- •85.3% of MS patients would like to know about OOP treatment costs.
- •59.6% of MS patients would like to discuss OOP costs with their providers.
- •Only 20.5% of MS patients discuss OOP costs with their providers.
- •Only 15.5% of MS patients inquire about expected OOP costs through their insurer.
- •Providers should take an active role in making cost of care information more accessible to patients.
Background and Purpose
Materials and Methods
Purchase one-time access:Academic & Personal: 24 hour online accessCorporate R&D Professionals: 24 hour online access
One-time access price info
- For academic or personal research use, select 'Academic and Personal'
- For corporate R&D use, select 'Corporate R&D Professionals'
Subscribe:Subscribe to Multiple Sclerosis and Related Disorders
- The prevalence of MS in the United States: a population-based estimate using health claims data.Neurology. 2019; 92: e1029-e1e40
- Jameson JL Fauci AS Kasper DL Hauser SL Longo DL Loscalzo J McGraw-Hill Education, New York, NY2018
- Economic burden of multiple sclerosis and the role of managed sare organizations in multiple sclerosis management.Am. J. Manag. Care. 2016; 22: s151-s158
- Costs and quality of life in multiple sclerosis: a cross-sectional study in the United States.Neurology. 2006; 66: 1696-1702
- Out-of-pocket costs for advanced imaging across the us private insurance marketplace.J. Am. Coll. Radiol.: JACR. 2018; 15: 607-614
- How much is that head CT? Price transparency and variability in radiology.J. Am. Coll. Radiol.: JACR. 2015; 12: 453-457
- The challenge of understanding health care costs and charges.AMA J. Ethics. 2015; 17: 1046-1052
- Health care price transparency and communication: implications for radiologists and patients in an era of expanding shared decision making.AJR Am. J. Roentgenol. 2017; 209: 959-964
- The effect on test ordering of informing physicians of the charges for outpatient diagnostic tests.New Engl. J. Med. 1990; 322: 1499-1504
Services USCfMM. CY 2020 hospital outpatient prospective payment system (OPPS) policy changes: hospital price transparency requirements (CMS-1717-F2). Baltimore, MD2019.
- Patient-physician communication about out-of-pocket costs.JAMA. 2003; 290: 953-958
- Knowledge of the costs of diagnostic imaging: a survey of physician trainees at a large academic medical center.J. Am. Coll. Radiol.: JACR. 2016; 13: 1304-1310
Sadigh G, Lava N, Switchenko J, Duszak R, Krupinski E, Meltzer C, Hughes D, Carlos C. Patient reported financial toxicity in multiple sclerosis: predictors and association with neuroimaging and medication non-adherence. Mult. Scler. J.2020(In press).
- MRI criteria for the diagnosis of multiple sclerosis: MAGNIMS consensus guidelines.Lancet Neurol. 2016; 15: 292-303
- Recommended diagnostic criteria for multiple sclerosis: guidelines from the international panel on the diagnosis of multiple sclerosis.Ann. Neurol. 2001; 50: 121-127
- Development and validation of a financial self-efficacy scale.J. Financ. Counsel. Plann. 2011; 22
- The cost of multiple sclerosis drugs in the US and the pharmaceutical industry: too big to fail?.Neurology. 2015; 84: 2185-2192
- Consum. Asset. Patient Cost Shar. 2017; 2 (Available at:) (Accessed on Oct)
- Barriers to patient-physician communication about out-of-pocket costs.J. Gen. Intern. Med. 2004; 19: 856-860
- Study of physician and patient communication identifies missed opportunities to help reduce patients' out-of-pocket spending.Health Aff. (Millwood). 2016; 35: 654-661
Ungar L, O'Donnel J.Dilemma over deductibles: costs crippling middle class. Available at:http://www.usatoday.com/story/news/nation/2015/01/01/middle-class-workers-struggle-to-pay-for-care-despite-insurance/19841235/. Accessed on September20, 2017.
- Health benefits in 2014: stability in premiums and coverage for employer-sponsored plans.Health Aff. (Millwood). 2014; 33: 1851-1860
- Race and trust in the health care system.Public Health Rep. 2003; 118: 358-365
- The measurement of satisfaction with healthcare: implications for practice from a systematic review of the literature.Health Technol. Assess. 2002; 6: 1-244
- Disaggregating ethnoracial disparities in physician trust.Soc. Sci. Res. 2015; 54: 1-20
- Breast health services: accuracy of benefit coverage information in the individual insurance marketplace.J. Am. Coll. Radiol. 2017; 14 (e5): 482-487
- Prices for common medical services vary substantially among the commercially insured.Health Aff. (Millwood). 2016; 35: 923-927
- Pilot feasibility study of an oncology financial navigation program in brain cancer patients.J. Am. Coll. Radiol. 2019; 16: 1420-1424
- Pilot feasibility study of an oncology financial navigation program.J. Oncol. Pract. 2018; 14: e122-e1e9
- Transforming practices through the oncology care model: financial toxicity and counseling.J. Oncol. Pract. 2017; 13: 519-522