Vitamin D status is a risk factor for multiple sclerosis development and inflammatory activity.
Presently, there is no evidence that vitamin D is neuroprotective and can limit disability.
The anterior visual pathway is a feasible model to study the neuroprotective impact of vitamin D.
Purchase one-time access:Academic & Personal: 24 hour online accessCorporate R&D Professionals: 24 hour online access
One-time access price info
- For academic or personal research use, select 'Academic and Personal'
- For corporate R&D use, select 'Corporate R&D Professionals'
Subscribe:Subscribe to Multiple Sclerosis and Related Disorders
- Some comments on the relationship of the distribution of multiple sclerosis to latitude, solar radiation and other variables.Acta Psychiatrica et Neurologica. 1960; 147: 132-147
- Magnetization transfer ratio MRI metrics predict the accumulation of disability 8 years later in patients with multiple sclerosis.Brain. 2006; 126: 2620-2627
- Atrophy mainly affects the limbic system and the deep gray matter at the first stage of multiple sclerosis.Journal of Neurology, Neurosurgery, and Psychiatry. 2010; 81: 690-695
- A randomized, controlled trial of corticosteroids in the treatment of acute optic neuritis.New England Journal of Medicine. 1992; 326: 581-588
- A phase I/II dose-escalation trial of vitamin D3 and calcium in multiple sclerosis.Neurology. 2010; 74: 1852-1859
Burton JM, Trufyn J, Tung C, Costello F. The role of vitamin D in optic neuritis—an update. Presented at the American Academy of Neurology 65th Annual Meeting. San Diego, CA; 2013.
- Invesigation of MS normal-appearing brain using diffusion tensor MRI with clinical correlations.Neurology. 2001; 56: 926-933
- Quantifying axonal loss after optic neuritis with optical coherence tomography.Annals of Neurology. 2006; 59: 963-969
- Tracking retinal nerve fiber layer loss after optic neuritis: a prospective study using optical coherence tomography.Multiple Sclerosis. 2008; 14: 893-905
- Optical coherence tomography in the diagnosis and management of optic neuritis and multiple sclerosis.Ophthalmic Surgery, Lasers & Imaging. 2011; 48: S28-S40
- Origin of the visual evoked potentials.in: Heckenlively J.R. Arden G.B. Principles and practice of clinical electrophysiology of vision. The MIT Press, Cambridge2006: 207-234
- Magnetization transfer and diffusion tensor MR imaging of basal ganglia from patients with multiple sclerosis.Journal of the Neurological Sciences. 2001; 183: 69-72
- Relation of visual function to retinal nerve fiber layer thickness in multiple sclerosis.Ophthalmology. 2006; 113: 324-332
- The relation between inflammation and neurodegeneration in multiple sclerosis brains.Brain. 2009; 132: 1175-1189
- Optical coherence tomography: a window into the mechanisms of multiple sclerosis.Nature Clinical Practice Neurology. 2008; 4: 664-675
- Optical coherence tomography (OCT): imaging the visual pathway as a model for neurodegeneration.Neurotherapeutics. 2011; 8: 117-132
- Ocular pathology in multiple sclerosis: retinal atrophy and inflammation irrespective of disease duration.Brain. 2010; 133: 1591-1601
- Diffusion tensor imaging in early relapsing-remitting multiple sclerosis.Multiple Sclerosis. 2001; 7: 290-297
- Multiple sclerosis: Decreased relapse rate through dietary supplementation with calcium, magnesium and vitamin D.Medical Hypotheses. 1986; 21: 193-200
- Vitamin D insufficiency in North America.Journal of Nutrition. 2005; 135: 332-337
Health Canada. 〈http://www.hc-sc.gc.ca/fn-an/nutrition/vitamin/vita-d-eng.php〉.
