Aquaporin-4-IgG positive (AQP4-IgG+) Neuromyelitis Optica Spectrum Disorder (NMOSD) is an uncommon central nervous system autoimmune disorder. Disease outcomes in AQP4-IgG+NMOSD are typically measured by relapse rate and disability. Using the MSBase, a multi-centre international registry, we aimed to examine the impact immunosuppressive therapies and patient characteristics as predictors of disease outcome measures in AQP4-IgG+NMOSD.
This MSBase cohort study of AQP4-IgG+NMOSD patients examined modifiers of relapse in a multivariable proportional hazards model and expanded disability status score (EDSS) using a mixed effects model.
206 AQP4-IgG+ patients were included (median follow-up 3.7 years). Age (hazard ratio [HR] = 0.82 per decade, p = 0.001), brainstem onset (HR = 0.45, p = 0.009), azathioprine (HR = 0.46, p<0.001) and mycophenolate mofetil (HR = 0.09, p = 0.012) were associated with a reduced risk of relapse. A greater EDSS was associated with age (β = 0.45 (per decade), p<0.001) and disease duration (β = 0.07 per year, p<0.001). A slower increase in EDSS was associated with azathioprine (β = -0.48, p<0.001), mycophenolate mofetil (β = -0.69, p = 0.04) and rituximab (β = -0.35, p = 0.024).
This study has demonstrated that azathioprine and mycophenolate mofetil reduce the risk of relapses and disability progression is modified by azathioprine, mycophenolate mofetil and rituximab. Age and disease duration were the only patient characteristics that modified the risk of relapse and disability in our cohort.
To read this article in full you will need to make a payment
Purchase one-time access:Academic & Personal: 24 hour online accessCorporate R&D Professionals: 24 hour online access
One-time access price info
- For academic or personal research use, select 'Academic and Personal'
- For corporate R&D use, select 'Corporate R&D Professionals'
Subscribe:Subscribe to Multiple Sclerosis and Related Disorders
Already a print subscriber? Claim online access
Already an online subscriber? Sign in
Register: Create an account
Institutional Access: Sign in to ScienceDirect
- Lack of response to pulse cyclophosphamide in neuromyelitis optica: evaluation of 7 patients.Arch. Neurol. 2012; 69: 938-939
- Incidence and prevalence of NMOSD in Australia and New Zealand.J. Neurol. Neurosurg. Psychiatry. 2017; 88: 632-638
- MSBase: an international, online registry and platform for collaborative outcomes research in multiple sclerosis.Mult. Scler. 2006; 12: 769-774
- Azathioprine: tolerability, efficacy, and predictors of benefit in neuromyelitis optica.Neurology. 2011; 77: 659-666
- Placebo-controlled study in neuromyelitis optica-Ethical and design considerations.Mult. Scler. 2016; 22: 862-872
- Efficacy and safety of rituximab therapy in neuromyelitis optica spectrum disorders: a systematic review and meta-analysis.JAMA Neurol. 2016; 73: 1342-1348
- Neurostatus e-Scoring improves consistency of expanded disability status scale assessments: a proof of concept study.Mult. Scler. 2017; 23: 597-603
- Long-term efficacy, tolerability and retention rate of azathioprine in 103 aquaporin-4 antibody-positive neuromyelitis optica spectrum disorder patients: a multicentre retrospective observational study from the UK.Mult. Scler. 2014; 20: 1533-1540
- Epidemiology of aquaporin-4 autoimmunity and neuromyelitis optica spectrum.Ann. Neurol. 2016;
- Neuromyelitis optica and pregnancy.J. Neurol. 2013; 260: 2614-2619
- Aquaporin-4 antibodies in patients treated with natalizumab for suspected MS.Neurol. Neuroimmunol. Neuroinflamm. 2017; 4: e363
- Autologous hematopoietic stem cell transplantation in neuromyelitis optica: a registry study of the EBMT autoimmune diseases working party.Mult. Scler. 2015; 21: 189-197
- Prevalence of neuromyelitis optica spectrum disorder in the multi-ethnic Penang Island, Malaysia, and a review of worldwide prevalence.Mult. Scler. Relat. Disord. 2018; 19: 20-24
- Mycophenolate mofetil in the treatment of neuromyelitis optica spectrum disorder.JAMA Neurol. 2014; 71: 1372-1378
- Data quality evaluation for observational multiple sclerosis registries.Mult. Scler. 2017; 23: 647-655
- Does interferon beta treatment exacerbate neuromyelitis optica spectrum disorder.Mult. Scler. 2012; 18: 1480-1483
- Racial differences in neuromyelitis optica spectrum disorder.Neurology. 2018; 91 (e2089-e2099)
- Influence of pregnancy on neuromyelitis optica spectrum disorder.Neurology. 2012; 78: 1264
- Methotrexate is an alternative to azathioprine in neuromyelitis optica spectrum disorders with aquaporin-4 antibodies.J Neurol Neurosurg Psychiatry. 2013; 84: 918-921
- Prognostic factors and disease course in aquaporin-4 antibody-positive patients with neuromyelitis optica spectrum disorder from the United Kingdom and Japan.Brain. 2012; 135: 1834-1849
- Mortality in neuromyelitis optica is strongly associated with African ancestry.Neurol. Neuroimmunol. Neuroinflam. 2018; 5: e468
- Epidemiology of neuromyelitis optica in the united states: a multicenter analysis.Arch. Neurol. 2012; 69: 1176-1180
- Effectiveness of mycophenolate mofetil as first-line therapy in AQP4-IgG, MOG-IgG, and seronegative neuromyelitis optica spectrum disorders.Mult. Scler. 2017; 23: 1377-1384
- Outcome prediction models in Aqp4-IgG positive neuromyelitis optica spectrum disorders.Brain. 2019; 5: 1310-1323
- Eculizumab in aquaporin-4-positive neuromyelitis optica spectrum disorder.N. Engl. J. Med. 2019; (May 3)
- Azathioprine plus corticosteroid treatment in Chinese patients with neuromyelitis optica.J. Clin. Neurosci. 2015; 22: 1178-1182
- The 158VV Fcgamma receptor 3 A genotype is associated with response to rituximab in rheumatoid arthritis: results of an Italian multicentre study.Ann. Rheum. Dis. 2014 Apr; 73: 716-721
- Long-term therapy with interleukin 6 receptor blockade in highly active neuromyelitis optica spectrum disorder.JAMA Neurol. 2015; 72: 756-763
- et al. problems of experimental trials of therapy in multiple sclerosis: report by the panel on the evaluation of experimental trials of therapy in multiple sclerosis.Ann. N. Y. Acad. Sci. 1965; 122: 552-568
- Immunotherapies in neuromyelitis optica spectrum disorder: efficacy and predictors of response.J. Neurol. Neurosurg. Psychiatry. 2017; 88: 639-647
- International consensus diagnostic criteria for neuromyelitis optica spectrum disorders.Neurology. 2015; 85: 177
- The spectrum of neuromyelitis optica.Lancet Neurol. 2007; 6: 805-815
- A secondary progressive clinical course is uncommon in neuromyelitis optica.Neurology. 2007; 68: 603-605
- Neuromyelitis optica: clinical predictors of a relapsing course and survival.Neurology. 2003; 60: 848-853
- Effectiveness of low dose of rituximab compared with azathioprine in Chinese patients with neuromyelitis optica: an over 2-year follow-up study.Acta Neurol. Belg. 2017; 117: 695-702
Published online: November 25, 2019
Accepted: November 23, 2019
Received in revised form: November 22, 2019
Received: October 3, 2019
© 2019 Elsevier B.V. All rights reserved.