- The term ‘complex disease’ has no useful meaning and should not be used.
- Multicase pedigrees do not necessarily have a primary genetic basis.
- Classic twin studies MS are inconclusive.
- GWAS have not isolated any mutations for MS, unlike familial parkinsonism.
- The words ‘epigenetic’ and ‘epistasis’ are speculative processes for MS.
- The balance of current evidence does not support a major genetic role in MS.
Purchase one-time access:Academic & Personal: 24 hour online accessCorporate R&D Professionals: 24 hour online access
One-time access price info
- For academic or personal research use, select 'Academic and Personal'
- For corporate R&D use, select 'Corporate R&D Professionals'
Subscribe:Subscribe to Multiple Sclerosis and Related Disorders
- Environmental risk factors for multiple sclerosis. Part I: the role of infection.Annals of Neurology. 2007; 61: 288-299
- Environmental risk factors for multiple sclerosis. Part II: Noninfectious factors.Annals of Neurology. 2007; 61: 504-513
- Genome, epigenome and RNA sequences of monozygotic twins discordant for multiple sclerosis.Nature. 2010; 464: 1351-1356
- Genetics of multiple sclerosis: swimming in an ocean of data.Current Opinion in Neurology. 2012; 25: 239-245
- Genetics of host resistance and susceptibility to intramacrophage pathogens: a study of multicase families of tuberculosis, leprosy and leishmaniasis in north-eastern Brazil.International Journal for Parasitology. 1998; 28: 21-28
- Biosocial factors affecting vitamin D status of women of childbearing age in the United Arab Emirates.Journal of Biosocial Science. 1998; 30: 431-437
- Vitamin D receptor binding, chromatin states and association with multiple sclerosis.Human Molecular Genetics. 2012; 21: 3575-3586
- A multigenerational family with multiple sclerosis.Brain. 2002; 125: 1474-1482
- The genetics of multiple sclerosis: an up-to-date review.Immunological Reviews. 2012; 248: 87-103
- Vitamin D status and bone mineral density of veiled and unveiled Turkish women.Journal of Women's Health and Gender-Based Medicine. 2001; 10: 765-770
- Risk for multiple sclerosis in dizygotic and monozygotic twins.Multiple Sclerosis. 2005; 11: 500-503
- Twin studies and the heritability of MS: a conclusion.Multiple Sclerosis. 2009; 15: 661-667
- Differential twin concordance for multiple sclerosis by latitude of birthplace.Annals of Neurology. 2006; 60: 56-64
- The influence of HLA class I alleles and heterozygosity on the outcome of human T cell lymphotropic virus type I infection.Journal of Immunology. 2000; 165: 7278-7284
LeishGEN Consortium; Wellcome Trust Case Control Consortium 2, Fakiola M, Strange A, Cordell HJ, Miller EN, Pirinen M, Su Z, et al. Common variants in the HLA-DRB1-HLA-DQA1 HLA class II region are associated with susceptibility to visceral leishmaniasis. Nature Genetics 2013;45(2):208–13.
- Genetics of type 1 diabetes.Cold Spring Harbor Perspectives in Medicine. 2012; 2: a007732
- Rare variants in the CYP27B1 gene are associated with multiple sclerosis.Annals of Neurology. 2011; 70: 881-886
- Epistasis and immunity: the role of genetic interactions in autoimmune diseases.Immunology. 2012;
- Genetic background of multiple sclerosis.Autoimmunity Reviews. 2012; 11: 163-166
- Vitamin D-dependent rickets as a possible risk factor for multiple sclerosis.Archives of Neurology. 2008; 65: 809-811
- Venezuelan kindreds reveal that genetic and environmental factors modulate Huntington's disease age of onset.Proceedings of the National Academy of Sciences of the United States of America. 2004; 101: 3498-3503
Wikipedia 〈http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Epigenetics〉, 2012
- A systematic review of nutritional rickets in Ethiopia: status and prospects.Ethiopian Medical Journal. 2005; 43: 203-210
- A genome-wide homozygosity association study identifies runs of homozygosity associated with rheumatoid arthritis in the human major histocompatibility complex.PLoS One. 2012; 7: e34840
- Genomewide association study of leprosy.New England Journal of Medicine. 2009; 361: 2609-2618