The use of interferon-beta in multiple sclerosis is associated with various forms of hepatotoxicity, including autoimmune hepatitis and liver failure. We describe a case with features of autoimmune liver disease and primary biliary cirrhosis occurring during long-term treatment with interferon-beta in a patient with relapsing-remitting multiple sclerosis. This case highlights the importance of monitoring biochemical liver test results throughout interferon-beta treatment of multiple sclerosis.
To read this article in full you will need to make a payment
Purchase one-time access:Academic & Personal: 24 hour online accessCorporate R&D Professionals: 24 hour online access
One-time access price info
- For academic or personal research use, select 'Academic and Personal'
- For corporate R&D use, select 'Corporate R&D Professionals'
Subscribe:Subscribe to Multiple Sclerosis and Related Disorders
Already a print subscriber? Claim online access
Already an online subscriber? Sign in
Register: Create an account
Institutional Access: Sign in to ScienceDirect
- Primary biliary cirrhosis.Gastroenterology Clinics of North America. 2011; 40: 373-386
- Overlap syndromes: the International Autoimmune Hepatitis Group (IAIHG) position statement on a controversial issue.Journal of Hepatology. 2011; 54: 374-385
- Primary biliary cirrhosis-autoimmune hepatitis overlap syndrome: clinical features and response to therapy.Hepatology. 1998; 28: 296-301
- Interferon treatment for multiple sclerosis: autoimmune complications may be lethal.Neurology. 1998; 50: 570-571
- Severe acute hepatitis after resumption of interferon-beta therapy for multiple sclerosis: a word of caution.American Journal of Gastroenterology. 2007; 102: 2606-2607
- Biochemical markers of alcoholism.Clinical Chemistry and Laboratory Medicine. 2007; 45: 953-961
Health Canada. Hepatic injury associated with beta-interferon treatment for multiple sclerosis. Retrieved January 1, 2003 from 〈http://www.hc-sc.gc.ca/dhp-mps/medeff/advisories-avis/prof/_2003/beta_interferon_hpc-cps-eng.php〉.
- Classical HLA-DRB1 and DPB1 alleles account for HLA associations with primary biliary cirrhosis.Genes and Immunity. 2012; https://doi.org/10.1038/gene.2012.17
- Autoimmune hepatitis.Nature Reviews Gastroenterology and Hepatology. 2011; 8: 320-329
- Characterization and clinical impact of antinuclear antibodies in primary biliary cirrhosis.American Journal of Gastroenterology. 2003; 98: 431-437
- Antimitochondrial antibodies and other antibodies in primary biliary cirrhosis: diagnostic and prognostic value.Clinics in Liver Disease. 2008; 12: 261-276
- New diagnostic criteria for multiple sclerosis: guidelines for research protocols.Annals of Neurology. 1983; 13: 227-231
- Unmasking of autoimmune hepatitis in a patient with MS following interferon beta therapy.Neurology. 2006; 66: 1954-1955
- Liver injury associated with the beta-interferons for MS: a comparison between the three products.Neurology. 2004; 62: 628-631
- Fulminant liver failure during interferon beta treatment of multiple sclerosis.Neurology. 2001; 56: 1416
Accepted: July 17, 2012
Received in revised form: July 12, 2012
Received: May 26, 2012
☆This case report was written with the consent of the patient.
© 2012 Elsevier B.V. Published by Elsevier Inc. All rights reserved.