- •We investigated visual tests and disability scales in detecting optic neuritis (ON).
- •Low-contrast visual acuity (LCVA) tests were significantly related to OCT, VEP.
- •LCVA tests were found to be associated with EDSS, MSFC and NEI-VFQ25.
- •LCVA tests added to follow-up visits to suggest subtle visual impairments in MS.
To read this article in full you will need to make a payment
Purchase one-time access:Academic & Personal: 24 hour online accessCorporate R&D Professionals: 24 hour online access
One-time access price info
- For academic or personal research use, select 'Academic and Personal'
- For corporate R&D use, select 'Corporate R&D Professionals'
Subscribe:Subscribe to Multiple Sclerosis and Related Disorders
Already a print subscriber? Claim online access
Already an online subscriber? Sign in
Register: Create an account
Institutional Access: Sign in to ScienceDirect
- Contrast letter acuity as a visual component for the multiple sclerosis functional composite.Neurology. 2003; 61: 1367-1373
- Vision and vision-related outcome measures in multiple sclerosis.Brain. 2015; 138: 11-27
- Early diagnosis, monitoring, and treatment of optic neuritis.Neurologist. 2012; 18: 23-31
- Evaluation of retinal nerve fiber layer thickness and visual evoked potentials in optic neuritis associated with multiple sclerosis.Clin. Exp. Optom. 2012; 95: 223-228
- Development of a multiple sclerosis functional composite as a clinical trial outcome measure.Brain. 1999; 122: 101-112
- Clinico-pathological evidence that axonal loss underlies disability in progressive multiple sclerosis.Mult. Scler. 2010; 16: 406-411
- Quantitative pathological evidence for axonal loss in normal appearing white matter in multiple sclerosis.Ann. Neurol. 2000; 47: 391-395
- Relation of visual function to retinal nerve fiber layer thickness in multiple sclerosis.Ophthalmology. 2006; 113: 324-332
- Macular segmentation with optical coherence tomography.Invest Ophthalmol. Vis. Sci. 2005; 46: 2012-2017
- Persistent visual impairment in multiple sclerosis: prevalence, mechanisms and resulting disability.Mult. Scler. 2013; 19: 1618-1626
- Rating neurologic impairment in multiple sclerosis: an expanded disability status scale (EDSS).Neurology. 1983; 33: 1444-1452
- Comparison of multifocal visual evoked potential, standard automated perimetry and optical coherence tomography in assessing visual pathway in multiple sclerosis patients.Mult. Scler. 2010; 16: 412-426
- Change in clinician-assessed measures of multiple sclerosis and subject-reported quality of life: results from the IMPACT study.Mult. Scler. 2006; 12: 180-186
- Vision related quality of life in multiple sclerosis: correlation with new measures of low and high contrast letter acuity.J. Neurol. Neurosurg. Psychiatry. 2009; 80: 767-772
- The multiple sclerosis functional composite: a clinically meaningful measure of disability.Neurology. 2010; 74: 8-15
- Optical coherence tomography and disease subtype in multiple sclerosis.Neurology. 2007; 69: 2085-2092
- Optical coherence tomography as a marker of axonal damage in multiple sclerosis.CML Mult. Scler. 2010; 2: 33-43
- Optical coherence tomography should be part of the routine monitoring of parents with multiple sclerosis: Yes.Mult. Scler. J. 2014; 20: 1296-1298
- Relationships between retinal axonal and neuronal measures and global central nervous system pathology in multiple sclerosis.JAMA Neurol. 2013; 70: 34-43
- Benefits of inpatient multidisciplinary rehabilitation in multiple sclerosis.NeuroRehabilitation. 2013; 33: 285-292
- Relations of low contrast visual acuity, quality of life and multiple sclerosis functional composite: a cross-sectional analysis.BMC Neurol. 2014; 14: 31
- Diagnostic accuracy of retinal abnormalities in predicting disease activity in MS.Neurology. 2007; 68: 1488-1494
- Longitudinal study of vision and retinal nerve fiber layer thickness in multiple sclerosis.Ann. Neurol. 2010; 67: 749-760
- Axonal transection in the lesions of multiple sclerosis.NEJM. 1998; 338: 278-285
- Retinal nerve fiber layer axonal loss and visual dysfunction in optic neuritis.Ann. Neurol. 2005; 58: 383-391
- Low contrast visual acuity testings associated with cognitive performance in multiple sclerosis a cross sectional pilot study.BMC Neurol. 2013; 13: 167
Published online: February 09, 2018
Accepted: January 30, 2018
Received in revised form: January 13, 2018
Received: April 7, 2017
© 2018 Elsevier B.V. All rights reserved.