- •Susac's syndrome can manifest without the full triad.
- •Symptoms may be separated in time, even by years.
- •It can be a chronic, progressive disorder, leading to significant disability.
- •Treatment may require aggressive immune therapy for disease control.
Susac's syndrome (SuS) is a rare disorder with a clinical triad of encephalopathy, sensorineural hearing loss, and branch retinal artery occlusions. We report a 7-year-old girl who presented with chronic, progressive sensorineural hearing loss, who, years later, presented with encephalopathy and vision loss. Such prolonged period between symptoms is unusual and to our knowledge, this is the longest interval between onset of hearing loss and completion of the full triad in SuS. In addition, she had a protracted disease course, requiring multiple immune therapies for disease control.
To read this article in full you will need to make a payment
Purchase one-time access:Academic & Personal: 24 hour online accessCorporate R&D Professionals: 24 hour online access
One-time access price info
- For academic or personal research use, select 'Academic and Personal'
- For corporate R&D use, select 'Corporate R&D Professionals'
Subscribe:Subscribe to Multiple Sclerosis and Related Disorders
Already a print subscriber? Claim online access
Already an online subscriber? Sign in
Register: Create an account
Institutional Access: Sign in to ScienceDirect
- Susac syndrome misdiagnosed as multiple sclerosis with exacerbation by interferon beta therapy.Neuroradiol. J. 2018; 31: 207-212https://doi.org/10.1177/1971400917712265
- Distinguishing Susac's syndrome from multiple sclerosis.J. Neurol. 2015; 262: 1613-1621https://doi.org/10.1007/s00415-014-7628-9
- Characteristics of Susac syndrome: a review of all reported cases.Nat. Rev. Neurol. 2013; 9: 307-316https://doi.org/10.1038/nrneurol.2013.82
- Clinical, paraclinical and serological findings in Susac syndrome: an international multicenter study.J. Neuroinflammation. 2014; 11: 46https://doi.org/10.1186/1742-2094-11-46
- Diagnostic criteria for Susac syndrome.J. Neurol. Neurosurg. Psychiatry. 2016; 87: 1287-1295https://doi.org/10.1136/jnnp-2016-314295
- Susac syndrome: clinical characteristics and treatment in 29 new cases.Eur. J. Neurol. 2012; 19: 800-811https://doi.org/10.1111/j.1468-1331.2011.03627.x
- Treatment of Susac's syndrome.J. Neurol. Sci. 2007; 257: 215-220https://doi.org/10.1016/j.jns.2007.01.031
- Short follow-up bias confounds estimates of the “Typical” clinical course of Susac syndrome.J. Neuro-Ophthalmol. Off. J. North. Am. Neuro-Ophthalmol. Soc. 2017; 37: 149-153https://doi.org/10.1097/WNO.0000000000000472
Published online: October 07, 2019
Accepted: October 5, 2019
Received: July 16, 2019
© 2019 Elsevier B.V. All rights reserved.