- •Spasticity affects up to 85% of patients with multiple sclerosis.
- •After adjusting for confounders spasticity was found to be an independent determinant of worse quality of life in multiple sclerosis.
- •There is a strong association between spasticity and fatigue, depression, anxiety, pain and bladder problems.
- •Effective pharmacological and non-pharmacological treatments of spasticity are needed to improve the quality of life of patients with multiple sclerosis.
- (1)To determine the association between spasticity and quality of life (QOL) in multiple sclerosis (MS).
- (2)To investigate the associations between spasticity and impairments of function and activity limitations.
Main outcome measures
Purchase one-time access:Academic & Personal: 24 hour online accessCorporate R&D Professionals: 24 hour online access
One-time access price info
- For academic or personal research use, select 'Academic and Personal'
- For corporate R&D use, select 'Corporate R&D Professionals'
Subscribe:Subscribe to Multiple Sclerosis and Related Disorders
- Quality of life in multiple sclerosis: the impact of depression, fatigue and disability.Mult. Scler. 2001; 7: 340-344
- Retrospective observational study of the management of multiple sclerosis patients with resistant spasticity in Spain: the ‘5E’ study.Expert. Rev. Pharmacoecon. Outcomes Res. 2011; 11: 205-213
- Correlation between spasticity and quality of life in patients with multiple sclerosis: the CANDLE study.Int. J. Neurosci. 2013; 123: 850-858
- Spasticity in multiple sclerosis.Neurorehabil. Neural Repair. 2003; 17: 66-70
- Multiple sclerosis spasticity daily management: retrospective data from Europe.Expert. Rev. Nneurother. 2013; 13: 3-7
- Understanding spasticity from patients' perspectives over time.J. Adv. Nurs. 2012; 68: 2504-2514
- Development and validation of the short form of a urinary quality of life questionnaire: SF-Qualiveen.J. Urol. 2008; 180: 2592-2598
- Conceptual model of health-related quality of life.J. Nurs. scholarsh. Off. Publ. Sigma Theta Tau Int. Honor Soc. Nurs./ Sigma Theta Tau. 2005; 37: 336-342
- Spasticity in patients with multiple sclerosis-clinical characteristics, treatment and quality of life.Acta Neurol. Scand. 2014; 129: 154-162
- Developing a disease-specific quality of life measure for people with multiple sclerosis.Clin. Rehabil. 2001; 15: 247-258
- Development and preliminary validation of a pain measure specific to neuropathic pain: the neuropathic pain scale.Neurology. 1997; 48: 332-338
- Quality of life in patients with multiple sclerosis: the impact of depression, fatigue, and disability.Int. J. Rehabil. Res. Int. Z. Rehabil. Rev. Int. Rech. Readapt. 2011; 34: 290-298
- What drives quality of life in multiple sclerosis?.QJM: Mon. J. Assoc. Phys. 2004; 97: 671-676
- Getting the measure of spasticity in multiple sclerosis: the multiple sclerosis spasticity scale (MSSS-88).Brain: J. Neurol. 2006; 129: 224-234
- Validation of the Hospital Anxiety and Depression Scale for use with multiple sclerosis patients.Mult. Scler. 2009; 15: 1518-1524
- Quality of life in patients with multiple sclerosis: the impact of fatigue and depression.J. Neurol. Sci. 2002; 205: 51-58
- Factors influencing quality of life in multiple sclerosis patients: disability, depressive mood, fatigue and sleep quality.Acta Neurol. Scand. 2004; 110: 6-13
- Development of a patient reported outcome scale for fatigue in multiple sclerosis: the neurological fatigue index (NFI-MS).Health Qual. Life Outcomes. 2010; 8: 22
- The meaning of spasticity to people with multiple sclerosis: what can health professionals learn?.Disabil. Rehabil. 2013; 35: 1284-1292
- The psychosocial impact of spasticityrelated problems for people with multiple sclerosis: a focus group study.J. Health Psychol. 2001; 6: 551-567
Oreja-Guevara, C., Gonzalez, D., Vila, C., de Sola, S. 2011. Multiple sclerosis spasticity in Spain: the 6E patients' survey. In: Proceedings of the 5th Joint triennial congress of the European and Americas Committees for Treatment and Research in Multiple Sclerosis Amsterdam, The Netherlands.
- Clinical effectiveness of oral treatments for spasticity in multiple sclerosis: a systematic review.Mult. Scler. 2002; 8: 319-329
- Prevalence and treatment of spasticity reported by multiple sclerosis patients.Mult. Scler. 2004; 10: 589-595
- Validation and reliability of the Neuropathic Pain Scale (NPS) in multiple sclerosis.Clin. J. Pain. 2007; 23: 473-481
- Olweny CLM. Quality of life studies:these studies: definitions and conceptual issues.in: Spiler B. Quality of Life and Pharmacoeconomics in Clinical Trials. Lippincott-Raven, Philadelphia (PA)1996: 11-23
Shakespeare, D.T., Boggild, M., Young, C., 2003. Anti-spasticity agents for multiple sclerosis. The Cochrane Database of Systematic Reviews (4) Cd001332
- Spasticity in spinal cord injury: self- and clinically rated intrinsic fluctuations and intervention-induced changes.Arch. Phys. Med. Rehabil. 2000; 81: 144-149
- Spasticity after traumatic spinal cord injury: nature, severity, and location.Arch. Phys. Med. Rehabil. 1999; 80: 1548-1557
- Distinguishing between quality of life and health status in quality of life research: a meta-analysis.Qual. Life Res. 1999; 8: 447-459
- Rehabilitation in practice: spasticity management.Clin. Rehabil. 2010; 24: 293-304
- Costs and quality of life in multiple sclerosis patients with spasticity.Acta Neurol. Scand. 2014; 129: 13-20
- Clinical management of spasticity.J. Neurol. Neurosurg. Psychiatry. 2005; 76: 459-463
Üstün, T., 2010. World Health Organization disability assessment schedule II (WHO DAS II): development, psychometric testing and applications. Bulletin of the World Health Organization.
- Sleep disorders in multiple sclerosis and their relationship to fatigue.Sleep Med. 2014; 15: 5-14
- Sleep disorders reduce health-related quality of life in multiple sclerosis (nottingham health profile data in patients with multiple sclerosis).Int. J. Mol. Sci. 2015; 16: 16514-16528
- The World Health Organization Quality of Life assessment (WHOQOL): position paper from the World Health Organization.Soc. Sci. Med. (1982). 1995; 41: 1403-1409
- Quality of life in people with multiple sclerosis: data from the sonya slifka longitudinal multiple sclerosis study.J. Health Hum. Serv. Adm. 2007; 30: 233-267
- The hospital anxiety and depression scale.Acta Psychiatr. Scand. 1983; 67: 361-370