- •Risk stratification and mitigation tools are important for all disease modifying agents in multiple sclerosis.
- •Selection of disease modifying agents involves an understanding of the risk and benefits of medications.
- •Tailor treatment to disease activity and patient characteristics to ensure an optimal balance of efficacy and safety.
Purchase one-time access:Academic & Personal: 24 hour online accessCorporate R&D Professionals: 24 hour online access
One-time access price info
- For academic or personal research use, select 'Academic and Personal'
- For corporate R&D use, select 'Corporate R&D Professionals'
Subscribe:Subscribe to Multiple Sclerosis and Related Disorders
- Evolution of T1 black holes in patients with multiple sclerosis imaged monthly for 4 years.Brain. 2003; 126: 1782-1789
- Immunopharmacological profile of a novel isoxazol derivative, HWA 486, with potential antirheumatic activity – I. disease modifying action on adjuvant arthritis of the rat.Int J Immunopharmacol. 1985; 7: 7-18
- Effects of leflunomide on immune responses and models of inflammation.Semin Immunopathol. 1993; 14: 381-394
Biogen Idec. Tysabri (natalizumab) injection: full prescribing information; March 2011.
Biogen Idec. Medical information web site. 〈https://medinfo.biogenidec.com/〉; updated 2013. [accessed 07.12.13].
- Risk of natalizumab-associated progressive multifocal leukoencephalopathy.N Engl J Med. 2012; 366: 1870-1880
- A pilot trial of cop 1 in exacerbating-remitting multiple sclerosis.N Engl J Med. 1987; 317: 408-414
- Anti-john cunnigham virus antibody prevalence in multiple sclerosis patients: baseline results of STRATIFY-1.Ann Neurol. 2011; 70: 742-750
- Alemtuzumab vs. interferon beta-1a in early multiple sclerosis.N Engl J Med. 2008; 359: 1786-1801
- Modeling probability of additional cases of natalizumab-associated JCV sero-negative progressive multifocal leukoencephalopathy.Mult Scler. 2013;
- Mechanism of action of oral fingolimod (FTY720) in multiple sclerosis.Clin Neuropharmacol. 2010; 33: 91-101
- Natalizumab-associated progressive multifocal leukoencephalopathy in patients with multiple sclerosis: lessons from 28 cases.Lancet Neurol. 2010; 9: 438-446
ClinicalTrials.gov. A study comparing the effectiveness and safety of teriflunomide and interferon beta-1a in patients with relapsing multiple sclerosis (TENERE).
Cohen J. Long-term safety of fingolimod in relapsing multiple sclerosis: update to integrated analyses of phase 2 and 3 studies and extension phases. In: Proceedings of the 28th congress of the European committee for treatment and research in multiple sclerosis; October 12, 2012.
- Oral fingolimod or intramuscular interferon for relapsing multiple sclerosis.N Engl J Med. 2010; 362: 402-415
- Alemtuzumab versus interferon beta 1a as first-line treatment for patients with relapsing-remitting multiple sclerosis: a randomised controlled phase 3 trial.Lancet. 2012; 380: 1819-1828
- Alemtuzumab more effective than interferon beta-1a at 5-year follow-up of CAMMS223 clinical trial.Neurology. 2012; 78: 1069-1078
- Alemtuzumab for patients with relapsing multiple sclerosis after disease-modifying therapy: a randomised controlled phase 3 trial.Lancet. 2012; 380: 1829-1839
- Long-term safety of oral fingolimod (FTY720) in relapsing multiple sclerosis: integrated analyses of phase 2 and 3 studies (P843).Mult Scler. 2010; 16: S295
- Effect of glatiramer acetate on conversion to clinically definite multiple sclerosis in patients with clinically isolated syndrome (PreCISe study): a randomised, double-blind, placebo-controlled trial.Lancet. 2009; 374: 1503-1511
- Long-term follow-up of a phase 2 study of oral teriflunomide in relapsing multiple sclerosis: safety and efficacy results up to 8.5 years.Mult Scler. 2012; 18: 1278-1289
- Autoimmune disease after alemtuzumab treatment for multiple sclerosis in a multicenter cohort.Neurology. 2011; 77: 573-579
- Lymphocyte homeostasis following therapeutic lymphocyte depletion in multiple sclerosis.Eur J Immunol. 2005; 35: 3332-3342
- Mechanisms of action of interferons and glatiramer acetate in multiple sclerosis.Neurology. 2002; 58: S3-S9
- Selective stimulation of T helper 2 cytokine responses by the anti-psoriasis agent monomethylfumarate.Eur J Immunol. 1996; 26: 2067-2074
- PML in a patient treated with fumaric acid.N Engl J Med. 2013; 368: 1657-1658
FDA. Gilenya (fingolimod): drug safety communication – safety review of a reported death after the first dose.
