- •MOG-Ab-associated disease is a distinct entity with various clinical phenotypes.
- •Epileptic seizures may be one of the core symptoms in this disease.
- •A meta-analysis about the occurrence of epileptic seizures in this disease.
- •Acute epileptic seizures are common in MOG-Ab-associated disease.
Recent reports have suggested that seizures may be a component of the clinical presentation in myelin oligodendrocyte glycoprotein antibody (MOG-Ab)-associated disease. We aimed to conduct a systematic review and meta-analysis to comprehensively evaluate the occurrence of epileptic seizures in the disease.
We searched PubMed, MEDLINE and EMBASE for studies reporting the occurrence of acute symptomatic seizures in MOG-Ab-associated disease. Fixed or random effects model was used to pool results across studies with a meta-analysis.
A total of 14 studies met the inclusion criteria. Overall, acute symptomatic seizures were observed in 20.5% (95% confidence interval [CI] 13.7%-30.7%, I2=60.6%) patients with MOG-Ab-associated disease, and in a similar proportion of children respectively (20.0%; 95% CI 14.3%-27.8%, I2=7.0%). The pooled probability of seizure occurrence in males was 30.1% (95% CI 17.5%-52%, I2=0.0%) while that in females was much lower (12.0%; 95% CI 5.5%-26.4%, I2=0.0%). Furthermore, when we focused on those with acute disseminated encephalomyelitis-like phenotype, 37.3% patients experienced seizures (95% CI 21.0%-66.3%, I2=55.8%).
Our study suggested that epileptic seizures were common in MOG-Ab-associated disease and offered insight into associated factors that contribute to the occurrence of seizures. Future studies with explicit evaluation are required.
To read this article in full you will need to make a payment
Purchase one-time access:Academic & Personal: 24 hour online accessCorporate R&D Professionals: 24 hour online access
One-time access price info
- For academic or personal research use, select 'Academic and Personal'
- For corporate R&D use, select 'Corporate R&D Professionals'
Subscribe:Subscribe to Multiple Sclerosis and Related Disorders
Already a print subscriber? Claim online access
Already an online subscriber? Sign in
Register: Create an account
Institutional Access: Sign in to ScienceDirect
- Children with multiphasic disseminated encephalomyelitis and antibodies to the myelin oligodendrocyte glycoprotein (MOG): extending the spectrum of MOG antibody positive diseases.Mult. Scler. 2016; 22: 1821-1829
- Clinical and neuroradiological differences of paediatric acute disseminating encephalomyelitis with and without antibodies to the myelin oligodendrocyte glycoprotein.J. Neurol. Neurosurg. Psychiatry. 2015; 86: 265-272
- Guideline for evaluating prevalence studies.Evid. Based. Mental. Health. 1998; 1: 37-39
- MOG antibody-related disorders: common features and uncommon presentations.J. Neurol. 2017; 264: 1945-1955
- Epileptic seizures in early-onset multiple sclerosis.Arch. Iran. Med. 2012; 15: 381-383
- Anti-myelin oligodendrocyte glycoprotein (MOG) antibodies in patients with optic neuritis and seizures.J. Neurol. Sci. 2018; 387: 170-173
- Diagnostic algorithm for relapsing acquired demyelinating syndromes in children.Neurology. 2017; 89: 269-278
- Disease course and treatment responses in children with relapsing myelin oligodendrocyte glycoprotein antibody-associated disease.JAMA Neurol. 2018; 75: 478-487
- Seizures and encephalitis in myelin oligodendrocyte glycoprotein IgG disease vs aquaporin 4 IgG disease.JAMA Neurol. 2018; 75: 65-71
- MOG spectrum disorders and role of MOG-antibodies in clinical practice.Neuropediatrics. 2018; 49: 3-11
- Clinical features and long-term outcome of a group of Japanese children with inflammatory central nervous system disorders and seropositivity to myelin-oligodendrocyte glycoprotein antibodies.Brain Dev. 2015; 37: 849-852
- MOG encephalomyelitis: international recommendations on diagnosis and antibody testing.J. Neuroinflamm. 2018; 15: 134
- Elevated levels of antibody to myelin oligodendrocyte glycoprotein is not specific for patients with multiple sclerosis.Arch. Neurol. 1999; 56: 311-315
- Neuromyelitis optica spectrum disorders with aquaporin-4 and myelin-oligodendrocyte glycoprotein antibodies: a comparative study.JAMA Neurol. 2014; 71: 276-283
- Retrospective analysis of children with myelin oligodendrocyte glycoprotein antibody-related disorders.Mult. Scler. Relat. Disord. 2018; 26: 1-7
- A systematic review of the incidence and prevalence of sleep disorders and seizure disorders in multiple sclerosis.Mult. Scler. 2015; 21: 342-349
- Preferred reporting items for systematic reviews and meta-analyses: the PRISMA statement.BMJ. 2009; 339 (b2535)
- MOG antibody-positive, benign, unilateral, cerebral cortical encephalitis with epilepsy.Neurol. Neuroimmunol. Neuroinflamm. 2017; 4: e322
- Clinical course, therapeutic responses and outcomes in relapsing MOG antibody-associated demyelination.J. Neurol. Neurosurg. Psychiatry. 2018; 89: 127-137
- Isolated seizures during the first episode of relapsing myelin oligodendrocyte glycoprotein antibody-associated demyelination in children.Dev. Med. Child Neurol. 2019; 61: 610-614
- NMDA receptor antibodies: a rare association in inflammatory demyelinating diseases.Neurol. Neuroimmunol. Neuroinflamm. 2015; 2: e141
- Myelin oligodendrocyte glycoprotein antibodies in neurological disease.Nat. Rev. Neurol. 2019; 15: 89-102
- Early predictors of epilepsy and subsequent relapse in children with acute disseminated encephalomyelitis.Mult. Scler. [Epub ahead of print]. 2019;
- MOG antibody-associated encephalomyelitis/encephalitis.Mult. Scler. 2019; 25: 1427-1433
- Overlapping demyelinating syndromes and anti-N-methyl-d-aspartate receptor encephalitis.Ann. Neurol. 2014; 75: 411-428
- Encephalitis is an important clinical component of myelin oligodendrocyte glycoprotein antibody associated demyelination: a single-center cohort study in Shanghai.China. Eur. J. Neurol. 2019; 26: 168-174
- Paediatric acute disseminated encephalomyelitis followed by optic neuritis: disease course, treatment response and outcome.Eur. J. Neurol. 2018; 25: 782-786
- Acute epileptic seizures in myelin oligodendrocyte glycoprotein encephalomyelitis and neuromyelitis optica spectrum disorder: a comparative cohort study.Mult. Scler. Relat. Disord. 2019; 27: 281-288
- Seizure and myelin oligodendrocyte glycoprotein antibody-associated encephalomyelitis in a retrospective cohort of Chinese patients.Front. Neurol. 2019; 10: 415
- MOG-antibody associated demyelinating disease of the CNS: a clinical and pathological study in Chinese Han patients.J. Neuroimmunol. 2017; 305: 19-28
Published online: March 14, 2020
Accepted: March 13, 2020
Received in revised form: February 25, 2020
Received: November 30, 2019
© 2020 Elsevier B.V. All rights reserved.