- •This study is community-based, which may reflect patients׳ unmet needs more accurately than a purely hospital-based study.
- •Unmet needs in >50% suggests that non-pharmacological needs are suboptimally addressed for many MS patients.
- •Physiotherapy offers significant benefits in MS, but is the most frequently reported unmet need.
- •Results highlight need for increased fund allocation, especially for development of multidisciplinary community supports.
- •Identifying unmet needs may inform more equitable health service planning, especially for the identified high-risk group.
Purchase one-time access:Academic & Personal: 24 hour online accessCorporate R&D Professionals: 24 hour online access
One-time access price info
- For academic or personal research use, select 'Academic and Personal'
- For corporate R&D use, select 'Corporate R&D Professionals'
Subscribe:Subscribe to Multiple Sclerosis and Related Disorders
- What people with multiple sclerosis perceive to be important to meeting their needs.J Adv Nurs. 2007; 58: 11-22
- Community services in multiple sclerosis: still a matter of chance.J Neurol Neurosurg Psychiatry. 2000; 69: 728-732
- The impact of inpatient rehabilitation on progressive multiple sclerosis.Ann Neurol. 1997; 42: 236-244
- The assessment of need in multiple sclerosis.MS Manag. 2009; 2: 50-54
- The Southampton Needs Assessment Questionnaire (SNAQ): a valid tool for assessing the rehabilitation needs of disabled people.Clin Rehabil. 2000; 14: 641-650
- Rating neurologic impairment in multiple sclerosis: an expanded disability status scale (EDSS).Neurology. 1983; 33: 1444-1452
- Multiple sclerosis prevalence in Ireland: relationship to vitamin D status and HLA genotype.J Neurol Neurosurg Psychiatry. 2011; 82: 317-322
- Defining the clinical course of multiple sclerosis: results of an international survey.National Multiple Sclerosis Society (USA) Advisory Committee on Clinical Trials of New Agents in Multiple Sclerosis Neurology. 1996; 46: 907-911
- A primary care-based needs assessment of people with multiple sclerosis.Br J Gen Pract. 2005; 55: 378-383
- Introduction to rehabilitation.in: Wilson B. McLellan D. Rehabilitation studies handbook. Cambridge University Press, Cambridge1997: 1-19
McLellan DL, Martin R, Roberts MHW., et al. Multiple sclerosis in the Southampton district. Southampton: University of Southampton Research Unit and Department of Sociology, 989. (isbn:0854322318X).
National Institute of Health and Clinical Excellence. Multiple sclerosis: management of multiple sclerosis in primary and secondary care (CG8). London: NICE; 2003.
- Effects of education level and employment status on HRQOL in early relapsing-remitting multiple sclerosis.Mult Scler. 2007; 13: 783-791
- Social consequences of multiple sclerosis. (1): early pension and temporary unemployment- a historical prospective cohort study.Mult Scler. 2010; 16: 121-126
- Diagnostic criteria for multiple sclerosis: 2005 revisions to the McDonald criteria.Ann Neurol. 2005; 58: 840-846
- Service location in multiple sclerosis: home or hospital.in: Fredrikson S. Link H. Advances in multiple sclerosis: clinical research and therapy. Martin Dunitz, London1999: 173-180
- Doctors and patients don׳t agree: cross sectional study of patients׳ and doctors׳ perceptions and assessments of disability in multiple sclerosis.Br Med J. 1997; 314: 1580-1583
- Methodological approaches for assessing response shift in longitudinal health-related quality-of-life research.Soc Sci Med. 1999; 481531–1548: 1548
- Managing chronic disease.Br Med J. 1999; 318: 1090-1091
- The role of affect on the perception of disability in multiple sclerosis.Clin Rehabil. 2000; 14: 50-54
- Physical rehabilitation has a positive effect on disability in multiple sclerosis patients.Neurology. 1999; 52: 57-62
- Introduction.in: Stevens A. Raftery J. Health care needs assessment. The epidemiology based needs assessment reviews. Radcliffe Medical Press, Oxford1994: 11-30
- A health profile of adults with multiple sclerosis living in the community.Mult Scler. 2008; 14: 1099-1105
- Controlled randomised crossover trial of the effects of physiotherapy on mobility in chronic multiple sclerosis.J Neurol Neurosurg Psychiatry. 2001; 70: 174-179
- Evidence of unmet need in the care of severely physically disabled adults.Br Med J. 1993; 306: 95-98