FDA. Fingolimod drug label; 2010.
FDA. FDA drug safety communication: new risk factor for progressive multifocal leukoencephalopathy (PML) associated with tysabri (natalizumab); 2012a.
FDA. FDA drug safety communication: revised recommendations for cardiovascular monitoring and use of multiple sclerosis drug gilenya (fingolimod); 2012b.
FDA. Tecfidera FDA approved labeling; 2013a.
FDA. Peripheral and central nervous system drugs advisory committee meeting: Alemtuzumab (BLA 103948\5139) background package; November 13, 2013b.
FDA. FDA drug safety communication: FDA investigating rare brain infection in patient taking gilenya (fingolimod); 2013c. Available from: 〈http://www.fda.gov/Drugs/DrugSafety/ucm366529.htm〉.
- Disability and T2 MRI lesions: a 20-year follow-up of patients with relapse onset of multiple sclerosis.Brain. 2008; 131: 808-817
- Continuous long-term immunomodulatory therapy in relapsing multiple sclerosis: results from the 15-year analysis of the US prospective open-label study of glatiramer acetate.Mult Scler. 2010; 16: 342-350
- Placebo-controlled phase 3 study of oral BG-12 or glatiramer in multiple sclerosis.N Engl J Med. 2012; 367: 1087-1097
- Hepatic reactions during treatment of multiple sclerosis with interferon-beta-1a: incidence and clinical significance.Drug Saf. 2003; 26: 815-827
- Effect of campath-1H antibody on human hematopoietic progenitors in vitro.Blood. 1993; 82: 807-812
- The long-term safety and tolerability of high-dose interferon beta-1a in relapsing-remitting multiple sclerosis: 4-year data from the PRISMS study.Eur J Neurol. 2005; 12: 649-656
- Placebo-controlled phase 3 study of oral BG-12 for relapsing multiple sclerosis.N Engl J Med. 2012; 367: 1098-1107
- Anti-JC virus antibodies: Implications for PML risk stratification.Ann Neurol. 2010; 68: 295-303
- Inhibition of dihydroorotate dehydrogenase by the immunosuppressive agent leflunomide.Biochem Pharmacol. 1995; 50: 861-867
- Long-term safety aspects of systemic therapy with fumaric acid esters in severe psoriasis.Br J Dermatol. 2003; 149: 363-369
- Assessing changes in relapse rates in multiple sclerosis.Mult.Scler. 2010; 16: 1414-1421
- Intramuscular interferon beta-1a therapy initiated during a first demyelinating event in multiple sclerosis.N Engl J Med. 2000; 343: 898-904
- Copolymer 1 reduces relapse rate and improves disability in relapsing-remitting multiple sclerosis: results of a phase III multicenter, double-blind, placebo-controlled trial. 1995.Neurology. 2001; 57: S16-S24
- IL-21 drives secondary autoimmunity in patients with multiple sclerosis, following therapeutic lymphocyte depletion with alemtuzumab (campath-1H).J Clin Investig. 2009; 119: 2052-2061
- A placebo-controlled trial of oral fingolimod in relapsing multiple sclerosis.N Engl J Med. 2010; 362: 387-401
- Three times weekly glatiramer acetate in relapsing-remitting multiple sclerosis.Ann Neurol. 2013; 73: 705-713
- Effect of plasma exchange in accelerating natalizumab clearance and restoring leukocyte function.Neurology. 2009; 72: 402-409
- Progressive multifocal leukoencephalopathy complicating treatment with natalizumab and interferon beta-1a for multiple sclerosis.N Engl J Med. 2005; 353: 369-374
- Modulation of effector cell functions in experimental autoimmune encephalomyelitis by leflunomide – mechanisms independent of pyrimidine depletion.J Leukoc Biol. 2004; 76: 950-960
- Progressive multifocal leukoencephalopathy in a patient treated with natalizumab.N Engl J Med. 2005; 353: 375-381
- Magnetic resonance imaging results of the PRISMS trial: a randomized, double-blind, placebo-controlled study of interferon-beta1a in relapsing-remitting multiple sclerosis. prevention of relapses and disability by interferon-beta1a subcutaneously in multiple sclerosis.Ann Neurol. 1999; 46: 197-206
- Sudden unexpected death on fingolimod.Mult Scler. 2012; 18: 1507-1508
- Fumaric acid esters exert neuroprotective effects in neuroinflammation via activation of the Nrf2 antioxidant pathway.Brain. 2011; 134: 678-692
- Effect of relapses on development of residual deficit in multiple sclerosis.Neurology. 2003; 61: 1528-1532
- Randomized study combining interferon and glatiramer acetate in multiple sclerosis.Ann Neurol. 2013; 73: 327-340
- Teriflunomide efficacy and safety in patients with relapsing multiple sclerosis: results from TOWER, a second, pivotal, phase 3 placebo-controlled study.Neurology. 2013; 80
- MRI outcomes in a placebo-controlled trial of natalizumab in relapsing MS.Neurology. 2007; 68: 1390-1401
- Course of depression during the initiation of interferon beta-1a treatment for multiple sclerosis.Arch Neurol. 1999; 56: 1263-1265
Novartis. Novartis statement: Gilenya (fingolimod) safety information update; 2012.
