- •One or more neurological comorbid disease was present in 17.1% of MS patients.
- •The 21-year survival rate from time of diagnosis was 90.5%.
- •The survival rate was grater compared in other studies.
- •Only the prevalence of epilepsy was increased in MS compared to the general population.
There is increasing interest in the survival of multiple sclerosis (MS). MS itself may decrease life expectancy; however, several other comorbid diseases may also influence survival.
We aimed to evaluate frequency of other neurological conditions and survival in the population-based Finnish Northern Ostrobothnia MS cohort.
The frequencies of neurological comorbid diseases and their associations with gender, clinical course, disability level (EDSS) and duration of MS were evaluated in population based cohort of 491 patients with clinically definite MS that was diagnosed between 1990 and 2010. The survival rate of the patients was also analysed.
One or more neurological comorbid disease was present in 17.1% of patients (n=84). The prevalence of epilepsy in MS patients was 4.7%, which is greater than that in the general population. Migraine was significantly more common in women with a benign MS course when compared to other types of MS (p=0.046). A significant association between peripheral nervous system disorders and primary progressive MS was found (p=0.027). The 21-year survival rate from time of diagnosis was 90.5%. Stroke decreased the 21-year survival rate of the patients (p=0.003). An association between stroke prevalence and the duration of MS disease was also detected (p=0.023).
This is the first report of multifaceted neurological comorbidities in MS patients. Neurological comorbidity is rather common in MS. However, only the prevalence of epilepsy was increased in MS patients compared to the general population. An association between peripheral nervous system disorders and primary progressive MS was also found. The 21-year survival rate was greater in the present population based cohort compared in other studies, but stroke seems to decrease the survival rate in MS patients.
To read this article in full you will need to make a payment
Purchase one-time access:Academic & Personal: 24 hour online accessCorporate R&D Professionals: 24 hour online access
One-time access price info
- For academic or personal research use, select 'Academic and Personal'
- For corporate R&D use, select 'Corporate R&D Professionals'
Subscribe:Subscribe to Multiple Sclerosis and Related Disorders
Already a print subscriber? Claim online access
Already an online subscriber? Sign in
Register: Create an account
Institutional Access: Sign in to ScienceDirect
- Vascular disease among hospitalized multiple sclerosis patients.Neuroepidemiology. 2008; 30: 234-238
- Revised terminology and concepts for organization of seizures and epilepsies: report of the ILAE commission on classification and terminology, 2005–2009.Epilepsia. 2010; 51: 676-685
- Neurological comorbidity in parkinsonism.Revue Neurologique. 2001; 157: 45-54
- The impact of migraine: epidemiology, risk factors, and co-morbidities.Neurology. 2001; 56: S4-S12
- Trends in survival and cause of death in danish patients with multiple sclerosis.Brain. 2004; 127: 844-850
- Relationships between multiple sclerosis and depression.Journal of Neuropsychiatry and Clinical Neurosciences. 2011; 23: 198-200
- Multiple sclerosis and epileptic seizures.Multiple Sclerosis. 2011; 17: 96-102
- Risk of arterial cardiovascular diseases in patients with multiple sclerosis: A population-based cohort study.Neuroepidemiology. 2010; 35: 267-274
- Prevalence of primary headaches in people with multiple sclerosis.Cephalalgia. 2004; 24: 980-984
- Frequency of chronic headaches in japanese patients with multiple sclerosis: with special reference to opticospinal and common forms of multiple sclerosis.Headache. 2009; 49: 1513-1520
- Sleep disorders in multiple sclerosis.Seminars in Neurology. 2005; 25: 64-68
- The epidemiology of epilepsy in Europe—a systematic review.European Journal of Neurology. 2005; 12: 245-253
- Peripheral nervous system involvement in multiple sclerosis.European Journal of Neurology. 2011; 18: 789-791
- Survival in MS: a randomized cohort study 21 years after the start of the pivotal IFNbeta-1b trial.Neurology. 2012; 78: 1315-1322
- Multiple sclerosis and risk of cancer: a meta-analysis.Journal of Neurology, Neurosurgery and Psychiatry. 2010; 81: 1413-1414
- Comorbidities amongst patients with multiple sclerosis: a population-based controlled study.European Journal of Neurology. 2010; 17: 1215-1219
- Tension-type headache and migraine in multiple sclerosis.Current Pain and Headache Reports. 2010; 14: 441-448
- Validating the assessment of comorbidity in multiple sclerosis: another step towards comprehensive health care.Neuroepidemiology. 2010; 35: 91-92
- Treatment of seizures in multiple sclerosis.Cochrane Database of Systematic Reviews (Online). 2009; (CD007150)
- Increasing incidence of multiple sclerosis in women in northern Finland.Multiple sclerosis. 2011; 17: 133-138
- Headache and multiple sclerosis: Clinical and therapeutic correlations.Neurological Sciences. 2009; 30: S23-S26
- Comorbidity, socioeconomic status and multiple sclerosis.Multiple Sclerosis. 2008; 14: 1091-1098
- Recommended diagnostic criteria for multiple sclerosis: guidelines from the international panel on the diagnosis of multiple sclerosis.Annals of Neurology. 2001; 50: 121-127
- Stroke monitoring on a national level: PERFECT stroke, a comprehensive, registry-linkage stroke database in Finland.Stroke. 2010; 41: 2239-2246
- Prevalence of restless legs syndrome and periodic limb movement disorder in the general population.Journal of Psychosomatic Research. 2002; 53: 547-554
- Diagnostic criteria for multiple sclerosis: 2005 revisions to the “McDonald criteria”.Annals of Neurology. 2005; 58: 840-846
- Epilepsy and multiple sclerosis.Epilepsy Behavior. 2003; 4: 6-12
- New diagnostic criteria for multiple sclerosis: Guidelines for research protocols.Annals of Neurology. 1983; 13: 227-231
- Survival in multiple sclerosis.Journal of Clinical Epidemiology. 1989; 42: 159-168
- Headache in multiple sclerosis.Current Pain and Headache Reports. 2010; 14: 316-320
- Prevalence of migraine, tension-type headache and trigeminal neuralgia in multiple sclerosis.European Journal of Neurology. 2009; 16: 262-267
- Causes of death among patients with multiple sclerosis.Multiple Sclerosis. 2010; 16: 1437-1442
- Survival of multiple sclerosis in Finland between 1964 and 1993.Multiple Sclerosis. 2002; 8: 350-355
- The natural history of multiple sclerosis.Neurologic Clinics. 1995; 13: 119-146
- Neurological comorbidity and epilepsy: implications for treatment.Acta Neurologica Scandinavica. 2009; 120: 1-15
Published online: July 22, 2013
Accepted: June 17, 2013
Received in revised form: June 13, 2013
Received: March 6, 2013
© 2013 Elsevier B.V. Published by Elsevier Inc. All rights reserved.