could be a severity biomarker and a potential target for NMOSD treatment.
Neuromyelitis optica spectrum disorders (NMOSD) is a severe immune-mediated inflammatory central nervous system (CNS) syndrome. YKL-40, as a new inflammatory marker, has been studied in many autoimmunity and CNS diseases. Our aim of this study was to investigate cerebrospinal fluid (CSF) and serum YKL-40 levels in patients with NMOSD and their association with disease severity.
We measured CSF and serum YKL-40 levels in 29 patients with NMOSD and 21 age- and sex-matched controls. We analyzed the associations between CSF YKL-40 levels and the clinical variables of NMOSD.
Compared to controls, patients with NMOSD had significantly higher CSF YKL-40 levels. Moreover, CSF YKL-40 levels were positively correlated with the Expanded Disability Status Scale scores.
YKL-40 could be a NMOSD severity biomarker and a potential target for NMOSD treatment.
To read this article in full you will need to make a payment
Purchase one-time access:Academic & Personal: 24 hour online accessCorporate R&D Professionals: 24 hour online access
One-time access price info
- For academic or personal research use, select 'Academic and Personal'
- For corporate R&D use, select 'Corporate R&D Professionals'
Subscribe:Subscribe to Multiple Sclerosis and Related Disorders
Already a print subscriber? Claim online access
Already an online subscriber? Sign in
Register: Create an account
Institutional Access: Sign in to ScienceDirect
- The neuroinflammatory biomarker YKL-40 for neurodegenerative diseases: advances in development.Expert. Rev. Proteomics. 2019; 16: 593-600
- YKL-40, a marker of simian immunodeficiency virus encephalitis, modulates the biological activity of basic fibroblast growth factor.Am. J. Pathol. 2008; 173: 130-143
- In vivo CHI3L1 (YKL-40) expression in astrocytes in acute and chronic neurological diseases.J. Neuroinflammation. 2010; 7: 34
- Chitinase 3-like 1: prognostic biomarker in clinically isolated syndromes.Brain. 2015; 138: 918-931
- Elevation of YKL-40 in the CSF of Anti-NMDAR encephalitis patients is associated with poor prognosis.Front. Neurol. 2018; 9: 727
- Cerebrospinal fluid chitinase 3-like 1 levels are associated with conversion to multiple sclerosis.Brain. 2010; 133: 1082-1093
- Chitinase effects on immune cell response in neuromyelitis optica and. multiple sclerosis.Mult. Scler. 2011; 17: 521-531
- The effect of mud pack therapy on serum YKL-40 and hsCRP levels in patients with knee osteoarthritis.Rheumatol. Int. 2012; 32: 1235-1244
- Chitinase 3-like proteins as diagnostic and prognostic biomarkers of multiple sclerosis.Mult. Scler. 2015; 21: 1251-1261
- Neuromyelitis optica IgG stimulates an immunological response in rat astrocyte cultures.Glia. 2014; 62: 692-708
- A/T/N: an unbiased descriptive classification scheme for Alzheimer disease biomarkers.Neurology. 2016; 87: 539-547
- Serum YKL-40 levels and disease characteristics in patients with rheumatoid arthritis.Caspian J. Intern. Med. 2019; 10: 92-97
- Elevated plasma YKL-40. levels and ischemic stroke in the general population.Ann. Neurol. 2010; 68: 672-680
- IgG marker of optic-spinal multiple sclerosis binds to the aquaporin-4 water channel.J. Exp. Med. 2005; 202: 473-477
- A serum autoantibody marker of neuromyelitis optica: distinction from multiple sclerosis.The Lancet. 2004; 364: 2106-2112
- CSF levels of YKL-40 are increased in MS and replaces with immunosuppressive treatment.J. Neuroimmunol. 2014; 269: 87-89
- Glial and neuronal markers in cerebrospinal fluid predict progression in multiple sclerosis.Mult. Scler. 2015; 21: 550-561
- Transcriptional regulation of CHI3L1, a marker gene for late stages of macrophage differentiation.J. Biol. Chem. 2003; 278: 44058-44067
- Disease trajectories in behavioural variant frontotemporal dementia, primary psychiatric and other neurodegenerative disorders presenting with behavioural change.J. Psychiatr. Res. 2018; 104: 183-191
- Cerebrospinal fluid macrophage biomarkers in amyotrophic lateral sclerosis.Ann. Neurol. 2018; 83: 258-268
- Serum YKL-40, a potential new marker of disease activity in patients with inflammatory bowel disease.Scand. J. Gastroenterol. 2003; 38: 599-605
- International consensus diagnostic criteria for neuromyelitis optica spectrum disorders.Neurology. 2015; 85: 177-189
- Human cartilage glycoprotein 39–biomarker of joint damage in knee osteoarthritis.Int. Orthop. 2009; 33: 1165-1170
Published online: July 11, 2020
Accepted: July 11, 2020
Received in revised form: July 5, 2020
Received: April 11, 2020
© 2020 Elsevier B.V. All rights reserved.