- •Largest study of rituximab in MOG-IgG-associated disorder, includes both adults and children.
- •Rituximab reduced relapse rates in MOG-IgG-associated disorder by 37%.
- •Compared to similar studies in AQP4-IgG-associated NMOSD, the efficacy seems lower.
- •Some patients relapsed despite apparent circulating B-cell depletion.
To assess the effect of anti-CD20 B-cell depletion with rituximab (RTX) on relapse rates in myelin oligodendrocyte glycoprotein antibody-associated disorder (MOGAD).
Retrospective review of RTX-treated MOGAD patients from 29 centres in 13 countries. The primary outcome measure was change in relapse rate after starting rituximab (Poisson regression model).
Data on 121 patients were analysed, including 30 (24.8%) children. Twenty/121 (16.5%) were treated after one attack, of whom 14/20 (70.0%) remained relapse-free after median (IQR) 11.2 (6.3–14.1) months. The remainder (101/121, 83.5%) were treated after two or more attacks, of whom 53/101 (52.5%) remained relapse-free after median 12.1 (6.3–24.9) months. In this ‘relapsing group’, relapse rate declined by 37% (95%CI=19–52%, p<0.001) overall, 63% (95%CI=35–79%, p = 0.001) when RTX was used first line (n = 47), and 26% (95%CI=2–44%, p = 0.038) when used after other steroid-sparing immunotherapies (n = 54). Predicted 1-year and 2-year relapse-free survival was 79% and 55% for first-line RTX therapy, and 38% and 18% for second-/third-line therapy. Circulating CD19+B-cells were suppressed to <1% of total circulating lymphocyte population at the time of 45/57 (78.9%) relapses.
RTX reduced relapse rates in MOGAD. However, many patients continued to relapse despite apparent B-cell depletion. Prospective controlled studies are needed to validate these results.
To read this article in full you will need to make a payment
Purchase one-time access:Academic & Personal: 24 hour online accessCorporate R&D Professionals: 24 hour online access
One-time access price info
- For academic or personal research use, select 'Academic and Personal'
- For corporate R&D use, select 'Corporate R&D Professionals'
Subscribe:Subscribe to Multiple Sclerosis and Related Disorders
Already a print subscriber? Claim online access
Already an online subscriber? Sign in
Register: Create an account
Institutional Access: Sign in to ScienceDirect
- Self-antigen tetramers discriminate between myelin autoantibodies to native or denatured protein.Nat Med. 2007; 13: 211-217
- Complement activating antibodies to myelin oligodendrocyte glycoprotein in neuromyelitis optica and related disorders.J Neuroinflammation. 2011; 8: 184
- Myelin-oligodendrocyte glycoprotein antibodies in adults with a neuromyelitis optica phenotype.Neurology. 2012; 79: 1273-1277
- Association of MOG-IgG serostatus with relapse after acute disseminated encephalomyelitis and proposed diagnostic criteria for MOG-IgG-associated disorders.JAMA Neurol. 2018; 75: 1355-1363
- Clinical presentation and prognosis in MOG-antibody disease: A UK study.Brain. 2017; 140: 3128-3138
- Clinical spectrum and prognostic value of CNS MOG autoimmunity in adults: The MOGADOR study.Neurology. 2018; 90: e1858-e1869
- MOG-IgG in NMO and related disorders: a multicenter study of 50 patients. Part 2: Epidemiology, clinical presentation, radiological and laboratory features, treatment responses, and long-term outcome.J Neuroinflammation. 2016; 13: 280
- What proportion of AQP4-IgG-negative NMO spectrum disorder patients are MOG-IgG positive? A cross sectional study of 132 patients.J Neurol. 2017; 264: 2088-2094
- Disease course and treatment responses in children with relapsing myelin oligodendrocyte glycoprotein antibody-associated disease.JAMA Neurol. 2018; 75: 478-487
- Clinical course, therapeutic responses and outcomes in relapsing MOG antibody-associated demyelination.J Neurol Neurosurg Psychiatry. 2018; 89: 127-137
