- •Psychiatric side effects are frequently reported in multiple sclerosis (MS) patients after high-dose corticosteroids (HDC).
- •We explored the HDC effect on mood and factors that influence mood changes in MS.
- •Our results indicated caution in HDC use for MS patients with bipolar symptoms.
- •An accurate screening for mood disorders is useful prior to pulse steroid therapy initiation.
Purchase one-time access:Academic & Personal: 24 hour online accessCorporate R&D Professionals: 24 hour online access
One-time access price info
- For academic or personal research use, select 'Academic and Personal'
- For corporate R&D use, select 'Corporate R&D Professionals'
Subscribe:Subscribe to Multiple Sclerosis and Related Disorders
- Quality of life in multiple sclerosis: the impact of depression, fatigue and disability.Mult. Scler. 2001; 7: 340-344
- Beck Depression Inventory: Manual. 2nd ed. The Psychological Corporation, San Antonio, Tex, USA1996
- Mood and cognitive changes during systemic corticosteroid therapy.Prim. Care Companion J. Clin. Psychiatry. 2001; 3: 17-21
- Multiple sclerosis and bipolar disorders: the burden of comorbidity and its consequences on quality of life.J. Affect. Disord. 2014; 167: 192-197
- The risk of bipolar disorders in multiple sclerosis.J. Affect. Disord. 2014; 155: 255-260
- Psychiatric issues in multiple sclerosis.Psychiatr. Clin. N. Am. 2007; 30: 803-817
- Multiple sclerosis, interferon beta-1b and depression A prospective investigation.J. Neurol. 2002; 249: 815-820
- Multiple sclerosis and depression.Mult. Scler. 2011; 17: 1276-1281
- Psychiatric disorders and depression in multiple sclerosis outpatients: impact of disability and interferon beta therapy.Neurol. Sci. 2005; 26: 255-262
- The Goldman consensus statement on depression in multiple sclerosis.Mult. Scler. 2005; 11: 328-337
- The topograpy of demyelination and neurodegeneration in the multiple sclerosis brain.Brain. 2016; 139: 807-815
- Validation of the Italian version of the "mood disorder questionnaire" for the screening of bipolar disorders.Clin. Pract. Epidemiol. Ment. Health. 2005; 1: 8
- Rating neurologic impairment in multiple sclerosis: an expanded disability status scale (EDSS).Neurology. 1983; 33: 1444-1452
- Steroid-induced psychiatric syndromes. A report of 14 cases and a review of the literature.J. Affect. Disord. 1983; 5: 319-332
- Progressive multiple sclerosis and mood disorders.Neurol. Sci. 2015; 36: 1625-1631
- The burden of multiple sclerosis and patients' coping strategies.BMJ Support Palliat. Care. 2017;
- Defining the clinical course of multiple sclerosis: the 2013 revisions.Neurology. 2014; 83: 278-286
- Depression's multiple comorbidities explained by (neuro)inflammatory and oxidative & nitrosative stress pathways.Neuro Endocrinol. Lett. 2011; 32: 7-24
- Differences in the burden of psychiatric comorbidity in MS vs the general population.Neurology. 2015; 85: 1972-1979
- A systematic review of the incidence and prevalence of comorbidity in multiple sclerosis: overview.Mult. Scler. 2015; 21: 263-281
- Physical comorbidities increase the risk of psychiatric comorbidity in multiple sclerosis.Brain Behav. 2016; 6: e00493
- Depression in the early phase of MS: influence offunctional disability, cognitive impairment and brain abnormalities.Acta Neurol. Scand. 1992; 86: 354-358
- Depression and hypomania symptoms are associated with high dose corticosteroids treatment for MS relapses.J. Affect. Disord. 2015; 187: 142-146
- Psychopathological and neuropsychological effects of 8-days' corticosteroid treatment. A prospective study.Psychoneuroendocrinology. 1996; 21: 25-31
- Adjustment to multiple sclerosis: application of a stress and coping model.Health Psychol. 1999; 18: 383-392
- Neurobiological mechanisms underlying emotional processing in relapsing-remitting multiple sclerosis.Brain. 2009; 132: 3380-3391
- Exogenous corticosteroids and major depression in the general population.J. Psychosom. Res. 2000; 49: 447-449
- Psychiatric side effects of interferon treatment.Curr. Drug Saf. 2006; 1: 143-150
- Depression in multiple sclerosis.Int. Rev. Psychiatry. 2017; 29: 463-472
- Health-related quality of life and depression in an Italian sample of multiple sclerosis patients.J. Neurol. Sci. 2003; 211: 55-62
- Diagnostic criteria for multiple sclerosis: 2010 revisions to the McDonald criteria.Ann. Neurol. 2011; 69: 292-302
- Treating nonspecific anxiety and anxiety disorders in patients with bipolar disorder: a review.J. Clin. Psychiatry. 2011; 72: 81-90
- Neuroinflammation drives anxiety and depression in relapsing-remitting multiple sclerosis.Neurology. 2017; 89: 1338-1347
- The importance of biological oscillators for hypothalamic-pituitary-adrenal activity and tissue glucocorticoid response: coordinating stress and neurobehavioural adaptation.J. Neuroendocrinol. 2015; 27: 378-388
- EFNS guideline on treatment of multiple sclerosis relapses: report of an EFNS task force on treatment of multiple sclerosis relapses.Eur. J. Neurol. 2005; 12: 939-946
- Short-term safety of pulse steroid therapy in multiple sclerosis relapses.Clin. Neuropharmacol. 2013; 36: 1-3
- Natural history of multiple sclerosis: have available therapies impacted long-term prognosis.Neurol. Clin. 2011; 29: 309-321
- Recurrent cases of corticosteroid-induced mood disorder: clinical characteristics and treatment.J. Clin. Psychiatry. 2000; 61: 261-267
- Corticosteroid-induced psychotic and mood disorders: diagnosis defined by DSM-IV and clinical pictures.Psychosomatics. 2001; 42: 461-466
- The association of depression with disease course in multiple sclerosis.Neurology. 2005; 64: 359-360