- •MOG-IgG disorders are a clinical spectrum that could involve brainstem.
- •Rhombencephalitis (with transverse myelitis) could be caused by MOG-IgG.
- •Patients with MOG-IgG disorder could recover massively from severe attacks.
Myelin oligodendrocyte glycoprotein antibodies (MOG-IgG) associated disorders present with a spectrum of clinical pictures including brainstem involvement.
A patient with the sudden onset of a post-partum severe rhombencephalitis causing respiratory failure (12 years after a mild transverse myelitis). Despite the aggressive clinical course, she had an impressive recovery after plasmapheresis, and no further relapses on immunosuppression.
MOG-IgG disorders could relapse several years after onset and involve brainstem. Good prognosis is possible after treatment.
Abbreviation:MOG-IgG (myelin oligodendrocyte glycoprotein antibodies), NMOSD (neuromyelitis optica spectrum disorders), AQP4 (aquaporin-4), LETM (longitudinal extensive transverse myelitis), MRI (magnetic resonance imaging), CE (gadolinium enhancement), CSF (cerebrospinal fluid), ADEM (acute demyelinating encephalomyelitis), FLAIR (Fluid Attenuated Inversion Recovery)
To read this article in full you will need to make a payment
Purchase one-time access:Academic & Personal: 24 hour online accessCorporate R&D Professionals: 24 hour online access
One-time access price info
- For academic or personal research use, select 'Academic and Personal'
- For corporate R&D use, select 'Corporate R&D Professionals'
Subscribe:Subscribe to Multiple Sclerosis and Related Disorders
Already a print subscriber? Claim online access
Already an online subscriber? Sign in
Register: Create an account
Institutional Access: Sign in to ScienceDirect
- MOG-IgG in NMO and related disorders: a multicenter study of 50 patients.J. Neuroinflamm. 2016; 1: 13-281
- Clinical presentation and prognosis in MOG-antibody disease: a UK study.Brain. 2017; 1: 3128-3138
- Brainstem manifestations in neuromyelitis optica: a multicenter study of 258 patients.Mult. Scler. 2014; 20: 843-847
- The spectrum of MOG autoantibody-associated demyelinating diseases.Nat. Rev. Neurol. 2013; 9: 455-461
- Ann. Clin. Transl. Neurol. 2015; 2: 295-301
Published online: February 08, 2018
Accepted: February 5, 2018
Received in revised form: January 30, 2018
Received: December 5, 2017
© 2018 Elsevier B.V. All rights reserved.