- •This was the first reported mortality due to listeria associated with alemtuzumab therapy in the setting of Multiple Sclerosis.
- •The rapid and fulminant presentation had symptoms which commonly occur following routine administration of alemtuzumab.
- •The Acute Phase post administration appears to confer particular vulnerability to this pathogen therefore high vigilance for this complication is mandatory.
Purchase one-time access:Academic & Personal: 24 hour online accessCorporate R&D Professionals: 24 hour online access
One-time access price info
- For academic or personal research use, select 'Academic and Personal'
- For corporate R&D use, select 'Corporate R&D Professionals'
Subscribe:Subscribe to Multiple Sclerosis and Related Disorders
Group AoBNMA. Guidance on the prevention of Listeria infection after alemtuzumab treatment of multiple sclerosis. 2017.
- Community-acquired Listeria monocytogenes meningitis in adults.Clin. Infect. Dis. 2006; 43: 1233-1238
- Alemtuzumab vs. interferon beta-1a in early multiple sclerosis.N. Engl. J. Med. 2008; 359: 1786-1801
- Listeria rhombencephalitis mimicking a demyelinating event in an immunocompetent young patient.Multiple Sclerosis. 23. Houndmills, Basingstoke, England2017: 123-125
- Targeting of the central nervous system by Listeria monocytogenes.Virulence. 2012; 3: 213-221
- Listeria monocytogenes infection associated with alemtuzumab—a case for better preventive strategies.BMC Neurol. 2017; 17: 65
- National Institute for Health and Care Excellence: Clinical Guidelines.Multiple Sclerosis: Management of Multiple Sclerosis in Primary and Secondary Care. National Institute for Health and Care Excellence, London2014 (UK). Copyright (c) National Clinical Guideline Centre, 2014
- Alemtuzumab related Listeria infections—a growing concern?.in: 31st Congress of the European Commitee for Treatment and Research in Multiple Sclerosis (ECTRIMS). Barcelona, Spain2015 October 7-10 2015
- Alemtuzumab related Listeria infections—a growing concern?.Mult. Scler. J. 2015; 23: 582-583
- Strategies in the management of alemtuzumab-related side effects.Semin. Oncol. 2006; 33: S29-S35
- Prolonged persistence of Listeria monocytogenes after intragastric infection in corticosteroid-treated mice.Vet. Microbiol. 1997; 58: 79-85
- Listeria meningitis complicating alemtuzumab treatment in multiple sclerosis–report of two cases.Int. J. Mol. Sci. 2015; 16: 14669-14676
- Acute effects of alemtuzumab infusion in patients with active relapsing-remitting MS.Neurol. (R) Neuroimmunol. Neuroinflammation. 2016; 3: e228
☆Declaration of interests—no authors have any conflict of interest in relation to this work. Dr. Canham, Dr. Inglis and Dr. Cottrell have received educational support from Biogen Idec, Novartis Pharmaceuticals, TEVA, Sanofi-Genzyme and Roche.
✯✯This work was not funded.