- •Spinal cord atrophy in multiple sclerosis in the upper cervical cord can be measured in a reliable and reproducible manner.
- •Spinal cord has a robust correlation with clinical disability as measured by EDSS in both relapsing and progressive MS.
- •Patients with progressive forms of MS have greater loss of spinal cord volume than relapsing-remitting MS.
- •In multivariate analysis, disease duration and upper cervical cord volume were independent predictors of disability, where as gender and age were not.
Purchase one-time access:Academic & Personal: 24 hour online accessCorporate R&D Professionals: 24 hour online access
One-time access price info
- For academic or personal research use, select 'Academic and Personal'
- For corporate R&D use, select 'Corporate R&D Professionals'
Subscribe:Subscribe to Multiple Sclerosis and Related Disorders
- Neurological disability correlates with spinal cord axonal loss and reduced N-acetyl aspartate in chronic multiple sclerosis patients.Ann Neurol. 2000; 48 ([PubMed: 11117546]): 893-901
- Cervical cord and brain gray matter atrophy independently associate with long-term MS disability.J Neurol Neurosurg Psychiatry. 2011; 82 ([PubMed: 20710012]): 471-472
- The relationship among MRI-defined spinal cord involvement, brain involvement, and disability in multiple sclerosis.J Neuroimaging. 2011; 22 ([PubMed: 21447024]): 122-128
- Pathological study of spinal cord atrophy in multiple sclerosis suggests limited role of local lesions.Brain. 2005; 128 ([PubMed: 15548559]): 29-34
- Magnetic resonance outcome measures in multiple sclerosis trials: time to rethink?.Curr Opin Neurol. 2014; 27 ([PubMed: 247923339]): 290-299
- Gray matter atrophy is related to long-term disability in multiple sclerosis.Ann Neurol. 2008; 64 ([PubMed: 18570297]): 247-254
- Recovery after spinal cord relapse in multiple sclerosis is predicted by radial diffusivity.Mult Scler. 2010; 16 ([PubMed: 20685759]): 1193-1202
- Magnetic resonance imaging measures of brain and spinal cord atrophy correlate with clinical impairment in secondary progressive multiple sclerosis.Mult Scler. 2008; 14 ([PubMed: 18632782]): 1068-1075
- Improved MRI quantification of spinal cord atrophy in multiple sclerosis.J Magn Reson Imaging. 2014; 39 ([PubMed: 23633384]): 617-623
- Spinal cord MRI using multi-array coils and fast spin echo. II Findings in multiple sclerosis.Neurology. 1993; 43 ([PubMed: 8255468]): 2632-2637
- MRI dynamics of brain and spinal cord in progressive multiple sclerosis.J Neurol Neurosurg Psychiatry. 1996; 60 ([PubMed: 8558143]): 15-19
- Applied regression analysis and other multivariable methods. Cengage Learning, 2013
- Spinal cord atrophy and disability in multiple sclerosis: a new reproducible and sensitive MRI method with potential to monitor disease progression.Brain. 1996; 119 ([PubMed: 8673483]): 701-708
- Relevance of spinal cord abnormalities to clinical disability in multiple sclerosis: MR imaging findings in a large cohort of patients.Radiology. 2013; 269 ([PubMed: 23737540]): 542-552
- Brain and spinal cord abnormalities in multiple sclerosis. Correlation between MRI parameters, clinical subtypes and symptoms.Brain. 1998; 121 ([PubMed: 9577394]): 687-697
- Multiple Sclerosis.N Engl J Med. 2000; 343 ([PubMed: 11006371]): 938-952
- Spinal cord quantitative MRI discriminates between disability levels in multiple sclerosis.Neurology. 2013; 80 ([PubMed: 23325903]): 540-547
- Multiparametric MRI correlates of sensorimotor function in the spinal cord in multiple sclerosis.Mult Scler. 2013; 19 ([PubMed: 22891033]): 427-435
- Diagnostic criteria for multiple sclerosis: 2005 revisions to the “McDonald criteria”.Ann Neurol. 2005; 58 ([PubMed: 16283615]): 840-846
- Upper cervical cord area in early relapsing-remitting multiple sclerosis: cross-sectional study of factors influencing cord size.J Magn Reson Imaging. 2006; 23 ([PubMed: 16521094]): 473-476
- A multicenter assessment of cervical cord atrophy among MS clinical phenotypes.Neurology. 2011; 76 ([PubMed: 21670439]): 2096-2102
- Spinal cord atrophy and disability in MS: a longitudinal study.Neurology. 1998; 51 ([PubMed: 9674808]): 234-238
- Contribution of impaired mobility to patient burden in multiple sclerosis.Curr Med Res Opin. 2010; 26 ([PubMed: 19916707]): 109-119
- Biplanar MRI for the assessment of the spinal cord in multiple sclerosis.Mult Scler. 2012; 18 ([PubMed: 22539086]): 1560-1569
- Predictors of quality of life among multiple sclerosis patients: a comprehensive analysis.Eur J Neurol. 2013; 20 ([PubMed: 23294397]): 756-764
- Comparison of three different methods for measurement of cervical cord atrophy in multiple sclerosis.Am J Neuroradiol. 2008; 29 ([PubMed: 17974604]): 319-325