- A serial study of retinal changes following optic neuritis with sample size estimates for acute neuroprotection trials.Brain. 2010; 133: 2592-2602
- Regional gray matter atrophy in clinically isolated syndromes at presentation.Journal of Neurology, Neurosurgery, and Psychiatry. 2008; 79: 1236-1244
- Management of acute optic neuritis.Lancet. 2002; 360: 1953-1962
- Childhood sun exposure influences risk of multiple sclerosis in monozygotic twins.Neurology. 2007; 69: 381-388
- Localized gray matter damage in early primary progressive multiple sclerosis contributes to disability.Neuroimage. 2007; 37: 253-261
- Axonal loss and myelin in early ON loss in postacute optic neuritis.Annals of Neurology. 2008; 64: 325-331
- Correlation between full-field and multifocal VEPs in optic neuritis.Documenta Ophthalmologica. 2008; 116: 19-27
- Multifocal VEP and OCT in optic neuritis: a topographical study of the structure-function relationship.Documenta Ophthalmologica. 2009; 118: 129-137
- Interrelationship of optical coherence tomography and multifocal visual evoked potentials after optic neuritis.Investigative Ophthalmology and Visual Science. 2010; 51: 2770-2777
- Axonal injury in multiple sclerosis (editorial).Journal of Neurology, Neurosurgery, and Psychiatry. 2003; 74: 695-697
- Clinically isolated syndromes suggestive of multiple sclerosis, part 2: non-conventional MRI, recovery processes, and management..Lancet Neurology. 2005; 4: 341-348
- Vitamin D status is associated with relapse rate in pediatric-onset multiple sclerosis.Annals of Neurology. 2010; 67: 618-624
- Vitamin D status predicts new brain magnetic resonance imaging activity in multiple sclerosis.Annals of Neurology. 2012; 72: 234-240
- Serum 25-hydroxyvitamin D levels and risk of multiple sclerosis.Journal of the American Medical Association. 2006; 296: 2832-2838
- Diffusion-tensor MR imaging at cortical lesions in multiple sclerosis: initial findings.Radiology. 2008; 246: 880-886
- Optical coherence tomography and disease subtype in multiple sclerosis.Neurology. 2007; 69: 2085-2092
- Gray matter damage predicts the evolution of primary progressive multiple sclerosis at 5 years.Brain. 2006; 129: 2628-2634
- Primary retinal pathology in multiple sclerosis as detected by optical coherence tomography.Brain. 2011; 134: 518-533
Schwalfenberg GK, Genuis SJ, Hiltz MN. Addressing vitamin D deficiency in Canada: a public health innovation whose time has come. Public Health 2010;124(6):350-359
Simpson S Jr, Taylor B, Blizzard L, Ponsonby AL, Pittas F, Tremlett H, et al., Higher 25-hydroxyvitamin D is associated with lower relapse risk in MS. Ann Neurol 2010;68(2):193-203.
- Association of vitamin D metabolite levels with relapse rate and disability in multiple sclerosis.Multiple Sclerosis. 2008; 14: 1220-1224
- 25-Hydroxyvitamin D levels in serum at the onset of multiple sclerosis.Multiple Sclerosis. 2005; 11: 266-271
- A longitudinal study of serum 25-hydroxyvitamin D and intact parathyroid hormone levels indicate the importance of vitamin D and calcium homeostasis regulation in multiple sclerosis.Journal of Neurology, Neurosurgery, and Psychiatry. 2008; 79: 152-157
- A randomised, double blind, placebo controlled trial with vitamin D3 as an add on treatment to interferon beta-1b in patients with multiple sclerosis.Journal of Neurology, Neurosurgery, and Psychiatry. 2012; 83: 565-571
Supplementation of VigantOL® oil versus placebo as add-on in patients with relapsing remitting multiple sclerosis receiving Rebif® treatment (SOLAR). ClinicalTrials.gov Identifier: NCT01285401.
- Optical coherence tomography segmentation reveals ganglion cell layer pathology after optic neuritis.Brain. 2012; 135: 521-533
- Deep gray matter atrophy in multiple sclerosis: a tensor based morphometry.Journal of the Neurological Sciences. 2009; 282: 36-46
- Retinal nerve fiber layer axonal loss and visual dysfunction in optic neuritis.Annals of Neurology. 2005; 58: 383-391
- Thalamic involvement and its impact on clinical disability in patients with multiple sclerosis: a diffusion tensor imaging study at 3 T.AJNR American Journal of Neuroradiology. 2009; 30: 1380-1386
- Geographic distribution of multiple sclerosis.Diseases of the Nervous System. 1948; 9: 342
- Color vision is strongly associated with retinal thinning in multiple sclerosis.Multiple Sclerosis. 2012; 18: 991-999
- Studies of associations between disability in multiple sclerosis, skin type, gender and ultraviolet radiation.Multiple Sclerosis. 2007; 13: 369-375
- Regional variation in multiple sclerosis prevalence in Australia and its association with ambient ultraviolet radiation.Neuroepidemiology. 2001; 20: 168-174
- Past exposure to sun, skin phenotype, and risk of multiple sclerosis: case-control study.British Medical Journal. 2003; 327: 316
Vitamin D in multiple sclerosis. ClinicalTrials.gov identifier: NCT identifier 01490502.