Myelin oligodendrocyte glycoprotein (MOG) antibody disease is an autoimmune disease of the central nervous system associated with a serological antibody against MOG, a glycoprotein expressed on the outer membrane of myelin. It is solely found within the central nervous system in the brain, optic nerves and spinal cord. MOG antibody disease falls within the neuromyelitis optica spectrum disorders (NMOSD), however clinical characteristics appear distinct from aquaporin-4 antibody related disease and multiple sclerosis. It has predilection for causing recurrent optic neuritis and transverse myelitis. Accurate diagnosis is important to determine long term prognosis and suitable treatment. We describe the case of a 42 year old woman previously labelled as MS who demonstrated a variable presentation of MOG antibody disease.
To read this article in full you will need to make a payment
Purchase one-time access:Academic & Personal: 24 hour online accessCorporate R&D Professionals: 24 hour online access
One-time access price info
- For academic or personal research use, select 'Academic and Personal'
- For corporate R&D use, select 'Corporate R&D Professionals'
Subscribe:Subscribe to Multiple Sclerosis and Related Disorders
Already a print subscriber? Claim online access
Already an online subscriber? Sign in
Register: Create an account
Institutional Access: Sign in to ScienceDirect
- Neurological update: MOG antibody disease.J. Neurol. 2019; 266: 1280-1286https://doi.org/10.1007/s00415-018-9122-2
- MOG encephalomyelitis: international recommendations on diagnosis and antibody testing.J. Neuroinflammation. 2018; 15 (Published 2018 May 3): 134https://doi.org/10.1186/s12974-018-1144-2
- MOG antibody-associated demyelinating disease mimicking typical multiple sclerosis: a case for expanding anti-MOG testing?.Mult. Scler. Relat. Disord. 2019; 33: 67‐69https://doi.org/10.1016/j.msard.2019.05.021
- Clinical presentation and prognosis in MOG-antibody disease: a UK study.Brain. 2017; 140: 3128-3138https://doi.org/10.1093/brain/awx276
- MOG antibody disease: a review of MOG antibody seropositive neuromyelitis optica spectrum disorder.Mult. Scler. Relat. Disord. 2018; 25: 66-72https://doi.org/10.1016/j.msard.2018.07.025
- Autoantibodies to MOG in a distinct subgroup of adult multiple sclerosis.Neurol. - Neuroimmunol. Neuroinflammation. 2016; 3: e257
- Clinical course, therapeutic responses and outcomes in relapsing MOG antibody-associated demyelination.J. Neurol. Neurosurg. Psychiatry. 2018; 89: 127-137
Published online: June 26, 2020
Accepted: June 25, 2020
Received in revised form: June 25, 2020
Received: May 27, 2020
© 2020 Elsevier B.V. All rights reserved.