- Rituximab in relapsing-remitting multiple sclerosis: a 72-week, open-label, phase I trial.Ann Neurol. 2008; 63: 395-400
- B-cell depletion with rituximab in relapsing–remitting multiple sclerosis.N Engl J Med. 2008; 358: 676-688
- Ocrelizumab versus interferon beta-1a in relapsing multiple sclerosis.N Engl J Med. 2017; 376: 221-234
- Ocrelizumab versus placebo in primary progressive multiple sclerosis.N Engl J Med. 2017; 376: 209-220
- An open label study of the effects of rituximab in neuromyelitis optica.Neurology. 2005; 64: 1270-1272
- Treatment of neuromyelitis optica with rituximab: retrospective analysis of 25 patients.Arch Neurol. 2008; 65: 1443-1448
- Long-term follow-up of patients with neuromyelitis optica after repeated therapy with rituximab.Neurology. 2011; 76: 1310-1315
- Comparison of relapse and treatment failure rates among patients with neuromyelitis optica: multicenter study of treatment efficacy.JAMA Neurol. 2014; 71: 324-330
- Repeated treatment with rituximab based on the assessment of peripheral circulating memory B-cells in patients with relapsing neuromyelitis optica over 2 years.Arch Neurol. 2011; 68: 1412-1419
- A 5-year follow-up of rituximab treatment in patients with neuromyelitis optica spectrum disorder.JAMA Neurol. 2013; 70: 1110-1117
- Treatment outcomes with rituximab in 100 patients with neuromyelitis optica: Influence of FCGR3A polymorphisms on the therapeutic response to rituximab.JAMA Neurol. 2015; 72: 989-995
- Neuromyelitis optica spectrum disorders: Long-term safety and efficacy of rituximab in Caucasian patients.Mult Scler. 2016; 22: 511-519
- Efficacy and safety of rituximab therapy in neuromyelitis optica spectrum disorders: A systematic review and meta-analysis.JAMA Neurol. 2016; 73: 1342-1348
- Monitoring CD27+ memory B-cells in neuromyelitis optica spectrum disorders patients treated with rituximab: results from a bicentric study.J Neurol Sci. 2017; 373: 335-338
- Variable results after rituximab in neuromyelitis optica.J Neurol Sci. 2012; 317: 103-105
- Treatment of neuromyelitis optica: review and recommendations.Mult Scler Relat Disord. 2012; 1: 180-187
- Regression to the mean in multiple sclerosis.Mult Scler. 2006; 16: 826-829
- Treatment and prognostic factors for long-term outcome in patients with anti-NMDA receptor encephalitis.Lancet Neurol. 2013; 12: 157-165
- UK Childhood Inflammatory Demyelination (UK-CID) Study and French Kidbiosep Study. Acute idiopathic transverse myelitis in children.Neurology. 2015; 84: 341-349
- Disease exacerbation after rituximab induction in neuromyelitis optica.Neurol Neuroimmunol Neuroinflamm. 2015; 2: e61
- Transient increases in anti-aquaporin-4 antibody titers following rituximab treatment in neuromyelitis optica, in association with elevated serum BAFF levels.J Clin Neurosci. 2011; 18: 997-998
- Pathogenicity of human antibodies against myelin oligodendrocyte glycoprotein.Ann Neurol. 2018; 84: 315-318
- Identification of circulating MOG-specific B cells in patients with MOG antibodies.Neurol Neuroimmunol Neuroinflamm. 2019; 6: e625
- Paediatric acute disseminated encephalomyelitis followed by optic neuritis: disease course, treatment response and outcome.Eur J Neurol. 2018; 25: 782-786
- Tocilizumab in MOG-antibody spectrum disorder: a case report.Mult Scler Relat Disord. 2019; 27: 312-314
- Tocilizumab in severe recurrent anti-MOG-associated optic neuritis.Neurology. 2019; 92: 765-767
- Long-term interleukin-6-receptor blockade in neuromyelitis optica spectrum disorder and MOG associated encephalomyelitis (P1344). Poster presented at: 35 th Congress of the European Committee for Treatment and Research in Multiple Sclerosis; September 11-13.Stockholm, Sweden2019
Published online: June 02, 2020
Accepted: May 29, 2020
Received in revised form: May 25, 2020
Received: March 11, 2020
© 2020 Elsevier B.V. All rights reserved.