- •Cortical impairment with leptomeningeal enhancement can be considered an imaging performance component of NMOSD.
- •The cortex adjacent to the cerebral falx was the most susceptible areas.
- •Aquaporin-4 antibody (AQP4) may be involved in the process of cortical and leptomeningeal damage.
Abbreviations:NMOSD (neuromyelitis optica spectrum disorder), MRI (magnetic resonance imaging), AQP4 (aquaporin-4 antibody), NMO (neuromyelitis optica), AQP4-IgG (aquaporin 4 immunoglobulin G), MOG-Ab (myelin-oligodendrocyte glycoprotein antibody), ANA (anti-nuclear antibodies), SSA (anti-Sjögren's-syndrome-related antigen A antibodies), RF (rheumatoid factor), TPO-Ab (anti-thyroid peroxidase autoantibodies), TG-Ab (anti-thyroglobulin autoantibodies), OS (oculus sinister), LETM (longitudinally extensive transverse myelitis), ref (references. N.P, number of patients), F/M (Female/Male), APS (area postrema syndrome), EP (epilepsy), LETM (longitudinally extensive transverse myelitis), ON (optic neuritis), NA (not applicable), PLEX (plasma exchange)
Purchase one-time access:Academic & Personal: 24 hour online accessCorporate R&D Professionals: 24 hour online access
One-time access price info
- For academic or personal research use, select 'Academic and Personal'
- For corporate R&D use, select 'Corporate R&D Professionals'
Subscribe:Subscribe to Multiple Sclerosis and Related Disorders
- Sjögren's syndrome and Neuromyelitis Optica spectrum disorders (NMOSD) – a case report and review of literature.BMC Neurol. 2014; 14: 200
- No MRI evidence of cortical lesions in neuromyelitis optica.Neurology. 2012; 79: 1671-1676
- MOG-IgG-associated optic neuritis, encephalitis, and myelitis: lessons learned from neuromyelitis optica spectrum disorder.Front. Neurol. 2018; 9: 217
- Pathogenic implications of cerebrospinal fluid barrier pathology in neuromyelitis optica.Acta Neuropathol. 2017; 133: 597-612
- Clumsy hand syndrome due to a localised cortical lesion in the primary sensory cortex in neuromyelitis optica.J. Neurol. Neurosurg. Psychiatry. 2011; 82: 559-560
- Brain abnormalities in neuromyelitis optica.J. Neurol. Sci. 2011; 302: 43-48
- Cerebral cortex involvement in neuromyelitis optica spectrum disorder.J. Clin. Neurol. 2016; 12: 188-193
- Cortical blindness and not optic neuritis as a cause of vision loss in a Sjogren's syndrome (SS) patient with the neuromyelitis optica spectrum disorder (NMOSD): challenges of ascribing demyelinating syndromes to SS: a case report.Medicine (Baltimore). 2017; 96: e7454
- The pathology of an autoimmune astrocytopathy: lessons learned from neuromyelitis optica.Brain Pathol. 2014; 24: 83-97
- MOG-IgG in neuromyelitis optica.J. Neurol. 2014; 261: 640-642
- Oligoclonal IgG bands in Japanese patients with multiple sclerosis. A comparative study between isoelectric focusing with IgG immunofixation and high-resolution agarose gel electrophoresis.J. Neuroimmunol. 2005; 159: 133-136
- What do we know about brain contrast enhancement patterns in neuromyelitis optica.Clin. Imaging. 2016; 40: 573-580
- Neuromyelitis optica and non organ-specific autoimmunity.Arch. Neurol. 2008; 65: 78-83
- Absence of cortical demyelination in neuromyelitis optica.Neurology. 2010; 75: 2103-2109
- Cognitive impairment and cortical degeneration in neuromyelitis optica.Ann. Neurol. 2013; 73: 65-76
- Gender differences among Chinese patients with neuromyelitis optica spectrum disorders.Mult. Scler. Relat. Disord. 2017; 17: 5-8
- Teaching NeuroImages: cortical damage with leptomeningeal enhancement in neuromyelitis optica spectrum disorder.Neurology. 2018; 91: e1087-e1088
- Cortical and leptomeningeal involvement in three cases of neuromyelitis optica.Eur. J. Neurol. 2012; 19: e47-e48
- International consensus diagnostic criteria for neuromyelitis optica spectrum disorders.Neurology. 2015; 85: 177-189
- The spectrum of neuromyelitis optica.Lancet Neurol. 2007; 6: 805-815
- Combined screening for serum anti-nuclear and anti-aquaporin-4 antibodies improves diagnostic accuracy for distinguishing neuromyelitis optica from multiple sclerosis.Eur. Neurol. 2014; 72: 103-108
- Comparisons of presentations and outcomes of neuromyelitis optica patients with and without Sjogren's syndrome.Neurol. Sci. 2017; 38: 271-277