- •Physiotherapeutic interventions in multiple sclerosis patients differ across Europe.
- •Center characteristics play a role in number and composition of interventions offered.
- •An updated categorization of physiotherapeutic interventions is proposed.
Abbreviations:MS (Multiple Sclerosis), PT (Physical Therapy), PTs (Physical Therapists), ICF (International Classification of Functioning, Disability and Health), RIMS (European network for best practice and research in MS Rehabilitation)
Purchase one-time access:Academic & Personal: 24 hour online accessCorporate R&D Professionals: 24 hour online access
One-time access price info
- For academic or personal research use, select 'Academic and Personal'
- For corporate R&D use, select 'Corporate R&D Professionals'
Subscribe:Subscribe to Multiple Sclerosis and Related Disorders
- Fatigue, mood and quality of life improve in MS patients after progressive resistance training.Mult. Scler. (Houndmills, Basingstoke, Engl.). 2010; 16: 480-490
- The Armeo Spring as training tool to improve upper limb functionality in multiple sclerosis: a pilot study.J. Neuroeng. Rehabil. 2011; 8: 5
- Pilates based core stability training in ambulant individuals with multiple sclerosis: protocol for a multi-centre randomised controlled trial.BMC Neurol. 2012; 12: 19
- Robot training of upper limb in multiple sclerosis: comparing protocols with or without manipulative task components.IEEE Trans. Neural Syst. Rehabil. Eng.: a Publ. IEEE Eng. Med. Biol. Soc. 2012; 20: 351-360
- Effects of exercise training on fitness, mobility, fatigue, and health-related quality of life among adults with multiple sclerosis: a systematic review to inform guideline development.Arch. Phys. Med. Rehabil. 2013; 94 (e3): 1800-1828
- Responsiveness and clinically meaningful improvement, according to disability level, of five walking measures after rehabilitation in multiple sclerosis: a European multicenter study.Neurorehabilitation Neural Repair. 2014; 28: 621-631
- Neuromuscular adaptations to long-term progressive resistance training translates to improved functional capacity for people with multiple sclerosis and is maintained at follow-up.Mult. Scler. (Houndmills, Basingstoke, Engl.). 2015; 21: 599-611
- Multimodal exercise training in multiple sclerosis: a randomized controlled trial in persons with substantial mobility disability.Contemp. Clin. Trials. 2017; 61: 39-47
- Does aerobic training alleviate fatigue and improve societal participation in patients with multiple sclerosis? A randomized controlled trial.Mult. Scler. (Houndmills, Basingstoke, Engl.). 2017; 23: 1517-1526
- Exercise in patients with multiple sclerosis.Lancet Neurol. 2017; 16: 848-856
- Use of the International Classification of Functioning, Disability and Health (ICF) to identify preliminary comprehensive and brief core sets for multiple sclerosis.Disabil. Rehabil. 2007; 29: 205-213
- Developing the ICF Core Sets for multiple sclerosis to specify functioning.Mult. Scler. (Houndmills, Basingstoke, Engl.). 2008; 14: 252-254
- Emerging evidence-based physical rehabilitation for multiple sclerosis–towards an inventory of current content across Europe.Health Qual. Life Outcomes. 2010; 8: 76
- The organisation of physiotherapy for people with multiple sclerosis across Europe: a multicentre questionnaire survey.BMC Health Serv. Res. 2016; 16: 552
- Physical therapy in multiple sclerosis differs across Europe: information regarding an ongoing study.J. Int Med Res. 2014; 42: 1185
- WMH. Motor Control: Translating Research into Clinical Practice.Lippincott Williams& Wilkins, London2006
Department UNS. Composition of macro geographical (continental) regions, geographical sub-regions, and selected economic and other groupings 〈http://unstats.un.org/unsd/methods/m49/m49regin.htm〉.
- Hierarchical grouping to optimize an objective function.J. Am. Stat. Assoc. 1963; 58: 236-244
- Multivariate Analysis.Academic Press, London-New York-Toronto-Sydney-San Francisco1979
- Modern Applied Statistics with S.Springer, New York2002
- A simplified Monte Carlo significance test procedure.J. R. Stat. Soc. Ser. B (Methodol.). 1968; 30: 582-598
- Controlling the false discovery rate: a practical and powerful approach to multiple testing.J. R. Stat. Soc. Ser. B Stat. Methodol. 1995; 57: 289-300
- Categorical Data Analysis. 3rd ed. Wiley, New Jersey2013
- R: a language and environment for statistical computing.R Foundation for Statistical Computing, Vienna, Austria2017
- Unpacking the black box of therapy -- a pilot study to describe occupational therapy and physiotherapy interventions for people with stroke.Clin. Rehabil. 1999; 13: 301-309
- Opening the black box of post-stroke rehabilitation: stroke rehabilitation patients, processes, and outcomes.Arch. Phys. Med. Rehabil. 2005; 86: S1-s7
- Evidence-based cognitive rehabilitation after acquired brain injury: a systematic review of content of treatment.Neuropsychol. Rehabil. 2012; 22: 653-673
- Multidisciplinary rehabilitation for adults with multiple sclerosis.Cochrane Database Syst. Rev. 2007; : Cd006036
- Training in MS: influence of two different endurance training protocols (aquatic versus overland) on cytokine and neurotrophin concentrations during three week randomized controlled trial.Mult. Scler. 2013; 19: 613-621
- Is long-term exercise intervention effective to improve cardiac autonomic control during exercise in subjects with multiple sclerosis? A randomized controlled trial.Eur. J. Phys. Rehabil. Med. 2015; 51: 223-231
- Reliability and responsiveness of cardiopulmonary exercise testing in fatigued persons with multiple sclerosis and low to mild disability.PloS One. 2015; 10: e0122260
- Prevalence of walking-related motor fatigue in persons with multiple sclerosis: decline in walking distance induced by the 6-minute walk test.Neurorehabilitation Neural Repair. 2015;
- Does hippotherapy improve balance in persons with multiple sclerosis: a systematic review.Eur. J. Phys. Rehabil. Med. 2010; 46: 347-353
- Robot-assisted gait training in multiple sclerosis patients: a randomized trial.Mult. Scler. (Houndmills, Basingstoke, Engl.). 2012; 18: 881-890
- Potential of robot-assisted therapy for disabled persons with MS.Mult. Scler. (Houndmills, Basingstoke, Engl.). 2016; 22: 264-265
- Meta-analysis of three different types of fatigue management interventions for people with multiple sclerosis: exercise, education, and medication.Mult. Scler. Int. 2014; : 798285
☆Core group of Special interest group in mobility, Rehabilitation in Multiple Sclerosis, the European network for best practice and research in MS Rehabilitation (www.eurims.org).