Novartis. Gilenya world watch. 〈http://gilenya-world-watch.com/English.html〉; updated 2013 [accessed 07.12.13].
- 250 microg or 500 microg interferon beta-1b versus 20 mg glatiramer acetate in relapsing-remitting multiple sclerosis: a prospective, randomised, multicentre study.Lancet Neurol. 2009; 8: 889-897
- Randomized trial of oral teriflunomide for relapsing multiple sclerosis.N Engl J Med. 2011; 365: 1293-1303
- An update of teriflunomide for treatment of multiple sclerosis.J Ther Clin Risk Manag. 2013; 9: 177-190
- Interferon beta-1a and depression in relapsing-remitting multiple sclerosis: an analysis of depression data from the PRISMS clinical trial.Mult Scler. 2001; 7: 243-248
- Interferon beta-1b is effective in relapsing-remitting multiple sclerosis. II. MRI analysis results of a multicenter, randomized, double-blind, placebo-controlled trial.Neurology. 1993; 43: 662-667
- JCV antibody index stratifies PML risk in natalizumab-treated MS patients.Consort Mult Scler Centers. 2013; DX51
- A randomized, placebo-controlled trial of natalizumab for relapsing multiple sclerosis.N Engl J Med. 2006; 354: 899-910
- PRISMS-4: long-term efficacy of interferon-beta-1a in relapsing MS.Neurology. 2001; 56: 1628-1636
- Randomised double-blind placebo-controlled study of interferon beta-1a in relapsing/remitting multiple sclerosis.Lancet. 1998; 352: 1498-1504
- Impact of fingolimod therapy on magnetic resonance imaging outcomes in patients with multiple sclerosis.Arch Neurol. 2012; 69: 1259-1269
- Annualized relapse rate of first-line treatments for multiple sclerosis: a meta-analysis, including indirect comparisons versus fingolimod.Curr Med Res Opin. 2012; 28: 767-780
- Natalizumab plus interferon beta-1a for relapsing multiple sclerosis.N Engl J Med. 2006; 354: 911-923
- Black holes in multiple sclerosis: definition, evolution, and clinical correlations.Acta Neurol Scand. 2010; 122: 1-8
Sheikh S., Nestorov I., Russell H., et al. Safety, tolerability, and pharmacokinetics of BG-12 administered with and without aspirin: key findings from a randomized, double-blind, placebo-controlled trial in healthy volunteers (P04.136). Neurology. 2012;78(Meeting Abstracts 1):P04.136.
- Combined MRI lesions and relapses as a surrogate for disability in multiple sclerosis.Neurology. 2011; 77: 1684-1690
- Placebo cohorts in phase-3 MS treatment trials - predictors for on-trial disease activity 1990–2010 based on a meta-analysis and individual case data.PLoS One. 2012; 7: e50347
- Manufacturer׳s response to case reports of PML.N Engl J Med. 2013; 368: 1659-1661
- Suppression of experimental allergic encephalomyelitis by a synthetic polypeptide.Eur J Immunol. 1971; 1: 242-248
- Liver injury associated with the beta-interferons for MS: a comparison between the three products.Neurology. 2004; 62: 628-631
- Interferon beta-1b is effective in relapsing-remitting multiple sclerosis. I. Clinical results of a multicenter, randomized, double-blind, placebo-controlled trial..Neurology. 1993; 43: 655-661
- PML in a patient treated with dimethyl fumarate from a compounding pharmacy.N Engl J Med. 2013; 368: 1658-1659
- Progressive multifocal leukoencephalopathy after natalizumab therapy for Crohn׳s disease.N Engl J Med. 2005; 353: 362-368
- Depression and multiple sclerosis: review of a lethal combination.J Rehab Res Dev. 2006; 43: 45-62
- Prevention of experimental autoimmune encephalomyelitis by antibodies against alpha 4 beta 1 integrin.Nature. 1992; 356: 63-66
- A longitudinal study of brain atrophy and cognitive disturbances in the early phase of relapsing-remitting multiple sclerosis.J Neurol Neurosurg Psychiatry. 2001; 70: 773-780