- •MS patients have higher incidence of any infection than non-MS patients.
- •Rate of hospitalized infection is >2 times higher.
- •Rate of urinary tract infection is 2 times higher with a stronger effect in males.
Purchase one-time access:Academic & Personal: 24 hour online accessCorporate R&D Professionals: 24 hour online access
One-time access price info
- For academic or personal research use, select 'Academic and Personal'
- For corporate R&D use, select 'Corporate R&D Professionals'
Subscribe:Subscribe to Multiple Sclerosis and Related Disorders
- Recent use of oral contraceptives and the risk of multiple sclerosis.Arch. Neurol. 2005; 62: 1362
- Antibiotic use and risk of multiple sclerosis.Am. J. Epidemiol. 2006; 163: 997-1002
- Allergy, histamine 1 receptor blockers, and the risk of multiple sclerosis.Neurology. 2006; 66: 572-575
- Incidence of multiple sclerosis in the United Kingdom.J. Neurol. 2007; 254: 1736-1741
- Mortality and comorbidities in patients with multiple sclerosis compared with a population without multiple sclerosis: an observational study using the US Department of Defense administrative claims database.Mult. Scler. Relat. Disord. 2015; 4: 546-554
- Efficacy and safety of the newer multiple sclerosis drugs approved since 2010.CNS Drugs. 2018; 32: 269-287
- Infections in patients receiving multiple sclerosis disease-modifying therapies.Curr. Neurol. Neurosci. Rep. 2017; 17: 88https://doi.org/10.1007/s11910-017-0800-8
- Epidemiology and diagnosis of multiple sclerosis.Br. J. Hosp. Med. (Lond.). 2011; 72: M146-M151
- Recombinant hepatitis B vaccine and the risk of multiple sclerosis: a prospective study.Neurology. 2004; 63: 838-842
- Cigarette smoking and the progression of multiple sclerosis.Brain. 2005; 128: 1461-1465
- Data resource profile: Clinical Practice Research Datalink (CPRD).Int. J. Epidemiol. 2015; 44: 827-836
- Mortality of patients with multiple sclerosis: a cohort study in UK primary care.J. Neurol. 2014; 261: 1508-1517
- Epidemiology of multiple sclerosis: results from a large observational study in the UK.J. Neurol. 2015; 262: 2033-2041
- Pathogenesis of progressive multifocal leukoencephalopathy and risks associated with treatments for multiple sclerosis: a decade of lessons learned.Lancet Neurol. 2018; 17: 467-480
- Mortality in multiple sclerosis: meta-analysis of standardised mortality ratios.J. Neurol. Neurosurg. Psychiatry. 2016; 87: 324-331
- Intensive care unit admission in multiple sclerosis: increased incidence and increased mortality.Neurol. 2014; 82: 2112-2119https://doi.org/10.1212/WNL.0000000000000495
- Hospital admission due to infections in multiple sclerosis patients.Eur. J. Neurol. 2013; 20: 1153-1160
- Common comorbidities and survival in MS: risk for stroke, type 1 diabetes and infections.Mult. Scler. Relat. Disord. 2018; 19: 109-114
- Multiple sclerosis and risk of infection-related hospitalization and death in US veterans.Int. J. MS Care. 2015; 17: 221-230
- Multiple sclerosis.N Engl. J. Med. 2000; 343: 938-952
- Systematic review of the published data on the worldwide prevalence of John Cunningham virus in patients with multiple sclerosis and neuromyelitis optica.Epidemiol. Health. 2018; 40e2018001
- Multi-database study of multiple sclerosis: identification, validation and description of MS patients in two countries.J. Neurol. 2019; 266: 1095-1106https://doi.org/10.1007/s00415-019-09238-8
- Urinary tract infections in multiple sclerosis.Mult. Scler. 2016; 22: 855-861
- The epidemiology of multiple sclerosis in Europe.Eur. J. Neurol. 2006; 13: 700-722
- Does upper respiratory infection exacerbate symptoms of multiple sclerosis.Future Microbiol. 2018; 13: 503-505
- Excess mortality and cause of death in a cohort of Norwegian multiple sclerosis patients.Mult. Scler. 2009; 15: 1263-1270
- Infection as an environmental trigger of multiple sclerosis disease exacerbation.Front. Immunol. 2015; 6https://doi.org/10.3389/fimmu.2015.00520
- Infection-related health care utilization among people with and without multiple sclerosis.Mult. Scler. 2017; 23: 1506-1516
- Multiple sclerosis treatment and infectious issues: update 2013.Clin. Exp. Immunol. 2014; 175: 425-438